User not selected by default on WinXP logon anymore

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by J Warrington, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. J Warrington

    J Warrington Guest

    Hi all

    I have a slight annoyance with Windows XP home - when i first installed it,
    it used to select the only user (me) when the pc was booted once it got to
    the logon screen and so i could just type the password without using the
    mouse. However since installing a Windows Update (presumably a specific one
    out of a whole lot i downloaded at once) I now have to click on the user
    password bit to enter my password (or press tab twice).

    I know it's minor but if anyone wants to indulge me on how to relieve this
    AGONY i experience every time i boot up the computer, I would be this
    grateful:

    |<----------------------------------------------->|

    J Warrington

    Cheers (obviously i dont' want to remove EACH update to check them :D )

    J Warrington, Feb 7, 2004

  2. If you want PC to boot straight to XP type
    "control userpasswords2", no quotes in the Run box and uncheck "Users must
    enter a name .....".
    --

    Kenny

    Kenny Cargill, Feb 8, 2004

  3. J Warrington

    J Warrington Guest

    I still want my account to be password protected though, and how do I delete
    the other Administrator account that seems to be there?

    Cheers

    J Warrington, Feb 8, 2004