    Any suggestions?

    Thanks

    Charlie
    cc, Feb 13, 2005

  2. cc

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "cc" <> wrote in message
    news:NgHPd.11494$...
    | Lately I have been thinking that if I ran as a limited user account
    | that would be more secure. A lot of stuff cant execute that way. Of
    | course I take all the normal precautions, hardware and software
    | firewall, anti virus, constant spy ware scans. Quite frankly it is a
    | pain, it takes up a lot of time.
    | My question is that it is difficult when I want to download
    | something. I have to switch users and download if from the
    | administrator account or change the user account to an administrator
    | which involves logging off etc. Is there any easier way to do this, for
    | example what would be nice is that when I am on as a limited account and
    | wanted to download something, I would be prompted for an administrator
    | password. I dont know if this is possible and if it is dont know how to
    | do it.
    | Any suggestions?
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | Charlie

    Sounds like you have two user accounts - one limited for normal use, then
    one with Administrator rights. In Windows XP, when you want to install a
    program, you can right-click on the setup file, and select "Run As". Should
    work for most things. Maybe using "Run As" for your browser would allow
    downloads? Personally, I've never bothered with a limited account for
    myself. That's for guests, visitors, family members <g> etc. So I'm not
    gonna set one up just to see if a browser started with "Run As" would do
    that. If you try it, please post back here with the results ;o)
    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2005

  3. cc

    cc Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "cc" <> wrote in message
    > | Lately I have been thinking that if I ran as a limited user account
    > | that would be more secure. A lot of stuff cant execute that way. Of
    > | course I take all the normal precautions, hardware and software
    > | firewall, anti virus, constant spy ware scans. Quite frankly it is a
    > | pain, it takes up a lot of time.
    > | My question is that it is difficult when I want to download
    > | something. I have to switch users and download if from the
    > | administrator account or change the user account to an administrator
    > | which involves logging off etc. Is there any easier way to do this, for
    > | example what would be nice is that when I am on as a limited account and
    > | wanted to download something, I would be prompted for an administrator
    > | password. I dont know if this is possible and if it is dont know how to
    > | do it.
    > | Any suggestions?
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > |
    > | Charlie
    >
    > Sounds like you have two user accounts - one limited for normal use, then
    > one with Administrator rights. In Windows XP, when you want to install a
    > program, you can right-click on the setup file, and select "Run As". Should
    > work for most things. Maybe using "Run As" for your browser would allow
    > downloads? Personally, I've never bothered with a limited account for
    > myself. That's for guests, visitors, family members <g> etc. So I'm not
    > gonna set one up just to see if a browser started with "Run As" would do
    > that. If you try it, please post back here with the results ;o)

    Well it sounded promising but unfortunately I dont have a run as when I
    right click on the exe file.I think I will buy a mac.

    Charlie
    cc, Feb 13, 2005
  4. cc

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "cc" <> wrote in message
    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    | > "cc" <> wrote in message
    | > | Lately I have been thinking that if I ran as a limited user
    account
    | > | that would be more secure. A lot of stuff cant execute that way. Of
    | > | course I take all the normal precautions, hardware and software
    | > | firewall, anti virus, constant spy ware scans. Quite frankly it is a
    | > | pain, it takes up a lot of time.
    | > | My question is that it is difficult when I want to download
    | > | something. I have to switch users and download if from the
    | > | administrator account or change the user account to an administrator
    | > | which involves logging off etc. Is there any easier way to do this,
    for
    | > | example what would be nice is that when I am on as a limited account
    and
    | > | wanted to download something, I would be prompted for an administrator
    | > | password. I dont know if this is possible and if it is dont know how
    | > | do it.
    | > | Any suggestions?
    | > |
    | > | Thanks
    | > |
    | > | Charlie
    | >
    | > Sounds like you have two user accounts - one limited for normal use,
    then
    | > one with Administrator rights. In Windows XP, when you want to install a
    | > program, you can right-click on the setup file, and select "Run As".
    Should
    | > work for most things. Maybe using "Run As" for your browser would allow
    | > downloads? Personally, I've never bothered with a limited account for
    | > myself. That's for guests, visitors, family members <g> etc. So I'm not
    | > gonna set one up just to see if a browser started with "Run As" would do
    | > that. If you try it, please post back here with the results ;o)
    | >

    | Well it sounded promising but unfortunately I dont have a run as when I
    | right click on the exe file.I think I will buy a mac.

    I do. Are clicking on a link or shortcut, or on the actual exe file at
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

    (still may not help though...)
    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2005
  5. cc

    cc Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "cc" <> wrote in message
    > | Toolman Tim wrote:
    > | > "cc" <> wrote in message
    > account
    > for
    > and
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > Sounds like you have two user accounts - one limited for normal use,
    > then
    > | > one with Administrator rights. In Windows XP, when you want to install a
    > | > program, you can right-click on the setup file, and select "Run As".
    > Should
    > | > work for most things. Maybe using "Run As" for your browser would allow
    > | > downloads? Personally, I've never bothered with a limited account for
    > | > myself. That's for guests, visitors, family members <g> etc. So I'm not
    > | > gonna set one up just to see if a browser started with "Run As" would do
    > | > that. If you try it, please post back here with the results ;o)
    > | >

    > | Well it sounded promising but unfortunately I dont have a run as when I
    > | right click on the exe file.I think I will buy a mac.
    > |
    > I do. Are clicking on a link or shortcut, or on the actual exe file at
    > C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    >
    > (still may not help though...)

    No still cant find it. The funny thing is that I remember seeing that
    choice at times. It just is not there now. Oh weell.
    Thanks for the help.

    Charlle
    cc, Feb 14, 2005