Usenet Server

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob Williams, May 11, 2010.

  1. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
    discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
    What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
    I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
    BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
    I live in Southern California USA.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, May 11, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bob Williams

    charles Guest

    On Mon, 10 May 2010 23:50:54 -0700, Bob Williams
    <> wrote:

    >My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
    >discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
    >What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
    >I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
    >BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
    >I live in Southern California USA.
    >Bob Williams



    I use Easynewws.com
    charles, May 11, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bob Williams

    Peter Guest

    "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message
    news:f77Gn.6792$...
    > My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
    > discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
    > What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
    > I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
    > BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
    > I live in Southern California USA.
    > Bob Williams



    I have been using shared-secrets for years with few issues.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, May 11, 2010
    #3
  4. Bob Williams

    Dave Cohen Guest

    On 5/11/2010 2:50 AM, Bob Williams wrote:
    > My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
    > discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
    > What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
    > I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
    > BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
    > I live in Southern California USA.
    > Bob Williams


    I use motzarella, there may be a trivial sign up fee. I believe it
    covers a fair number of groups but I only monitor a small number.
    Dave Cohen, May 11, 2010
    #4
  5. Bob Williams

    Guest

    Take a look at free.teranews.com

    "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message
    news:f77Gn.6792$...
    > My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
    > discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
    > What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
    > I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
    > BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
    > I live in Southern California USA.
    > Bob Williams
    , May 11, 2010
    #5
  6. Dave Cohen wrote:
    > On 5/11/2010 2:50 AM, Bob Williams wrote:
    >> My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
    >> discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
    >> What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
    >> I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
    >> BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
    >> I live in Southern California USA.
    >> Bob Williams

    >
    > I use motzarella, there may be a trivial sign up fee. I believe it
    > covers a fair number of groups but I only monitor a small number.


    Motz. is now eternal-september.org - fabulous, but text only. Cost is 0.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, May 11, 2010
    #6
  7. Bob Williams

    Jacquie Guest

    And they duplicate your posts by the looks of things. LOL

    Jacquie.

    On 12/05/2010 12:39, wrote:
    > I've been using News Demon with no problems. Binaries are included.
    Jacquie, May 12, 2010
    #7
  8. Bob Williams

    Paul Furman Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Dave Cohen wrote:
    >> On 5/11/2010 2:50 AM, Bob Williams wrote:
    >>> My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
    >>> discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
    >>> What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
    >>> I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
    >>> BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
    >>> I live in Southern California USA.
    >>> Bob Williams

    >>
    >> I use motzarella, there may be a trivial sign up fee. I believe it
    >> covers a fair number of groups but I only monitor a small number.

    >
    > Motz. is now eternal-september.org - fabulous, but text only. Cost is 0.


    It barfs on me usually a couple times a week, I can't log in for hours
    at a time & it wipes out my saved password & login :-(

    No binaries either which is fine with me. I wouldn't pay for binaries,
    never use them but I guess I'd pay for more consistent text service.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net
    www.baynatives.com

    all google groups messages filtered due to spam
    Paul Furman, May 12, 2010
    #8
  9. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 May 2010 23:50:54 -0700, Bob Williams
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
    >> discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
    >> What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
    >> I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
    >> BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
    >> I live in Southern California USA.
    >> Bob Williams

    >
    > You get what you pay for. Free Usenet servers can be useful but
    > they don't compare to a paid service. Giganews can't be beat if
    > you don't mind the monthly bill.



    COX.net, my ISP suggested Giganews but they are the most expensive
    usenet server on the planet (29.99 / Mo. for their premium plan.)!!!
    They do have some less expensive plans for more casual users like me
    Anybody here use (or know about) Giganews' PEARL or JADE Plans?
    Bob
    Bob Williams, May 13, 2010
    #9
  10. Bob Williams

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2010 16:49:35 -0700, Bob Williams
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Mon, 10 May 2010 23:50:54 -0700, Bob Williams
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
    >>> discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
    >>> What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
    >>> I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
    >>> BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
    >>> I live in Southern California USA.
    >>> Bob Williams

    >>
    >> You get what you pay for. Free Usenet servers can be useful but
    >> they don't compare to a paid service. Giganews can't be beat if
    >> you don't mind the monthly bill.

    >
    >
    >COX.net, my ISP suggested Giganews but they are the most expensive
    >usenet server on the planet (29.99 / Mo. for their premium plan.)!!!
    >They do have some less expensive plans for more casual users like me
    >Anybody here use (or know about) Giganews' PEARL or JADE Plans?
    >Bob


    Good Lord! $30 a month to read this? I use
    http://news.individual.net/ and have for years. It's about $12 a
    year. Never had a problem with it. Not once.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, May 13, 2010
    #10
  11. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 May 2010 16:49:35 -0700, Bob Williams
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 10 May 2010 23:50:54 -0700, Bob Williams
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
    >>>> discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
    >>>> What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
    >>>> I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
    >>>> BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
    >>>> I live in Southern California USA.
    >>>> Bob Williams
    >>> You get what you pay for. Free Usenet servers can be useful but
    >>> they don't compare to a paid service. Giganews can't be beat if
    >>> you don't mind the monthly bill.

    >>
    >> COX.net, my ISP suggested Giganews but they are the most expensive
    >> usenet server on the planet (29.99 / Mo. for their premium plan.)!!!
    >> They do have some less expensive plans for more casual users like me
    >> Anybody here use (or know about) Giganews' PEARL or JADE Plans?
    >> Bob

    >
    > Good Lord! $30 a month to read this? I use
    > http://news.individual.net/ and have for years. It's about $12 a
    > year. Never had a problem with it. Not once.


    The price is right .....BUT.....It does not support BINARY groups. :-(
    Bob Williams, May 13, 2010
    #11
  12. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2010-05-12 20:50:50 -0700, tony cooper <>
    > said:
    >
    >> On Wed, 12 May 2010 16:49:35 -0700, Bob Williams
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>> On Mon, 10 May 2010 23:50:54 -0700, Bob Williams
    >>>> <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
    >>>>> discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
    >>>>> What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
    >>>>> I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
    >>>>> BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
    >>>>> I live in Southern California USA.
    >>>>> Bob Williams
    >>>>
    >>>> You get what you pay for. Free Usenet servers can be useful but
    >>>> they don't compare to a paid service. Giganews can't be beat if
    >>>> you don't mind the monthly bill.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> COX.net, my ISP suggested Giganews but they are the most expensive
    >>> usenet server on the planet (29.99 / Mo. for their premium plan.)!!!
    >>> They do have some less expensive plans for more casual users like me
    >>> Anybody here use (or know about) Giganews' PEARL or JADE Plans?
    >>> Bob

    >>
    >> Good Lord! $30 a month to read this? I use
    >> http://news.individual.net/ and have for years. It's about $12 a
    >> year. Never had a problem with it. Not once.

    >
    > My cable provider Charter, is Usenet thin. So I use panic.com, the
    > software company which produces Unison, the Mac only Usenet client. They
    > have an arrangement with another usenet provider and charge $9/month.
    > They have good retention and binary service.
    > I have no problem using panic with other clients such as Thunderbird, or
    > MT-NW.
    >

    I have a PC and use SeaMonkey (all-in-one Browser / Mail server).
    SM is based on Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird.
    So I suspect that if Panic.com works with TB, it will work with SM too.
    Thanks.............Bob
    Bob Williams, May 13, 2010
    #12
  13. Bob Williams

    Peter Guest

    "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message
    news:fNOGn.6980$...
    > tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Wed, 12 May 2010 16:49:35 -0700, Bob Williams
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>> On Mon, 10 May 2010 23:50:54 -0700, Bob Williams
    >>>> <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
    >>>>> discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
    >>>>> What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
    >>>>> I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
    >>>>> BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
    >>>>> I live in Southern California USA.
    >>>>> Bob Williams
    >>>> You get what you pay for. Free Usenet servers can be useful but
    >>>> they don't compare to a paid service. Giganews can't be beat if you
    >>>> don't mind the monthly bill.
    >>>
    >>> COX.net, my ISP suggested Giganews but they are the most expensive
    >>> usenet server on the planet (29.99 / Mo. for their premium plan.)!!!
    >>> They do have some less expensive plans for more casual users like me
    >>> Anybody here use (or know about) Giganews' PEARL or JADE Plans?
    >>> Bob

    >>
    >> Good Lord! $30 a month to read this? I use
    >> http://news.individual.net/ and have for years. It's about $12 a
    >> year. Never had a problem with it. Not once.

    >
    > The price is right .....BUT.....It does not support BINARY groups. :-(


    As I said earlier. Try shared-secrets. It has a good retention policy and
    supports binary. The owner Rob is a really good guy.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, May 14, 2010
    #13
  14. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
    > discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
    > What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
    > I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
    > BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
    > I live in Southern California USA.
    > Bob Williams




    Thanks to everyone.
    I got a lot of good suggestions from all of you.
    I found most of the suggested newsgroups reviewed at this site.
    See: http://www.usenet-newsgroup.net/
    I think I'll accept some of the free trials and see which ones works
    best for me.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, May 14, 2010
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Paul Roome

    Anyone know server name of Usenet?

    Paul Roome, Jan 10, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    1,282
    Governor Swill
    Jan 11, 2005
  2. Grimm

    Help With Usenet Server

    Grimm, May 29, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    3,027
    Plato
    May 31, 2007
  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Orcon USENET server is terribly unreliable

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 30, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    46
    Views:
    1,047
    ~misfit~
    Nov 4, 2004
  4. Mike Easter

    Re: Usenet abuse (addressed to Usenet admins)

    Mike Easter, Jan 17, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    565
    VanguardLH
    Jan 18, 2010
  5. Tony
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    563
Loading...

Share This Page