    How do I set up having the user profile folders stored on the server and not
    the local machine?

    Any help would be most welcome.
    Jo, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Jo

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Jo" <> wrote in news::

    > Within the next few weeks I'll be replacing my Win98se machines with
    > XP Pro machines, running off an NT4 server.
    >
    > At the moment we've tested 1 machine but when we log onto the network
    > a user profile folder is created under C:\Documents and Settings
    > folder.
    >
    > How do I set up having the user profile folders stored on the server
    > and not the local machine?
    >
    > Any help would be most welcome.

    I think you're looking to setup roaming user profiles.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316353

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Jo

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:49:26 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote:

    >"Jo" <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> Within the next few weeks I'll be replacing my Win98se machines with
    >> XP Pro machines, running off an NT4 server.
    >>
    >> At the moment we've tested 1 machine but when we log onto the network
    >> a user profile folder is created under C:\Documents and Settings
    >> folder.
    >>
    >> How do I set up having the user profile folders stored on the server
    >> and not the local machine?
    >>
    >> Any help would be most welcome.
    >>

    >I think you're looking to setup roaming user profiles.
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316353

    That can get messy, if people discover how to set the MSIE cache to
    250MB. Every logon / logoff updates it between the PC/Server.
    (although with the IE Admin Kit , good policy setups can help)

    Me
    why?, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Jo

    Duane Arnold Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    > On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:49:26 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >>"Jo" <> wrote in news::
    >>
    >>> Within the next few weeks I'll be replacing my Win98se machines with
    >>> XP Pro machines, running off an NT4 server.
    >>>
    >>> At the moment we've tested 1 machine but when we log onto the network
    >>> a user profile folder is created under C:\Documents and Settings
    >>> folder.
    >>>
    >>> How do I set up having the user profile folders stored on the server
    >>> and not the local machine?
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be most welcome.
    >>>

    >>I think you're looking to setup roaming user profiles.
    >>
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316353

    > That can get messy, if people discover how to set the MSIE cache to
    > 250MB. Every logon / logoff updates it between the PC/Server.
    > (although with the IE Admin Kit , good policy setups can help)

    I believe you. IMHO, users of Win NT 4.0 should be moving off of the O/S
    since MS will no longer support it for free in six months. Any security
    patches for NT 4.0 for those who are not paying M$ or they don't have
    third party support will not be able to apply security updates.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 30, 2004
  5. Jo

    MC Guest

    My record was when a user didn't realise he had 4Gb, yes 4Gb, worth of stuff
    on his desktop and he thought the machine had crashed when trying to log on
    to a new machine. But of course, the machine was downloading 4Gb of his
    stuff from the server!!!!

    MC, Jun 30, 2004