Use router to selectively block file sharing on one of my computers?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Roger, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. Roger

    Roger Guest

    Machine 1: XP-Home, SP2
    Machine 2: 98SE
    Machine 3: 98SE
    DSL Modem: Netopia Cayman 3341 (CenturyTel)
    Router: Looking for recommendations

    Situation: Recently went from dial-up on Machine 1 (which
    provided ICS to Machine 2) to DSL on Machine 1.

    Desired configuration:
    DSL modem => Router w/Ethernet switch => Machines 1-3.
    (Machines 1 & 2 will be wired via Ethernet; Machine 3 will be
    wireless. So, I'm considering something like the Microsoft MN-700
    for the router.) Machines 1-3 all need Internet access. Machines
    1 & 2 need to have complete, unfettered file and printer sharing
    with each other (entire hard drives fully shared). Machine 3
    *must* be blocked from accessing the shared files and printers on
    Machines 1 & 2.

    How can this be accomplished? Can the router be configured to
    selectively block one machine's access to another machine's
    shared devices? Can some software firewall (ZoneAlarm, etc.) do
    this?

    Many, many thanks for any help you can provide this neophyte!

    P.S. - If this is not an appropriate newsgroup for this query,
    please point me to a better one.

    Roger, Feb 16, 2005

  2. What you would want to do is use firewall software on machines 1 and 2 to
    block the IP address of machine 3.

    Robert Jacobs, Feb 16, 2005

  3. Roger

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Since Routers are very inexpensive to day (some are $10-$20 on sale/rebate)
    buy two Routers.

    Connect one Router to the DSL Modem and connect computer 3 to it. Connect
    the second Router’s WAN port to a regular port on the first Router and put
    computer 1 and 2 on it.

    Configure the segments as two independent Networks. All computers will be
    able to access the Internet, but computer 3 will not access computers 1-2
    since the Router NAT will block it. 1-2 would be able to access 3.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 17, 2005