User Account XP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peter, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. peter

    peter Guest

    Hi

    I accidentally created a user account on XP now I get a log on screen when I
    boot the computer. How can I get back to my old way of booting direct to the
    desktop...?


    P.S. If I should have posted tghis to a different newsgroup.. please let me
    what one I should of....Its just this is such a useful group..

    Cheers .. Peter
     
    peter, Aug 19, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. peter wrote:
    > I accidentally created a user account on XP now I get a log on screen when I
    > boot the computer. How can I get back to my old way of booting direct to the
    > desktop...?


    you could tell it to "autologon" to that account. not entirely sure
    where to find it in XP, but someone here will know, hell, even google.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 19, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. peter

    Mr Bond Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:10:41 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >peter wrote:
    >> I accidentally created a user account on XP now I get a log on screen when I
    >> boot the computer. How can I get back to my old way of booting direct to the
    >> desktop...?

    >
    >you could tell it to "autologon" to that account. not entirely sure
    >where to find it in XP, but someone here will know, hell, even google.


    I'm not sure where auto-logon is 'supposed' to be, but I do it via the
    XP version of Tweakui:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
     
    Mr Bond, Aug 19, 2004
    #3
  4. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    news:...
    > peter wrote:
    > > I accidentally created a user account on XP now I get a log on screen

    when I
    > > boot the computer. How can I get back to my old way of booting direct to

    the
    > > desktop...?

    >
    > you could tell it to "autologon" to that account. not entirely sure
    > where to find it in XP, but someone here will know, hell, even google.


    Autologin is a feature of the tweakui powertoy for windows xp. This can be
    downloaded from various places online. Some downloads for this file are
    broken so if you download it and it does not work, just try downloading from
    somewhere else.

    Andrew
     
    Andrew Bryson, Aug 19, 2004
    #4
  5. peter

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:50:54 +1200, "peter" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I accidentally created a user account on XP now I get a log on screen when I
    >boot the computer. How can I get back to my old way of booting direct to the
    >desktop...?
    >
    >
    >P.S. If I should have posted tghis to a different newsgroup.. please let me
    >what one I should of....Its just this is such a useful group..
    >
    >Cheers .. Peter
    >


    Just delete that user from Control Panel\User accounts or you could
    use the real way, right click "My Computer" manage\Local users and
    groups\Users and delete in there.
     
    Dogg, Aug 19, 2004
    #5
  6. In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 19 Aug 2004
    12:10:41 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz>
    says...
    > peter wrote:
    > > I accidentally created a user account on XP now I get a log on screen when I
    > > boot the computer. How can I get back to my old way of booting direct to the
    > > desktop...?

    >
    > you could tell it to "autologon" to that account. not entirely sure
    > where to find it in XP, but someone here will know, hell, even google.


    Turn off the requirement to press ctrl alt delete in the Control panel
    settings
     
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 19, 2004
    #6
  7. In article <xXRUc.14890$> in nz.comp on Thu, 19
    Aug 2004 11:50:54 +1200, peter <> says...
    > Hi
    >
    > I accidentally created a user account on XP now I get a log on screen when I
    > boot the computer. How can I get back to my old way of booting direct to the
    > desktop...?


    The fact is that you already have at least one user account, the
    administrator one, and possibly more.

    The issue is not that you have these accounts, but that you have to press
    Ctrl Alt Delete to logon, which some people find annoying particularly if
    a password hasn't been set, whereas before you could just click on a
    username or just go straight into your desktop.

    In Control Panel somewhere (I think it's System) there is an option to
    turn off the requirement to press Ctrl Alt Delete. If you turn this
    option off, I think Windows will go back to the simple startup screen
    where you just click on a username. This screen can list multiple
    usernames for you to select, if you have only one account you probably
    don't even see this screen.
     
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 19, 2004
    #7
  8. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>>I accidentally created a user account on XP now I get a log on screen when I
    >>>boot the computer. How can I get back to my old way of booting direct to the
    >>>desktop...?


    >>you could tell it to "autologon" to that account. not entirely sure
    >>where to find it in XP, but someone here will know, hell, even google.


    > Turn off the requirement to press ctrl alt delete in the Control panel
    > settings


    who says that is asking him to hit CAD? he just said a logon screen.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 19, 2004
    #8
  9. peter

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:48:12 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >
    >The fact is that you already have at least one user account, the
    >administrator one, and possibly more.
    >
    >The issue is not that you have these accounts, but that you have to press
    >Ctrl Alt Delete to logon, which some people find annoying particularly if
    >a password hasn't been set, whereas before you could just click on a
    >username or just go straight into your desktop.
    >
    >In Control Panel somewhere (I think it's System) there is an option to
    >turn off the requirement to press Ctrl Alt Delete. If you turn this
    >option off, I think Windows will go back to the simple startup screen
    >where you just click on a username. This screen can list multiple
    >usernames for you to select, if you have only one account you probably
    >don't even see this screen.
    >
    >


    Wrong.

    The OP has pointed out he now has the logon screen, he has mentioned
    nothing about ctrl+alt+delete. I think what he meant to say was
    "Welcome" screen. If you use the welcome screen, you will have to
    click on your user icon to login unless you only have 1 account
    (excluding the actual "Administrator" account). If you untick the "Use
    the welcome screen" box, XP will revert to Windows 2000 style logging
    in where you may or may not have to use ctrl+alt+ delete depending on
    your settings. If you join a domain, you get the Win2K style login
    screen regardless.
     
    Dogg, Aug 19, 2004
    #9
  10. In article <xXRUc.14890$>, says...
    > Hi
    >
    > I accidentally created a user account on XP now I get a log on screen when I
    > boot the computer. How can I get back to my old way of booting direct to the
    > desktop...?
    >
    >
    > P.S. If I should have posted tghis to a different newsgroup.. please let me
    > what one I should of....Its just this is such a useful group..
    >
    > Cheers .. Peter
    >
    >

    have a look at this

    Start Menu->Run-> enter this command: control userpasswords2
     
    wogers nemesis, Aug 19, 2004
    #10
  11. peter

    Dave Taylor Guest

    wogers nemesis <> wrote in
    news::

    > In article <xXRUc.14890$>, says...
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I accidentally created a user account on XP now I get a log on screen
    >> when I boot the computer. How can I get back to my old way of booting
    >> direct to the desktop...?
    >>
    >>
    >> P.S. If I should have posted tghis to a different newsgroup.. please
    >> let me what one I should of....Its just this is such a useful group..
    >>
    >> Cheers .. Peter
    >>
    >>

    > have a look at this
    >
    > Start Menu->Run-> enter this command: control userpasswords2
    >
    >


    This is the fastest way to enable autologon because no additional
    software is needed. This is a very handy user manager and can even be
    made to show up in the control panel.
    Rem save this to a .reg file


    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}]
    @="User Accounts 2"
    "InfoTip"="Starts The Windows 2000 style User Accounts dialog"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}
    \DefaultIcon]
    @="%SystemRoot%\\\\System32\\\\nusrmgr.cpl,1"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\Shell]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\Shell
    \Open]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\Shell
    \Open\command]
    @="Control Userpasswords2"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    \ControlPanel\NameSpace\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}]
    @="Add Userpasswords2 to Control Panel"
     
    Dave Taylor, Aug 19, 2004
    #11
  12. In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 19 Aug 2004
    14:07:06 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz>
    says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > >>>I accidentally created a user account on XP now I get a log on screen when I
    > >>>boot the computer. How can I get back to my old way of booting direct to the
    > >>>desktop...?

    >
    > >>you could tell it to "autologon" to that account. not entirely sure
    > >>where to find it in XP, but someone here will know, hell, even google.

    >
    > > Turn off the requirement to press ctrl alt delete in the Control panel
    > > settings

    >
    > who says that is asking him to hit CAD? he just said a logon screen.


    Yes the Ctrl Alt Delete message to log on.

    Even if you only have one user, it is usual to get a screen where you
    click on a username.
     
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 19, 2004
    #12
  13. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:06:16 +1200, Dogg
    <doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com> says...
    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:48:12 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    > >
    > >The fact is that you already have at least one user account, the
    > >administrator one, and possibly more.
    > >
    > >The issue is not that you have these accounts, but that you have to press
    > >Ctrl Alt Delete to logon, which some people find annoying particularly if
    > >a password hasn't been set, whereas before you could just click on a
    > >username or just go straight into your desktop.
    > >
    > >In Control Panel somewhere (I think it's System) there is an option to
    > >turn off the requirement to press Ctrl Alt Delete. If you turn this
    > >option off, I think Windows will go back to the simple startup screen
    > >where you just click on a username. This screen can list multiple
    > >usernames for you to select, if you have only one account you probably
    > >don't even see this screen.
    > >
    > >

    >
    > Wrong.
    >
    > The OP has pointed out he now has the logon screen, he has mentioned
    > nothing about ctrl+alt+delete. I think what he meant to say was
    > "Welcome" screen. If you use the welcome screen, you will have to
    > click on your user icon to login unless you only have 1 account
    > (excluding the actual "Administrator" account).


    At setup, Windows XP requires you to create at least one account in
    addition to the administrator account. This is why every XP system I have
    ever seen has the welcome screen enabled even if there is only one
    username displayed on it.

    > If you untick the "Use
    > the welcome screen" box, XP will revert to Windows 2000 style logging
    > in where you may or may not have to use ctrl+alt+ delete depending on
    > your settings. If you join a domain, you get the Win2K style login
    > screen regardless.
    >
     
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 19, 2004
    #13
  14. peter

    Dogg Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 02:04:34 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.comp on
    >Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:06:16 +1200, Dogg
    ><doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com> says...
    >> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:48:12 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    <snip>
    >At setup, Windows XP requires you to create at least one account in
    >addition to the administrator account. This is why every XP system I have
    >ever seen has the welcome screen enabled even if there is only one
    >username displayed on it.
    >

    Yes it does but Windows XP "hides" that default administrator account
    from the welcome screen.
     
    Dogg, Aug 19, 2004
    #14
  15. peter

    Dogg Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:17:40 +1200, Dogg
    <doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 02:04:34 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <> in nz.comp on
    >>Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:06:16 +1200, Dogg
    >><doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com> says...
    >>> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:48:12 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>

    ><snip>
    >>At setup, Windows XP requires you to create at least one account in
    >>addition to the administrator account. This is why every XP system I have
    >>ever seen has the welcome screen enabled even if there is only one
    >>username displayed on it.
    >>

    >Yes it does but Windows XP "hides" that default administrator account
    >from the welcome screen.


    OK I see where you're coming from. If you have a password then yes,
    you'll get the welcome screen and you'll have to click on your user
    (unless you have unticked "Use the welcome screen"). If you have the
    default administrator account and a user with no password, it just
    boots straight into windows.
     
    Dogg, Aug 19, 2004
    #15
  16. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:26:37 +1200, Dogg
    <doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com> says...
    > On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:17:40 +1200, Dogg
    > <doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com> wrote:
    >
    > >On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 02:04:34 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > ><> wrote:
    > >
    > >>In article <> in nz.comp on
    > >>Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:06:16 +1200, Dogg
    > >><doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com> says...
    > >>> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:48:12 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > >>> <> wrote:
    > >>>

    > ><snip>
    > >>At setup, Windows XP requires you to create at least one account in
    > >>addition to the administrator account. This is why every XP system I have
    > >>ever seen has the welcome screen enabled even if there is only one
    > >>username displayed on it.
    > >>

    > >Yes it does but Windows XP "hides" that default administrator account
    > >from the welcome screen.

    >
    > OK I see where you're coming from. If you have a password then yes,
    > you'll get the welcome screen and you'll have to click on your user
    > (unless you have unticked "Use the welcome screen"). If you have the
    > default administrator account and a user with no password, it just
    > boots straight into windows.


    But how do you just install with no other account? Every install of XP
    Pro I've done, it comes up with a screen where you have to enter at least
    one username (that is not Administrator) and will not continue without
    it.
     
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 20, 2004
    #16
  17. peter

    Dogg Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:16:36 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >> >Yes it does but Windows XP "hides" that default administrator account
    >> >from the welcome screen.

    >>
    >> OK I see where you're coming from. If you have a password then yes,
    >> you'll get the welcome screen and you'll have to click on your user
    >> (unless you have unticked "Use the welcome screen"). If you have the
    >> default administrator account and a user with no password, it just
    >> boots straight into windows.

    >
    >But how do you just install with no other account?


    <snip>

    I didn't say you could.
     
    Dogg, Aug 20, 2004
    #17
  18. peter

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > In article <> in nz.comp on
    > Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:26:37 +1200, Dogg
    > <doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com> says...
    > > On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:17:40 +1200, Dogg
    > > <doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 02:04:34 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > > ><> wrote:
    > > >
    > > >>In article <> in nz.comp on
    > > >>Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:06:16 +1200, Dogg
    > > >><doggnz@SPAM_SUCKS.hotmail.SPAM_IS_GAY.com> says...
    > > >>> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:48:12 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > > >>> <> wrote:
    > > >>>
    > > ><snip>
    > > >>At setup, Windows XP requires you to create at least one account in
    > > >>addition to the administrator account. This is why every XP system I have
    > > >>ever seen has the welcome screen enabled even if there is only one
    > > >>username displayed on it.
    > > >>
    > > >Yes it does but Windows XP "hides" that default administrator account
    > > >from the welcome screen.

    > >
    > > OK I see where you're coming from. If you have a password then yes,
    > > you'll get the welcome screen and you'll have to click on your user
    > > (unless you have unticked "Use the welcome screen"). If you have the
    > > default administrator account and a user with no password, it just
    > > boots straight into windows.

    >
    > But how do you just install with no other account? Every install of XP
    > Pro I've done, it comes up with a screen where you have to enter at least
    > one username (that is not Administrator) and will not continue without
    > it.
    >
    >

    Not on mine it don't Patrick. As I am the only user on this machine
    there is no need and I have my user acc (bAZZ) and admin of course.

    It's only cos I am lazy and usually go do something else while it boots
    up and I can come back and sit down to start work at desktop.

    bAZZ
     
    bAZZ, Aug 20, 2004
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. OLIM2

    Unable to get online on 'User' account only

    OLIM2, Oct 19, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,101
    T. Robinson
    Oct 28, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?RWQ=?=

    Limited User Account Access to Internet on Wireless Network

    =?Utf-8?B?RWQ=?=, Jan 12, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    1,357
    tranquille
    Feb 4, 2005
  3. Tom Accuosti

    Mozz in XP User Account

    Tom Accuosti, May 9, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    388
    Keith Bowes
    May 9, 2004
  4. Guest

    Converting AIM Account 2 AOL Account?

    Guest, Aug 26, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    5,024
  5. Rajinder Nijjhar

    How could I use NTL account to work with Freeserve account?

    Rajinder Nijjhar, Mar 21, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    696
    Virginia McGovern
    Mar 21, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page