    How can I join the new domain and still keep the old user profiles on the
    WS?

    Thanks
    Richard Smith, Oct 30, 2004

  2. Richard Smith wrote:

    > We just replaced a NT4 PDC with a Win2003 Server. The XP Pro WS were
    > previously connected to the domain "Hudson". The new domain is also called
    > "Hudson". When I rejoin the WS to the new domain the user profile is lost.
    > How can I join the new domain and still keep the old user profiles on the
    > WS?

    The profiles are not lost, just the new ones got other names. You (as admin)
    have to take ownership of the previous profiles first, then recursively
    give the new domain user (SID changed ...) the full permissions to access
    the old files. You can even move files around, but don't bother with
    ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.log files. Why didn't you follow the procedure to
    overtake the NT SID and the profiles?

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]
    Walter Mautner, Oct 30, 2004

  3. Thanks for your reply.

    I realize that the original profile is still there. I also realize that it
    is a difference in SIDs that is creating the problem. I am just not sure how
    to keep the old profile, and also join the 'new' domain.

    Could you please elaborate on your suggestions to correct the problem, as
    well as the way to 'overtake' the SIDs and profiles correctly for future
    use.

    Thanks

    Richard Smith, Oct 30, 2004
  4. Richard Smith wrote:

    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I realize that the original profile is still there. I also realize that it
    > is a difference in SIDs that is creating the problem. I am just not sure
    > how to keep the old profile, and also join the 'new' domain.
    >
    > Could you please elaborate on your suggestions to correct the problem, as
    > well as the way to 'overtake' the SIDs and profiles correctly for future
    > use.

    You might want to clone the NT4 install onto the HD of your 2003 machine,
    and then update it (nt4 will most probably start at least in safe mode, it
    isn't picky about hardware changes as long as the harddrive controller is
    supported) with 2003 Server. Maybe you can still do that.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]
    Walter Mautner, Oct 30, 2004
  5. Unfortunately the NT4 install does not still exist. We have 2 HD, 1 with OS
    & 1 with data. The data drive was backed up, but the OS drive was not.

    Any ideas on how to get the current profile to be recognized by the new
    domain?

    Richard Smith, Oct 30, 2004
  6. Richard Smith wrote:

    > Unfortunately the NT4 install does not still exist. We have 2 HD, 1 with
    > OS & 1 with data. The data drive was backed up, but the OS drive was not.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to get the current profile to be recognized by the new
    > domain?

    Sounds like a weekend shift. Since no working or clonable install, from
    where the 2003 could inherit the SID, is present anymore, you can just let
    each of your users logon once to the new domain to create a new profile,
    and then copy the old files into the new profile, finally adjust
    permissions. Except ntuser.dat, which isn't exchangeable because it
    contains SID data. You didn't tell if you got local or server profiles, it
    might be necessary to go to all users pcs.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]
    Walter Mautner, Oct 30, 2004