    answer.

    Thanks
    Dave

    Curmudgeon, Apr 27, 2008

  2. Curmudgeon

    Guest

    On Apr 27, 4:27 pm, Curmudgeon <> wrote:
    > I have a Sony VAIO VGC RA820G computer/monitor. The computer has died
    > and is being replaced with a Dell. The VAIO has DVI output, and the
    > monitor cable has a molded DVI-D plug. Two questions: 1) can the Sony
    > monitor be used with the Dell VGA computer, and 2) does there exist an
    > adapter with female DVI-D to male D connector so I can plug the Sony
    > monitor into the standard video port on the Dell?
    >
    > I asked Sony tech support this question but could not get a straight
    > answer.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dave

    Hopefully the Dell comes with a DVI output. If not, hopefully the
    monitor has a VGA input. If not, you are screwed, as a DVI output can
    easily be converted into a VGA output (some of the pins on DVI are
    dedicated to carrying a VGA signal), but a VGA output cannot be
    converted to a DVI output without some sort of image processing which
    means it is going to be cheaper to buy a new monitor or graphics card.

    I have never had a problem with incompatibilities between different
    versions of DVI, if that is what you are worried about. There are
    different versions, supposedly with some incompatibilities, but it has
    always "just worked" for me so apparently most computer stuff runs the
    same version. I believe you can tell because the large flat pin in
    the plug will have different orientations.

    Aaron

    , Apr 28, 2008