User accounts handling on server.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nqos8051, Apr 18, 2011.

  1. nqos8051

    nqos8051

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Hi all,
    I'm soliciting suggestions on the best practice of handling user accounts on a server.
    I'm not coming from an admin background, but got thrown into the situation as I work
    for a real small company and we can not afford a separate admin guy.

    The question is regarding user accounts on a server. Users normally don't need log
    onto the server which we use to admin the router and the ip phone box, as well as,
    our CM file server. I see almost everyone created an account on the server. So I have
    two choices:
    (1) Keep all the current user accounts on the server. The pro is if a user leaves, I can
    just shutdown one user's account and be safe. The con is it's messy.
    (2) Get rid of all user accounts. Replace them with one guest user account on the server.
    Let everyone know the guest user's password. This pro is machine is clean. The con
    is if the user leave the company, I have to change the guest password and let everyone
    know. (Maybe not if I remove the user's VPN acccount).

    I'm just wonder want is the general practice. Thanks for any help.

    Jim
    nqos8051, Apr 18, 2011