    of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
    time that some idiot posted to get attention.
    , Dec 16, 2007

  2. dino Guest

    wrote:
    > I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
    > can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
    > online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
    > absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
    > all. What's the point?
    >
    > The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
    > of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
    > time that some idiot posted to get attention.

    blah, blah, blah, ever consider that you may have done something wrong!

    Try posting the links here and asking for feedback before slagging off
    some unknown developer!
    dino, Dec 16, 2007

  3. Tony Raven Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
    > can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
    > online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
    > absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
    > all. What's the point?
    >
    > The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
    > of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
    > time that some idiot posted to get attention.

    Most extensions will say what maximum version number they will run with
    on the download site so you can avoid getting into the situation you are
    in. However all is not lost as most will work perfectly happily with
    higher version numbers provided, even if they have not been tested, if
    you bump them up. The easy way to do this is to get the Nightly Tester
    Tools extension which gives you the ability to do it automatically.
    Alternatively you can do it manually. Rename the xpi file from .xpi to
    ..zip. Then unzip it and open the files in Notepad. One of them will
    have a line for MaxVersion. Just change that to a bit higher than your
    current Firefox version, save it, rezip everything back up and rename it
    back to .xpi. You can then install it and check it all works fine.

    NTT is usually the best option as it allows you to keep your extensions
    working when an upgrade is released.

    --
    Tony

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
    taken place"
    George Bernard Shaw
    Tony Raven, Dec 16, 2007
  4. Once Upon A Time,
    Tony Raven wrote:

    >Most extensions will say what maximum version number they will run with
    >on the download site so you can avoid getting into the situation you are
    >in. However all is not lost as most will work perfectly happily with
    >higher version numbers provided, even if they have not been tested, if
    >you bump them up. The easy way to do this is to get the Nightly Tester
    >Tools extension which gives you the ability to do it automatically.
    >Alternatively you can do it manually. Rename the xpi file from .xpi to
    >.zip. Then unzip it and open the files in Notepad. One of them will
    >have a line for MaxVersion. Just change that to a bit higher than your
    >current Firefox version, save it, rezip everything back up and rename it
    >back to .xpi. You can then install it and check it all works fine.

    But that....that's CHEATING!

    HEY EVERYBODY, THIS GUY IS A CHEATER! A CHEATER!!

    **
    Captain Infinity
    ..."There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling!" --Comic Book Guy
    Captain Infinity, Dec 16, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:54:56 -0000, Tony Raven
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
    >> can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
    >> online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
    >> absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
    >> all. What's the point?
    >>
    >> The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
    >> of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
    >> time that some idiot posted to get attention.
    >>

    >Most extensions will say what maximum version number they will run with
    >on the download site so you can avoid getting into the situation you are
    >in. However all is not lost as most will work perfectly happily with
    >higher version numbers provided, even if they have not been tested, if
    >you bump them up. The easy way to do this is to get the Nightly Tester
    >Tools extension which gives you the ability to do it automatically.
    >Alternatively you can do it manually. Rename the xpi file from .xpi to
    >.zip. Then unzip it and open the files in Notepad. One of them will
    >have a line for MaxVersion. Just change that to a bit higher than your
    >current Firefox version, save it, rezip everything back up and rename it
    >back to .xpi. You can then install it and check it all works fine.
    >
    >NTT is usually the best option as it allows you to keep your extensions
    >working when an upgrade is released.

    Thanks for the info. I'll do that next time. I do always install
    them according to the instructions, although some are very lacking in
    instructions. I've had 2 or 4 recently where after they are
    installed, there is nothing on the screen to activate or use them.
    Unfortunately I can not say the names of them. If they dont work, I
    just remove them. Dont have time for messing with garbage.

    I never knew that xpi was actually a zip. I always wondered what xpi
    meant.

    Thanks
    , Dec 16, 2007
  6. Tony Raven Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:54:56 -0000, Tony Raven
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
    > >> can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
    > >> online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
    > >> absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
    > >> all. What's the point?
    > >>
    > >> The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
    > >> of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
    > >> time that some idiot posted to get attention.
    > >>

    > >Most extensions will say what maximum version number they will run with
    > >on the download site so you can avoid getting into the situation you are
    > >in. However all is not lost as most will work perfectly happily with
    > >higher version numbers provided, even if they have not been tested, if
    > >you bump them up. The easy way to do this is to get the Nightly Tester
    > >Tools extension which gives you the ability to do it automatically.
    > >Alternatively you can do it manually. Rename the xpi file from .xpi to
    > >.zip. Then unzip it and open the files in Notepad. One of them will
    > >have a line for MaxVersion. Just change that to a bit higher than your
    > >current Firefox version, save it, rezip everything back up and rename it
    > >back to .xpi. You can then install it and check it all works fine.
    > >
    > >NTT is usually the best option as it allows you to keep your extensions
    > >working when an upgrade is released.

    > Thanks for the info. I'll do that next time. I do always install
    > them according to the instructions, although some are very lacking in
    > instructions. I've had 2 or 4 recently where after they are
    > installed, there is nothing on the screen to activate or use them.
    > Unfortunately I can not say the names of them. If they dont work, I
    > just remove them. Dont have time for messing with garbage.

    Have you gone to the extensions folder to check they are installed and
    enabled? Tools/Add-ons/Extensions

    Tony Raven, Dec 16, 2007
  7. wrote:
    > I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
    > can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
    > online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
    > absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
    > all. What's the point?
    >
    > The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
    > of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
    > time that some idiot posted to get attention.

    Extensions listed on addons.mozilla.org are indeed tested, though one
    can guarantee an extension. If you choose to install extensions frm
    another source, you may get burned.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 16, 2007
  8. On 2007-12-16, <> wrote:

    > I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
    > can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
    > online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
    > absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
    > all. What's the point?
    >
    > The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
    > of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
    > time that some idiot posted to get attention.

    It's difficult to know since you don't mention which specific Add-Ons
    gave you trouble, what specific error messages (if any) appeared when
    you tried to install or use them, what version of Firefox you're using,
    or what platform you're running them on.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Dec 17, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 20:43:29 -0000, Tony Raven
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:54:56 -0000, Tony Raven
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>,
    >> > says...

    >> >Most extensions will say what maximum version number they will run with
    >> >on the download site so you can avoid getting into the situation you are
    >> >in. However all is not lost as most will work perfectly happily with
    >> >higher version numbers provided, even if they have not been tested, if
    >> >you bump them up. The easy way to do this is to get the Nightly Tester
    >> >Tools extension which gives you the ability to do it automatically.
    >> >Alternatively you can do it manually. Rename the xpi file from .xpi to
    >> >.zip. Then unzip it and open the files in Notepad. One of them will
    >> >have a line for MaxVersion. Just change that to a bit higher than your
    >> >current Firefox version, save it, rezip everything back up and rename it
    >> >back to .xpi. You can then install it and check it all works fine.
    >> >
    >> >NTT is usually the best option as it allows you to keep your extensions
    >> >working when an upgrade is released.

    >> Thanks for the info. I'll do that next time. I do always install
    >> them according to the instructions, although some are very lacking in
    >> instructions. I've had 2 or 4 recently where after they are
    >> installed, there is nothing on the screen to activate or use them.
    >> Unfortunately I can not say the names of them. If they dont work, I
    >> just remove them. Dont have time for messing with garbage.
    >>

    >Have you gone to the extensions folder to check they are installed and
    >enabled? Tools/Add-ons/Extensions

    Yes, I did and they were installed and enabled. I restarted FF and
    checked. THere was nothing created to click on ot use them. I looked
    in the FF toolbars and status bars, and in Tools, and I set the
    options on the programs that had them.
    , Dec 17, 2007
  10. Justin Guest

    wrote on [Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:01:53 -0600]:
    > I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
    > can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
    > online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
    > absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
    > all. What's the point?

    Did you consider that maybe you couldn't figure out how to use them?

    Some just add menu options, some just need options set in the add-ons
    menu, some just work without doing anything.

    A clue as to any you are talking about might get you some helpful
    answers, otherwise everyone else is left to guess at what extensions may
    not be working for you, or that are smarter than you.
    Justin, Dec 17, 2007
  11. Tony Raven Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > >Have you gone to the extensions folder to check they are installed and
    > >enabled? Tools/Add-ons/Extensions

    > Yes, I did and they were installed and enabled. I restarted FF and
    > checked. THere was nothing created to click on ot use them. I looked
    > in the FF toolbars and status bars, and in Tools, and I set the
    > options on the programs that had them.

    As others have said, if you said which extensions they were we might be
    able to give more specific help.

    Tony Raven, Dec 17, 2007
  12. On 12/16/2007 wrote:
    > Yes, I did and they were installed and enabled. I restarted FF and
    > checked. THere was nothing created to click on ot use them. I looked
    > in the FF toolbars and status bars, and in Tools, and I set the
    > options on the programs that had them.

    Right click on any toolbar and click on "customize". In the large
    window that appears, there should be icons for the addons you have
    installed. Drag them to a toolbar. Then click on "Done" in the big box.

    Irwin
    Irwin Greenwald, Dec 17, 2007
  13. elaich Guest

    Tony Raven <> wrote in

    > The easy way to do this is to get the Nightly Tester
    > Tools extension which gives you the ability to do it automatically.

    That doesn't always work. I use Mr TECH's Local Install, which gives you
    the option of bypassing last version testing just by ticking a box. I have
    to use it on several of my favorites every time Firefox is upgraded.

    However, one of my favorites (EBay Negs) finally just stopped working. It
    wasn't because of the last version problem - something in Firefox changed
    that simply rendered it broken.
    elaich, Dec 17, 2007
  14. Hawkeye Guest

    >That doesn't always work. I use Mr TECH's Local Install, which gives you
    >the option of bypassing last version testing just by ticking a box. I have
    >to use it on several of my favorites every time Firefox is upgraded.

    MTLI is a great extension. It is the first one I install- it makes
    installing all the others a snap.
    Hawkeye, Dec 20, 2007
  15. Arse Clown Guest

    You truly are a fucking dumb ****. LOL. Be gone, fool.
    Arse Clown, Dec 22, 2007
  16. Guest

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:29:06 +0000, dino <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
    >> can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
    >> online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
    >> absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
    >> all. What's the point?
    >>
    >> The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
    >> of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
    >> time that some idiot posted to get attention.
    >>

    >blah, blah, blah, ever consider that you may have done something wrong!
    >
    >Try posting the links here and asking for feedback before slagging off
    >some unknown developer!

    I remembered reading this thread a few weeks back, and I have tried
    two addons I recently found that do absolutely nothing, or do not work
    as intended.

    Here they are:

    * MediaPlayerConnectivity 0.8.3
    (Brings up an item in the tool bar but never locates any video on
    pages that definately have video media, and which load from IE. I am
    referring to .WMV Media Player files. On the other hand, It DOES find
    Youtube files which are already loading as FLV, and tries to play them
    in Media Player.) This thing is completely useless. It claims to be
    able to load or save WMV files. It does not work !!!!

    * Clipmarks 3.0.0
    (Once installed, nothing ever appears on the screen, to activate or
    use the thing. The program is totally useless)

    I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.11 under Win98se.

    I also tried Clipmarks on a much older version of FF. Did not work
    there either.
    , Jan 5, 2008
  17. Justin Guest

    wrote on [Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:44:48 -0600]:
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:29:06 +0000, dino <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
    >>> can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
    >>> online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
    >>> absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
    >>> all. What's the point?
    >>>
    >>> The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
    >>> of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
    >>> time that some idiot posted to get attention.
    >>>

    >>blah, blah, blah, ever consider that you may have done something wrong!
    >>
    >>Try posting the links here and asking for feedback before slagging off
    >>some unknown developer!

    > I remembered reading this thread a few weeks back, and I have tried
    > two addons I recently found that do absolutely nothing, or do not work
    > as intended.
    >
    > Here they are:
    >
    > * MediaPlayerConnectivity 0.8.3
    > (Brings up an item in the tool bar but never locates any video on
    > pages that definately have video media, and which load from IE. I am
    > referring to .WMV Media Player files. On the other hand, It DOES find
    > Youtube files which are already loading as FLV, and tries to play them
    > in Media Player.) This thing is completely useless. It claims to be
    > able to load or save WMV files. It does not work !!!!
    >
    > * Clipmarks 3.0.0
    > (Once installed, nothing ever appears on the screen, to activate or
    > use the thing. The program is totally useless)

    Did you go to the http://clipmarks.com/learn-more/ site that the add-on
    page tells you to visit?
    Justin, Jan 5, 2008
  18. wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:29:06 +0000, dino <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> I have been trying some new addons for Firefox. I know that anyone
    >>> can upload them. I think someone should test them before they are put
    >>> online for download. I have now tried several of them that do
    >>> absolutely nothing. They install, and after that, nothing happens at
    >>> all. What's the point?
    >>>
    >>> The only thing I can figure is that they were made for older versions
    >>> of FF and are no longer usable. Otherwise they are merely a waste of
    >>> time that some idiot posted to get attention.
    >>>

    >> blah, blah, blah, ever consider that you may have done something wrong!
    >>
    >> Try posting the links here and asking for feedback before slagging off
    >> some unknown developer!

    > I remembered reading this thread a few weeks back, and I have tried
    > two addons I recently found that do absolutely nothing, or do not work
    > as intended.
    >
    > Here they are:
    >
    > * MediaPlayerConnectivity 0.8.3
    > (Brings up an item in the tool bar but never locates any video on
    > pages that definately have video media, and which load from IE. I am
    > referring to .WMV Media Player files. On the other hand, It DOES find
    > Youtube files which are already loading as FLV, and tries to play them
    > in Media Player.) This thing is completely useless. It claims to be
    > able to load or save WMV files. It does not work !!!!

    learn how to work it first before you claim its useless.
    I've got it and it works just as expected.
    http://membres.lycos.fr/sethnakht/FAQ MediaPlayerConnectivity.html
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/discussions/comments.php?DiscussionID=1602

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 5, 2008
  19. Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 23:26:59 -0600, Justin <>
    wrote:

    > wrote on [Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:44:48 -0600]:

    >>>blah, blah, blah, ever consider that you may have done something wrong!
    >>>
    >>>Try posting the links here and asking for feedback before slagging off
    >>>some unknown developer!

    >> I remembered reading this thread a few weeks back, and I have tried
    >> two addons I recently found that do absolutely nothing, or do not work
    >> as intended.
    >>
    >> Here they are:
    >>
    >> * MediaPlayerConnectivity 0.8.3
    >> (Brings up an item in the tool bar but never locates any video on
    >> pages that definately have video media, and which load from IE. I am
    >> referring to .WMV Media Player files. On the other hand, It DOES find
    >> Youtube files which are already loading as FLV, and tries to play them
    >> in Media Player.) This thing is completely useless. It claims to be
    >> able to load or save WMV files. It does not work !!!!
    >>
    >> * Clipmarks 3.0.0
    >> (Once installed, nothing ever appears on the screen, to activate or
    >> use the thing. The program is totally useless)

    >Did you go to the http://clipmarks.com/learn-more/ site that the add-on
    >page tells you to visit?

    Yep, at least 4 times. I also removed and reinstalled it numerous
    times. Maybe it works with other versions of Windows but it wont work
    for me. I've removed it for the last time and filed a report with the
    author. Upon uninstalling it loads a page just to leave comments. In
    those reports I noticed quite a few people not getting the "button" to
    make it work, and that was even one of the questions in the "comments"
    questionaire. Apparenly this is a common bug. You'd think they would
    have fixed it by now though. I originally installed it months ago,
    did not have the time to read all the help files. I just recently
    looked at all of that, tried everything, and did several removals and
    reinstalls. I would have thought that by now they would have did an
    upgrade and repair. Oh well, just one less thing wasting screen space
    that I can live without.
    , Jan 5, 2008
  20. Justin Guest

    wrote on [Sat, 05 Jan 2008 00:56:10 -0600]:
    > On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 23:26:59 -0600, Justin <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> wrote on [Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:44:48 -0600]:

    >>> I remembered reading this thread a few weeks back, and I have tried
    >>> two addons I recently found that do absolutely nothing, or do not work
    >>> as intended.
    >>>
    >>> Here they are:
    >>>
    >>> * MediaPlayerConnectivity 0.8.3
    >>> (Brings up an item in the tool bar but never locates any video on
    >>> pages that definately have video media, and which load from IE. I am
    >>> referring to .WMV Media Player files. On the other hand, It DOES find
    >>> Youtube files which are already loading as FLV, and tries to play them
    >>> in Media Player.) This thing is completely useless. It claims to be
    >>> able to load or save WMV files. It does not work !!!!
    >>>
    >>> * Clipmarks 3.0.0
    >>> (Once installed, nothing ever appears on the screen, to activate or
    >>> use the thing. The program is totally useless)

    >>Did you go to the http://clipmarks.com/learn-more/ site that the add-on
    >>page tells you to visit?

    > Yep, at least 4 times. I also removed and reinstalled it numerous
    > times. Maybe it works with other versions of Windows but it wont work
    > for me. I've removed it for the last time and filed a report with the
    > author. Upon uninstalling it loads a page just to leave comments. In
    > those reports I noticed quite a few people not getting the "button" to
    > make it work, and that was even one of the questions in the "comments"
    > questionaire. Apparenly this is a common bug. You'd think they would
    > have fixed it by now though. I originally installed it months ago,
    > did not have the time to read all the help files. I just recently
    > looked at all of that, tried everything, and did several removals and
    > reinstalls. I would have thought that by now they would have did an
    > upgrade and repair. Oh well, just one less thing wasting screen space
    > that I can live without.

    Huh, I installed it and was immediately greeted with the button on the
    toolbar.
    Justin, Jan 5, 2008