    here thinks I can just go with the existing TIM? (Im going to run an
    XP 2000+). And who says I must use the silver instead?

    thanks in advance! good day
    1st-timer, Jul 2, 2004

  2. 1st-timer

    ICee Guest

    1st-timer wrote:
    > I have a new heatsink from thermaltake that came with a preapplied
    > thermal interface material. I've read some advice to use silver
    > compound instead, which I happen to have a tube of. But, it seems
    > dangerous, to me, to try to scrape off the existing compound because
    > of the scenario where I fail to get the stuff completely off, and the
    > existance of two different types of thermal interface material creates
    > a bigger problem..
    > I've read instructions to use a razor blade and avoid heating the
    > stuff up... but really, how much success am I really going to have if
    > we are talking about microscopic details here?
    > I'm a newb at putting on heatsinks (if that's not obvious)... but who
    > here thinks I can just go with the existing TIM? (Im going to run an
    > XP 2000+). And who says I must use the silver instead?
    >
    > thanks in advance! good day

    If you are not going to overclock the CPU, the TIM pad is fine. You may
    get a couple degrees reduction in temperature with Arctic Silver, or
    similar compound, but it's not really worth the trouble if your not
    overclocking.
    ICee, Jul 2, 2004

  3. ICee wrote:
    > 1st-timer wrote:
    >> I have a new heatsink from thermaltake that came with a preapplied
    >> thermal interface material. I've read some advice to use silver
    >> compound instead, which I happen to have a tube of. But, it seems
    >> dangerous, to me, to try to scrape off the existing compound because
    >> of the scenario where I fail to get the stuff completely off, and the
    >> existance of two different types of thermal interface material
    >> creates a bigger problem..
    >> I've read instructions to use a razor blade and avoid heating the
    >> stuff up... but really, how much success am I really going to have if
    >> we are talking about microscopic details here?
    >> I'm a newb at putting on heatsinks (if that's not obvious)... but who
    >> here thinks I can just go with the existing TIM? (Im going to run an
    >> XP 2000+). And who says I must use the silver instead?
    >>
    >> thanks in advance! good day

    > If you are not going to overclock the CPU, the TIM pad is fine. You
    > may get a couple degrees reduction in temperature with Arctic Silver,
    > or similar compound, but it's not really worth the trouble if your not
    > overclocking.

    And that answers his questions how exactly, you fuckwitted, nonviable, insufficient cleaner?
    ICee, the giant comedy, bemiring dung ball, Jul 2, 2004
  4. 1st-timer

    SgtMinor Guest

    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

    SgtMinor, Jul 2, 2004
  5. 1st-timer

    Paul - xxx Guest

    1st-timer typed:
    > I have a new heatsink from thermaltake that came with a preapplied
    > thermal interface material. I've read some advice to use silver
    > compound instead, which I happen to have a tube of. But, it seems
    > dangerous, to me, to try to scrape off the existing compound because
    > of the scenario where I fail to get the stuff completely off, and the
    > existance of two different types of thermal interface material creates
    > a bigger problem..
    > I've read instructions to use a razor blade and avoid heating the
    > stuff up... but really, how much success am I really going to have if
    > we are talking about microscopic details here?
    > I'm a newb at putting on heatsinks (if that's not obvious)... but who
    > here thinks I can just go with the existing TIM? (Im going to run an
    > XP 2000+). And who says I must use the silver instead?
    >
    > thanks in advance! good day

    Personally, I'd scrape the pad off and use paste, but then I've done it a
    few times .. ;)

    If this is the first time for you then maybe sticking with the pad is a
    reasonable idea .. especially if you can't afford to **** up. The
    difference in performance between pad and paste possibly isn't worth the
    effort involved if you're running a plain system, and aren't confident about
    what you can do anyway .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks