Used DVDs in Paris (France)??

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Krokodil Krokodilovich, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. I'm wondering about the used DVD marketplace in Paris.

    I'm not going, but some friends will be in Paris in about a week(for
    about a week), and I hope to ask them to pick up a couple of Region 2
    titles for me.

    1. Is it even legal to sell old/used CDs or DVDs in France? I assume
    yes, but you never know in these days & times :)

    2. What would be the least expensive place/places to send them?

    3. Do video rental shops sell their old DVDs? Which are the good ones?

    4. Are there many used CD/music stores that also handle used DVDs?

    5. What's the going rate/price for used DVDs?

    I know about FNAC & Virgin, and have heard they both have good
    selections of NEW DVDs, but not about previously-owned discs. I know I
    can also order from www.amazon.fr or www.fnac.com, but I'm too cheap
    to do so :)

    Any info would likely be helpful, so Thanks/Merci ahead of time!!

    VL
    (in Region 1 & wanting some PAL DVDs)

    Krokodil Krokodilovich, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Krokodil Krokodilovich

    scribz Guest

    On 2004-06-21 21:29:06 +0200, (Krokodil
    Krokodilovich) said:

    > I'm wondering about the used DVD marketplace in Paris.

    I'm in Paris.

    > 1. Is it even legal to sell old/used CDs or DVDs in France? I assume
    > yes, but you never know in these days & times :)

    I'e yet to find a place that does. There might be, just don't know of any.

    > 2. What would be the least expensive place/places to send them?

    Online, a place called CD Discount. Some great bargains but tehreally
    cheap one's are clearly bootlegged copies as no English language, etc.

    If not, Fnac is the biggest store carrying them.

    > 3. Do video rental shops sell their old DVDs? Which are the good ones?

    Yes. But video rental places here are weird. They only really stock
    films from the last year. No classics.

    > 5. What's the going rate/price for used DVDs?

    New DVD's... Old films are 15Euros. New releases go around 25Euros.

    Have fun.

    scribz, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Krokodil Krokodilovich

    yaya23 Guest

    Hello,

    I leave near Paris. Yes, there are shops who buy your dvds, and you can buy
    used dvds

    I know one : "Joseph Gibert" on the Boulevard Saint-Germain (in the Quartier
    Latin)
    But even the used prices are often more expensive than the online store
    (like cdiscount.com).

    In Virgin, Fnac, there are lot of low prices now, with "special discount"
    operations.
    And in Paris, the "sale goods" begin...tomorrow ! you might see good prices
    on dvds

    Yaya

    de news:...

    yaya23, Jun 22, 2004
  4. Krokodil Krokodilovich

    poldy Guest

    In article <2004062207074075249%scribz@spymacnospamcom>,
    scribz <> wrote:

    > New DVD's... Old films are 15Euros. New releases go around 25Euros.

    Mais c'est trop cher.

    poldy, Jun 23, 2004
  5. Krokodil Krokodilovich

    Mr Smiley Guest

    French DVD releases will have french menus, UNREMOVABLE French subs (if
    not a dub audio track only), original captions, explanatory text, etc.,
    replaced with french translations... and more such "features" to make
    them worthless.

    Mr Smiley, Jun 25, 2004
  6. Krokodil Krokodilovich

    Terry Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:53:17 +0000 (UTC), Mr Smiley <:)@:).:)> wrote:

    >French DVD releases will have french menus, UNREMOVABLE French subs (if
    >not a dub audio track only), original captions, explanatory text, etc.,
    >replaced with french translations... and more such "features" to make
    >them worthless.

    um... not strictly true. there are as many different ways of loading
    up on languages and subtitles as there are production houses. Most
    can be got round with anyDVD.

    also, perhaps the OP *wants* French language media.
    --
    Terry
    Geneva

    Terry, Jun 25, 2004