    To reply by e-mail take out the dog
    ----------------------
    Did we have E. coli before we had the internet?
    wwp, Apr 14, 2004

  2. wwp

    °Mike° Guest

    Right click on the group, select 'Catch up' and
    then highlight all of the posts and press 'Delete'.
    You should still perform maintenance, including
    compacting, regularly, though. Just be sure that
    your turn off compacting in the background, as
    this has been known to corrupt .dbx files.

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:18:30 GMT, in
    <az_ec.102784$Pk3.93331@pd7tw1no>
    wwp scrawleE:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 14, 2004

  3. wwp

    Boomer Guest

    "wwp" <> wrote in

    > When I finish reading my news groups I go to:
    > tools/options/maintenance/clean up now/delete/yes/close/ok to get
    > rid of all the messages. It seems to me that there should be an
    > easier way to do this. I'm using OE6.
    > Does anyone know a better way?
    > Thank you
    > wwp

    Get a real news reader? <wink>

    Sorry... I don't do OE. I'm sure others will be able to answer you.
    :)
    Boomer, Apr 14, 2004
  4. wwp

    wwp Guest

    Thank you for this Mike.
    wwp

    wwp, Apr 14, 2004
  5. wwp

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:27:23 GMT, in
    <vH_ec.109341$oR5.21375@pd7tw3no>
    wwp scrawleE:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 14, 2004
  6. wwp

    wwp Guest

    What do you consider a real news reader and is there a monthly charge for
    using their server?
    wwp

    wwp, Apr 14, 2004
  7. wwp

    Boomer Guest

    "wwp" <> wrote in news:_L_ec.108323$Ig.2195@pd7tw2no:

    > What do you consider a real news reader and is there a monthly
    > charge for using their server?

    The news server is your choice. Usually supplied by your ISP. A news
    reader is the software you use to read off the server.

    Try some out. See what you like. I like Xnews. :)

    http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html

    Just like browsers. I use Mozilla. It just depends on what you what a
    client to do. :)

    Boomer, Apr 14, 2004
  8. wwp

    Mary Guest

    Actually, what I do is: 'Edit/select all/ and then delete', to delete all
    the messages, after I read what I want.
    --
    Mary

    Mary, Apr 14, 2004
  9. wwp

    Kenneth Guest

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:32:10 GMT, "wwp" <> wrote:

    >What do you consider a real news reader and is there a monthly charge for
    >using their server?

    Howdy,

    PMJI... A "Newsreader" is the software on your system that you use to
    read and manage Usenet groups. There are many out there. I have used
    one called Agent happily for years. You are using Outlook Express to
    do the job.

    If you would like more information about that product, you might want
    to check http://www.forteinc.com

    All the best,
    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Apr 14, 2004
  10. wwp

    anthonyberet Guest

    wwp wrote:
    > When I finish reading my news groups I go to:
    > tools/options/maintenance/clean up now/delete/yes/close/ok to get rid
    > of all the messages. It seems to me that there should be an easier
    > way to do this. I'm using OE6.
    > Does anyone know a better way?

    yes, don't do that.
    OE6 will expire them soon enough anyway.
    anthonyberet, Apr 14, 2004
  11. wwp

    Boomer Guest

    "anthonyberet" <> wrote in

    > wwp wrote:
    >> When I finish reading my news groups I go to:
    >> tools/options/maintenance/clean up now/delete/yes/close/ok to get
    >> rid of all the messages. It seems to me that there should be an
    >> easier way to do this. I'm using OE6.
    >> Does anyone know a better way?

    > yes, don't do that.
    > OE6 will expire them soon enough anyway.

    OE will expire them?
    Boomer, Apr 14, 2004
  12. wwp

    trout Guest

    Boomer wrote:

    > "anthonyberet" <> wrote in
    >
    >> wwp wrote:
    >>> When I finish reading my news groups I go to:
    >>> tools/options/maintenance/clean up now/delete/yes/close/ok to get
    >>> rid of all the messages. It seems to me that there should be an
    >>> easier way to do this. I'm using OE6.
    >>> Does anyone know a better way?

    >> yes, don't do that.
    >> OE6 will expire them soon enough anyway.

    > OE will expire them?

    OEs *default* Maintenance settings are to compact messages in the
    background, and delete messages after x (I forget the default number)
    days.
    --
    "(But it's recommended to turn this off, and do it manually.)"
    trout, Apr 14, 2004
  13. wwp

    Boomer Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in news:c5imeg$24t11$1@ID-
    179272.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > Boomer wrote:
    >
    >> "anthonyberet" <> wrote in

    >>> yes, don't do that.
    >>> OE6 will expire them soon enough anyway.

    >> OE will expire them?

    > OEs *default* Maintenance settings are to compact messages in the
    > background, and delete messages after x (I forget the default number)
    > days.

    Ah! Thanks, trout. :)
    Boomer, Apr 14, 2004