User not showing up on XP-Pro login screen

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by American Pi, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. American Pi

    American Pi Guest

    For security purposes, I created a non-Admin login for everyday use for
    myself. Problem is, I can't get it to show up on the NT welcome screen.
    "Administrator" and "Guest" appear, but not the User account that I'm
    struggling with.

    I looked in the registry at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin
    \SpecialAccounts\UserList and it doesn't show up there, though I see
    Administrator there.

    I tried following instructions in the MS knowledge base, right-clicking on
    My Computer and selecting Manage in the context menu, and then Users.
    However, I found my user account there, and it was not checked as disabled.

    Thanks.

    American Pi, Jan 25, 2004

  2. American Pi

    Robert Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 04:05:02 GMT, American Pi <> wrote:

    >For security purposes, I created a non-Admin login for everyday use for
    >myself. Problem is, I can't get it to show up on the NT welcome screen.
    >"Administrator" and "Guest" appear, but not the User account that I'm
    >struggling with.
    >
    >I looked in the registry at
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin
    >\SpecialAccounts\UserList and it doesn't show up there, though I see
    >Administrator there.
    >

    >I tried following instructions in the MS knowledge base, right-clicking on
    >My Computer and selecting Manage in the context menu, and then Users.
    >However, I found my user account there, and it was not checked as disabled.
    >
    >Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks.

    I had the same problem , I rebooted in safe mode and created a user.
    All your ssettings will need tweaking though............

    Robert, Jan 25, 2004

  3. American Pi

    Unk Guest

    See if this helps:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/security/accesscontrol.asp

    Also TweakUI XP, Logon tab.
    Check the box, "Show {username} on Welcome Screen", Apply, OK

    Unk, Jan 25, 2004
  4. American Pi

    Liz Guest

    "American Pi" wrote
    > For security purposes, I created a non-Admin login for everyday use for
    > myself. Problem is, I can't get it to show up on the NT welcome screen.
    > "Administrator" and "Guest" appear, but not the User account that I'm
    > struggling with.
    >
    > I looked in the registry at
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin
    > \SpecialAccounts\UserList and it doesn't show up there, though I see
    > Administrator there.

    Open your registry and go back to system key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
    CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

    In the right pane, right-click and choose New, create a new
    DWORD value named after the username and set the value to 1.

    Restart Windows for the change to take effect. See if this helps.

    Liz, Jan 25, 2004
  5. American Pi

    American Pi Guest

    Thanks. I tried this and the new account thus created still doesn't show
    up. I also tried tweaking via Tweak UI with no luck, and reviewed the
    urls provided in other posts.

    What am I missing?

    American Pi, Jan 25, 2004
  6. American Pi

    Liz Guest

    See if this helps.
    Re-establish user account
    http://tinyurl.com/32j2u

    "American Pi" <> wrote

    Liz, Jan 25, 2004
  7. American Pi

    American Pi Guest

    "Liz" <> wrote in news:T0TQb.79558$Su5.59997
    @twister.nyroc.rr.com:

    > http://tinyurl.com/32j2u

    I tried the command line specified on the above page and received a message
    indicating that it was accomplished successfully. However, the user name
    still does not appear on the login screen, even after rebooting. I see no
    change in the registry SpecialAccounts/UserList line in the registry.

    This seems to be one of those features of WinXP that gives many people
    difficulties, or perhaps I'm over-generalizing from the postings I've seen.

    I'm open to trying any more suggestions if anyone has any.

    Thanks.

    American Pi, Jan 26, 2004