    Sano Guest

    Is there any compendium of USian isps that still offer Usenet access?
    I've gotta do something about being on a phone. Tia.
    Sano, Oct 4, 2007

  2. Sano

    Mike Easter Guest

    Sano wrote:
    > Is there any compendium of USian isps that still offer Usenet access?
    > I've gotta do something about being on a phone.

    I would make my decision about my internet connectivity independently of
    whether or not they offered usenet access -- for several reasons.

    First, the 'quality' and cost of the connectivity is more important than
    whether or not usenet is included in the price. Second, general
    connectivity ISPs are notorious for -a- providing poor or variable
    quality usenet when they do provide it -b- changing whether they are
    providing usenet or changing how well they provide it, without any
    predictability. Recent examples of broadband providers RR and EL
    outsourcing their news because they were both providing shabby usenet
    before and there are still some objections by some subscribers even tho'
    the overall news is an improvement. Third, it isn't necessary that a
    general ISP provide usenet because there are other better sources if the
    subscriber does a little investigation about how to get news.

    How a newser may use news depends a lot on the newser. Some people only
    want 'good' text. Some people want lots and lots of binaries. The text
    newsers should be most interested in how good a job the newsserver is
    going to do about filtering hipcrime and spam and perhaps about adding
    new groups. The binary hogs have completely different needs.

    Whether or not the connectivity provider provides news doesn't matter,
    because the 'determined' newser is going to get news no matter what.
    They are going to get it from multiple free newsservers as soon as
    they've figured out a few they like. They may also get it from
    commercial NSPs, either extremely economically if they are a text
    newser, or 'better' than a general ISP can provide if they are a serious
    binary downloader.

    I think that all the serious binary downloaders want out of their
    connectivity provider in terms of news is a reduction in how many gigs
    they have to either buy or get from free newsservers.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 4, 2007

  3. Sano

    Tony Guest

    I subscribe to "Snooze" for all my news.

    Tony, Oct 4, 2007
  4. Sano wrote:
    > Is there any compendium of USian isps that still offer Usenet access?

    Why do you feel you have to limit your range of ISPs to those with
    in-house Usenet feeds? Most ISP newsfeeds suck anyway.

    > I've gotta do something about being on a phone. Tia.

    I don't know what that means, but good luck with it.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Oct 4, 2007
  5. Sano

    Sano Guest

    - Blinky the Shark <> - wrote in

    > Sano wrote:
    >> Is there any compendium of USian isps that still offer Usenet
    >> access?

    > Why do you feel you have to limit your range of ISPs to those with
    > in-house Usenet feeds? Most ISP newsfeeds suck anyway.

    Well, ye-eah. Just trying to kill as many birds as I can.

    >> I've gotta do something about being on a phone. Tia.

    > I don't know what that means, but good luck with it.

    With Flash turned off and half the ad population of the universe
    blocked, browsing the web is just a pia anymore. Pages just get larger
    and filled with more cardboard. Yeah know. I've gotta break down and
    get some _speed_.
    Sano, Oct 4, 2007
  6. Sano

    Sano Guest

    - "Mike Easter" <> - wrote in

    > Sano wrote:
    >> Is there any compendium of USian isps that still offer Usenet
    >> access? I've gotta do something about being on a phone.

    > I would make my decision about my internet connectivity
    > independently of whether or not they offered usenet access -- for
    > several reasons.
    >
    > First, the 'quality' and cost of the connectivity is more
    > important than whether or not usenet is included in the price.
    > Second, general connectivity ISPs are notorious for -a- providing
    > poor or variable quality usenet when they do provide it -b-
    > changing whether they are providing usenet or changing how well
    > they provide it, without any predictability. Recent examples of
    > broadband providers RR and EL outsourcing their news because they
    > were both providing shabby usenet before and there are still some
    > objections by some subscribers even tho' the overall news is an
    > improvement. Third, it isn't necessary that a general ISP provide
    > usenet because there are other better sources if the subscriber
    > does a little investigation about how to get news.
    >
    > How a newser may use news depends a lot on the newser. Some
    > people only want 'good' text. Some people want lots and lots of
    > binaries. The text newsers should be most interested in how good
    > a job the newsserver is going to do about filtering hipcrime and
    > spam and perhaps about adding new groups. The binary hogs have
    > completely different needs.
    >
    > Whether or not the connectivity provider provides news doesn't
    > matter, because the 'determined' newser is going to get news no
    > matter what. They are going to get it from multiple free
    > newsservers as soon as they've figured out a few they like. They
    > may also get it from commercial NSPs, either extremely
    > economically if they are a text newser, or 'better' than a general
    > ISP can provide if they are a serious binary downloader.
    >
    > I think that all the serious binary downloaders want out of their
    > connectivity provider in terms of news is a reduction in how many
    > gigs they have to either buy or get from free newsservers.

    Thanks. Yeah, Earthlink going with Supernews hasn't been too horrid, on
    either the text or binary front. As a Forte Agent owner I (also) used
    their extrememly economical Usenet offering, which was also Supernews.

    I was still searching for the magic bullet, which probably ain't there.
    Sano, Oct 4, 2007
  7. Sano wrote:

    > - Blinky the Shark <> - wrote in
    >
    >> Sano wrote:
    >>> Is there any compendium of USian isps that still offer Usenet
    >>> access?

    >> Why do you feel you have to limit your range of ISPs to those
    >> with in-house Usenet feeds? Most ISP newsfeeds suck anyway.

    > Well, ye-eah. Just trying to kill as many birds as I can.

    Then don't LIMIT yourself to ISPs feeds.

    >>> I've gotta do something about being on a phone. Tia.

    >> I don't know what that means, but good luck with it.

    > With Flash turned off and half the ad population of the universe
    > blocked, browsing the web is just a pia anymore. Pages just get
    > larger and filled with more cardboard. Yeah know. I've gotta
    > break down and get some _speed_.

    Are you trying to say you're going to move from dialup to
    broadband?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Oct 5, 2007
  8. Sano

    Sano Guest

    - Blinky the Shark <> - wrote in

    > Sano wrote:
    >
    >> - Blinky the Shark <> - wrote in

    >>> Why do you feel you have to limit your range of ISPs to those
    >>> with in-house Usenet feeds? Most ISP newsfeeds suck anyway.

    >> Well, ye-eah. Just trying to kill as many birds as I can.

    > Then don't LIMIT yourself to ISPs feeds.

    >>> I don't know what that means, but good luck with it.

    >> With Flash turned off and half the ad population of the universe
    >> blocked, browsing the web is just a pia anymore. Pages just get
    >> larger and filled with more cardboard. Yeah know. I've gotta
    >> break down and get some _speed_.

    > Are you trying to say you're going to move from dialup to
    > broadband?

    Yes sah! I'm just trying to not cut into my beer money. There are a few
    options. Hey! the Indians just smacked down the Yanks!

    There's a cable option to my building/ apt, but I'd just as soon do dsl
    of some flavor. I'll have to spend some more time at dslreports.
    Sano, Oct 5, 2007
  9. Sano wrote:

    > There's a cable option to my building/ apt, but I'd just as soon do
    > dsl of some flavor. I'll have to spend some more time at dslreports.

    Cable is more reliable, and generally faster than DSL.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 5, 2007