    When I add in the rest of the folders on the C drive I don't come anywhere
    near 62.5 GB. Does anyone have any idea why my C drive is showing so much
    used space?

    Ken Triebold, Feb 3, 2008

  2. Ken Triebold

    philo Guest

    "Ken Triebold" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > My new Vista Home Premium x64 computer is about a week old now. One thing

    > noticed is that the used space in the C drive keeps growing. My old XP
    > machine had about 12 GB of used space (out of 40 GB). I transferred all

    the
    > files and folders from that machine to this new machine, but many of the
    > programs in the old machine have not been installed in the new machine, so
    > if anything, I might expect the used space on my new machine would be less
    > than 12 GB. Now it is possible that Vista itself takes up a lot more space
    > than XP did, so that could be part, but not all of the reason.
    >
    > Anyway shortly after installing Vista on the new machine I checked the
    > amount of used space and it showed 12 GB (out of 500 GB). A few days later
    > it was at 30 GB and now it is at 62.5 GB. Holy cow I have not loaded that
    > much stuff on this drive. The C:\Windows folder alone is showing 12.3 GB.
    > When I add in the rest of the folders on the C drive I don't come anywhere
    > near 62.5 GB. Does anyone have any idea why my C drive is showing so much
    > used space?

    Probably being used by system restore

    philo, Feb 3, 2008

  3. Ken Triebold

    Ken Triebold Guest

    By the way, I did check the size allocated for temporary internet files, and
    that is set at 1024MB so that should be OK.

    Ken Triebold, Feb 3, 2008
  4. Ken Triebold

    Carlos Guest

    Ken,
    Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools
    You will find there a program for freeing space in the disk.
    (I can't tell you the name of that program because I'm running Vista in
    Spanish)
    Execute it and you will find clues regarding what is eating your hard disk
    real state and/or clean it.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 3, 2008
  5. "Disk Cleanup"

    The user can simply type "disk cleanup" in Start/Search and hit Enter.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 3, 2008
  6. Ken Triebold

    Ken Triebold Guest

    You must mean "Disk Cleanup". I did run that program earlier today and I
    looked at it again just now. It doesn't show any files that are anywhere
    near the size that would cause this issue. Anyway I ran it again and went
    from 64.5 GB to 62.1 GB. That was due to cleaning files in the "Hibernation"
    file, but anyway that was only 2 GB. I need to find out where the other 50
    GB are going. I will keep an eye on this.

    Ken Triebold, Feb 3, 2008
  7. Ken Triebold

    Carlos Guest

    Thanks, Colin.
    I could not figure out the translation.
    In Spanish it goes like "Liberador de espacio en el disco", which is
    "Program to set free space in disk".
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 3, 2008
  8. The daily automatic System Restore points will take up to 15% of your disk
    by default. They are automatically managed and older restore points will be
    deleted as necesssary to stay within the limit.

    If you don't need the space I think they are best left alone.

    If you really want to remove them, and reduce the functionality of System
    Restore, run Disk Cleanup and select the Clean Up option under the More
    Options tab.

    Dominic Payer, Feb 3, 2008
  9. I like "disk liberator" better. :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 3, 2008
  10. I went from 30GB to 70GB in a couple of weeks on Vista Ultimate x64. The
    system disk is 500GB so the numbers are not out of line with default
    settings for system restore. It takes some getting used to but it is not a
    glitch.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 3, 2008
  11. Reason #27 for why I install ALL OS's to reasonable sized partitions and
    then put everything else on a different volume. My Vista volumes are never
    more than about 60 GB total, and that forces Vista to be reasonable about
    storage.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 3, 2008
  12. Ken Triebold

    Ken Triebold Guest

    All right. I guess if that space is being used to create restore points I
    can live with that. I know in the past I have had to rely on System Restore
    a few times and it sure is nice to have when needed. Thanks, everyone for
    the help.

    -Ken

    Ken Triebold, Feb 3, 2008
  13. Ken Triebold

    Mark Guest

    Open Explorer:
    Turn on File Details in Explorer and expand drives/directories one at a
    time chasing only the largest.
    A 62 GB directory or 40 GB file should stand out. You will probably find
    a simple text file that is recording a lot of the same error. Just delete
    it.
    If it is an error occurring, it will start re-writing the file pretty
    quickly. Being much smaller now, it won't be so hard to open and take a
    look.

    If it is System Restore and your system is running okay, go in and delete
    all but the most recent restore.
    You can limit System Restore once you are down to one file.

    Mark, Feb 4, 2008
  14. Ken Triebold

    Ken Triebold Guest

    Mark, The C: drive is the culprit, but an examination of the files and
    folders in C do not reveal specifically where this huge amount of storage is
    being taken up. For that reason I believe it is being used by System
    Restore. I would like to delete most of the restore points and change System
    Restore so as not to create restore points so frequently as you suggested. I
    looked into Windows Help to find out how to do these things but there was no
    information on it. I also went into System Restore and was unable to figure
    out how to do these things there either. Can you offer any instruction as to
    how I can follow through with your suggestions? Note: I have Vista Home
    Premium x64.

    Ken Triebold, Feb 4, 2008
  15. Ken Triebold

    Carlos Guest

    Ken,
    I am right in front of my XP machine at work and the following might apply
    to Vista too.
    Fire up system restore and click on "Configure System Restore"
    There is a slider to assign how much space you devote to it on your hard disk.
    Then again, this is how XP does it.
    I will have to wait to get back home and see how Vista does it.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 4, 2008
  16. Ken Triebold

    Ken Triebold Guest

    Thanks, Carlos, but there is nothing like "Configure System Restore" or a
    slider for disk space size in Vista that I could find. Apparently it is not
    configurable.

    Ken Triebold, Feb 4, 2008
  17. Yes it is. Did you try simply typing "system restore" in the Start/Search
    box and hitting enter? That works for almost any program. Any.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 4, 2008
  18. Ken Triebold

    Ken Triebold Guest

    When I type System Restore in the Start/Search box and hit enter I am taken
    to the same System Restore dialog box that you would get if you go to it in
    All Programs, Accessories, System Tools. There is no configuration option to
    be seen either way.

    Ken Triebold, Feb 4, 2008
  19. Didn't you click on the link "Open system protection"?

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 4, 2008
  20. Ken Triebold

    Mark Guest

    From an elevated CMD prompt:
    vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /on=[drive letter]: /For=[drive letter]:
    /Maxsize=[maximum size]

    MaxSize must be 300MB or greater and accepts the following suffixes: KB, MB,
    GB, TB, PB and EB. If a suffix is not supplied, MaxSize is in bytes. If
    MaxSize is not specified, then there will be no limit to the amount of space
    it may use.

    For example, if you want System Restore to use a maximum of 3GB of space for
    the restore points on drive "C:", you should type the following:
    vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=3GB
    (Note: Resizing the storage association may cause shadow copies to
    disappear!)

    For other information:
    Type vssadmin /? and press Enter to see the list of available options.

    e.g.
    If you want to know how much space has been allocated and the maximum amount
    of space that can be used by System Restore type the following command:
    vssadmin List ShadowStorage

    Mark, Feb 4, 2008