Usenet Newsgroups

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Shirley Azvedo, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. Does anyone out there know of any free usenet newsgroups that one can get?
    Sister has NetZero and they do not offer any.
    Shirley Azvedo, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Shirley Azvedo

    Boomer Guest

    "Shirley Azvedo" <> wrote in
    news:aD_pb.205800$:

    > Does anyone out there know of any free usenet newsgroups that one
    > can get? Sister has NetZero and they do not offer any.

    On the web she can use Google Groups.
    Here's some other information on web based access.
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Usenet/Web_Based/?tc=1

    Here's a group to keep an eye on for free news servers.
    alt.free.newsservers
    Boomer, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Shirley Azvedo

    Carlhungus Guest

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 04:02:14 GMT, "Shirley Azvedo"
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone out there know of any free usenet newsgroups that one can get?
    >Sister has NetZero and they do not offer any.

    I assume you mean a free news server?
    Try freenews.netfront.net as a server. They allow posting but it seems
    to be up and down alot. Otherwise find a list of servers here:
    http://www.free-newsservers.com/

    THere is always groups.google.com
    Carlhungus, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Shirley Azvedo wrote:

    > Does anyone out there know of any free usenet newsgroups that one can get?
    > Sister has NetZero and they do not offer any.

    This one is $10US per month. Have you paid for it?

    --
    Blinky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Linux RU 297263
    Microsoft, 23 Oct: "As a result of challenges to our business model,
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 5, 2003
  5. Shirley Azvedo

    Ionizer Guest

    "Shirley Azvedo" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone out there know of any free usenet newsgroups that one can get?
    > Sister has NetZero and they do not offer any.

    I'm a rogers.com (cable) subscriber with full newsgroup access, but I still
    use and am quite happy with this free news server:
    http://news.individual.net/ Your sister will need to register (free) and
    provide a valid email address so that they can send her a password. This
    email address will appear in her headers, so she should use a disposable
    (i.e. hotmail) address when she registers so that she can keep her main
    email address private. This is important no matter which news server she
    ends up using, as posting in newsgroups tends to attract spam to the address
    in your headers.

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Nov 5, 2003
  6. Shirley Azvedo

    Richard Guest

    Shirley Azvedo wrote:

    > Does anyone out there know of any free usenet newsgroups that one can
    > get?
    > Sister has NetZero and they do not offer any.

    www.newsguy.com not free but decently priced.
    Pay by the year and save.
    Richard, Nov 5, 2003
  7. Shirley Azvedo

    ]v[etaphoid Guest

    Ionizer wrote:
    > "Shirley Azvedo" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone out there know of any free usenet newsgroups that one
    >> can get? Sister has NetZero and they do not offer any.

    > I'm a rogers.com (cable) subscriber with full newsgroup access, but I
    > still use and am quite happy with this free news server:
    > http://news.individual.net/ Your sister will need to register (free)
    > and provide a valid email address so that they can send her a
    > password. This email address will appear in her headers, so she
    > should use a disposable (i.e. hotmail) address when she registers so
    > that she can keep her main email address private. This is important
    > no matter which news server she ends up using, as posting in
    > newsgroups tends to attract spam to the address in your headers.

    Seconded. Looks like the newer incarnation of the popular news.cis.dfn.de
    server. Very reliable, fast and free. Recommended.
    ]v[etaphoid, Nov 5, 2003
  8. Richard wrote:

    > Shirley Azvedo wrote:

    > > Does anyone out there know of any free usenet newsgroups that one
    > > can
    >> get? Sister has NetZero and they do not offer any.

    > www.newsguy.com not free but decently priced. Pay by the year and
    > save.

    AND you get a couple mailboxes, each with an alias, and 50mb of ad-free
    web space (their domain or yours). Cheap plan works out to something
    like $3.25US a month. *Very* reliable, and tech support even hangs out
    in one of their newsgroups.

    I don't work for them, and have never made a buck on referrals. I've
    just had one or more accounts for 3 years, and I couldn't be more
    pleased.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 5, 2003
  9. Thanks to everyone for your help. Waiting for my password now.
    Shirley

    Shirley Azvedo, Nov 5, 2003