    camera bodies which would suit these lenses? Are there any disadvantages in
    using them with a digital camera body? - Any knowledgeable replies would be
    much appreciated..

    Paul Cotton, Sep 12, 2004

  2. Paul Cotton

    Mark B. Guest

    "Paul Cotton" <> wrote in message
    news:4144a0f6$...
    >I have an ageing OM10 with an assortment of Olympus and other lenses - all
    > still in good working order.
    > I would like to go digital and wonder if there are any good quality
    > digital
    > camera bodies which would suit these lenses? Are there any disadvantages
    > in
    > using them with a digital camera body? - Any knowledgeable replies would
    > be
    > much appreciated..

    Unfortunately, the only Olympus digital SLR (E-1) has a totally new lens
    mount. Your lenses won't work with any digital SLR on the market right now.
    I suppose there might be an adapter to make the lenses fit, but something
    like that requires a lot of users to fill the need - something the E-1 does
    not have.

    Mark

    Mark B., Sep 12, 2004

  3. Paul Cotton

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <4144a0f6$>,
    "Paul Cotton" <> wrote:

    > I have an ageing OM10 with an assortment of Olympus and other lenses - all
    > still in good working order.
    > I would like to go digital and wonder if there are any good quality digital
    > camera bodies which would suit these lenses?

    The only one that can use those is the Olympus E-1 (I own one, very nice
    camera), with the appropriate OM-adapter.

    http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/default.asp

    > Are there any disadvantages in
    > using them with a digital camera body? - Any knowledgeable replies would be
    > much appreciated..

    Many disadvantages: first the crop-factor, all your lenses will be a
    factor 2 "longer" when used on the E-1. That means that a 18mm superwide
    will produce images like a 36mm semi-wide lens. On the tele-side, this
    effect could actually be an advantage, a plain 135mm F2.8 will give the
    angle of view of a 270mm, at F2.8...

    then: No AF. but since you haven't used AF yet, you probably won't
    really miss it.

    and: metering is possible, but in stop-down mode only. P and S settings
    can not be used. You loose a lot of the camera's functionality, and much
    of it's superb handling.

    All in all, not an ideal solution, and getting the E-1 without the
    special lenses for it seems like a dumb idea because in the E-1 case
    it's the combination lens-body, and the entire optical system, that
    makes it so nice. Also, when you have seen the image-quality at F2.8
    across the entire frame, you don't WANT to use old 35mm lenses
    anymore...

    Depending on what lenses you have, I would get the E-1 with 14-54mm (or
    maybe the 11-22mm...) plus the OM-adapter, and keep one or two tele's
    from the OM days. (well you'll see quickly enough which lenses remain
    useful...) After this initial purchase you can then migrate slowly to a
    more complete E-system, exchanging old stuff for new equipment as you go
    along.

    PS: Photokina (end of september) will bring a new Olympus E-body,
    cheaper than the E1, with two matching cheaper lenses, a standard-zoom
    and a tele-zoom.

    Lourens

    Lourens Smak, Sep 12, 2004
  4. Paul Cotton

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <>,
    "Mark B." <> wrote:

    > "Paul Cotton" <> wrote in message
    > >I have an ageing OM10 with an assortment of Olympus and other lenses - all
    > > still in good working order.
    > > I would like to go digital and wonder if there are any good quality
    > > digital
    > > camera bodies which would suit these lenses? Are there any disadvantages
    > > in
    > > using them with a digital camera body? - Any knowledgeable replies would
    > > be
    > > much appreciated..
    > >

    > Unfortunately, the only Olympus digital SLR (E-1) has a totally new lens
    > mount. Your lenses won't work with any digital SLR on the market right now.
    > I suppose there might be an adapter to make the lenses fit, but something
    > like that requires a lot of users to fill the need - something the E-1 does
    > not have.

    There are many adapters for the E-1, including OM lenses, Leica R
    lenses, and Zeiss/Contax lenses. There is also a Nikkor adapter and the
    E-1 will actually measure the light (and work on A) with old Nikkors.

    http://www.cameraquest.com/adapt_olyE1.htm

    However, the new telecentric lenses are one of the main reasons to
    choose the E-system, in my opinion.
    ;-)
    Lourens

    Lourens Smak, Sep 12, 2004
  5. Paul Cotton

    Paul Cotton Guest

    ust a quick note to say thank you to those who responded to my question.
    This was much appreceated and thanks for taking the time to do it. This has
    saved me no end of research!

    Paul Cotton, Sep 14, 2004
  6. Paul Cotton

    Hils Guest

    Paul Cotton wrote

    >ust a quick note to say thank you to those who responded to my question.
    >This was much appreceated and thanks for taking the time to do it. This has
    >saved me no end of research!

    There's another option: use an adapter to use OM lenses on a Canon EOS
    body. You'll lose all coupling (though manual and aperture priority
    modes will still work) and you'll have a crop factor of 1.6, 1.3 or 1
    depending on which Canon body you use.

    --
    Hil

    Hils, Sep 18, 2004