    May be I will use IE for FTP Programme as it get connected and then the
    server cutting it off.

    Rajinder

    Chaudhry.Nijjhar, Mar 15, 2009

  2. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    G. Morgan Guest

    Chaudhry.Nijjhar wrote:

    >Could I have both the IE and Mozilla on the same computer but use one at a
    >time and not both together?

    Yes, of course. You can also use them both at the same time if you wish.

    >May be I will use IE for FTP Programme as it get connected and then the
    >server cutting it off.

    I don't know why you had such a hard time with the other FTP programs you were
    trying.

    You do know that by default most FTP servers will boot you off after a certain
    amount of in-activity, right? To counter this, most FTP client programs have
    a "keep alive" setting.
    --
    "Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_fe_st/odd_goat_thief_5

    **Important Update**
    Magic goat detained for armed robbery:
    http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=13298291

    G. Morgan, Mar 15, 2009

  3. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 18:02:13 -0000, "Chaudhry.Nijjhar"
    <> wrote:

    >Could I have both the IE and Mozilla on the same computer but use one at a
    >time and not both together?
    >
    >May be I will use IE for FTP Programme as it get connected and then the
    >server cutting it off.

    How many times do you intend to ask the same question?

    Evan Platt, Mar 15, 2009
  4. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 18:02:13 -0000, Chaudhry.Nijjhar wrote:

    For an MSc you are running short on smarts.

    You have already asked this question today in the original thread

    From: "Chaudhry.Nijjhar" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Re: Free FTP for retired lecturer.

    and started a new thread 6 minutes later. I would hate to see the index
    for any book / paper you have written.

    >Hi,
    >
    >Could I have both the IE and Mozilla on the same computer but use one at a
    >time and not both together?

    Yes. You can use one at a time or both at the same time.

    On ocassions I have had IE, SeaMonkey, Opera and other browsers all
    running at the same time.

    >May be I will use IE for FTP Programme as it get connected and then the
    >server cutting it off.

    ARGH!!! Read your other replies, even those you already commented on.
    Stop asking the same question.

    Get a proper FTP program, as already recommended,
    http://filezilla-project.org/

    It will work with both the
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rajinder.nijjhar/sikhism.htm
    http://www.nijjhar.freeserve.co.uk/sikhism.htm
    sites, although the freeserve hasn't been updated since 2007.

    If you are getting the permissions denied FTP error on the ntlworld
    uploads like lots of NTL people you have to contact VM support.

    >Rajinder

    Me

    why?, Mar 15, 2009
  5. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    walter Guest

    G. Morgan wrote:

    > Chaudhry.Nijjhar wrote:
    >
    >> Could I have both the IE and Mozilla on the same computer but use
    >> one at a time and not both together?

    > Yes, of course. You can also use them both at the same time if you
    > wish.

    While that is true, I'd suggest reading VERY carefully while installing
    Firefox for the *first* time unless you don't care that it'll take over your
    whole browsing "experience" by default. :)

    And I mean right down to launching itself even if you click the IE icon on
    your desktop.

    [That was some sneaky shit if ya ask me] :)

    walter, Mar 15, 2009
  6. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    G. Morgan Guest

    walter wrote:

    >While that is true, I'd suggest reading VERY carefully while installing
    >Firefox for the *first* time unless you don't care that it'll take over your
    >whole browsing "experience" by default. :)
    >
    >And I mean right down to launching itself even if you click the IE icon on
    >your desktop.
    >
    >[That was some sneaky shit if ya ask me] :)

    I've not seen that behavior at all. Can you elaborate on how that happened to
    you?

    G. Morgan, Mar 15, 2009
  7. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    chuckcar Guest

    "Chaudhry.Nijjhar" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > Could I have both the IE and Mozilla on the same computer but use one at
    > a time and not both together?
    >
    > May be I will use IE for FTP Programme as it get connected and then the
    > server cutting it off.

    If you want to use ftp and you're not proficient in how/why it works (as
    you most certainly are), just use a command prompt. At a "dos" prompt you
    type:

    ftp <DNS>

    Where <DNS> is the name server of the ftp site such as ftp.wustl.edu.
    at which point the server will come back with

    login:

    it is considered acceptable ftp etiquette to type "anonymous" at this
    point. then you will get

    password:

    here you type your email address - you will *not* get junk mail from this.
    One of the few places on the net you can guarantee it.

    then you will get a prompt. Most likely something like

    ftp>

    the word "help" lists available commands, bye logs you out.

    The most important thing about this is that it *will* give you *any* error
    message or when you're logged out as well as why you can't log in (just
    not allowed or too many people etc) along with pretty well everything else
    you *don't* see with a web browser.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 16, 2009
  8. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 00:15:31 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >If you want to use ftp and you're not proficient in how/why it works (as
    >you most certainly are), just use a command prompt. At a "dos" prompt you
    >type:
    >
    >ftp <DNS>
    >
    >Where <DNS> is the name server of the ftp site such as ftp.wustl.edu.
    >at which point the server will come back with

    Uhhh... So why would you type the NAME SERVER of the ftp site you wish
    to access?

    Do you have ANY IDEA what you just said?

    >login:
    >
    >it is considered acceptable ftp etiquette to type "anonymous" at this
    >point. then you will get
    >
    >password:
    >
    >here you type your email address - you will *not* get junk mail from this.
    >One of the few places on the net you can guarantee it.

    OMG.. Cluelessness at its best.

    Evan Platt, Mar 16, 2009
  9. Evan Platt wrote:

    > "Chaudhry.Nijjhar" wrote:
    >> Could I have both the IE and Mozilla on the same computer but use one
    >> at a time and not both together?
    >>
    >> May be I will use IE for FTP Programme as it get connected and then
    >> the server cutting it off.

    > How many times do you intend to ask the same question?

    Are you sure the previous question was about *Firebox*? ;-)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 16, 2009
  10. walter wrote:

    > While that is true, I'd suggest reading VERY carefully while installing
    > Firefox for the *first* time unless you don't care that it'll take over
    > your whole browsing "experience" by default. :)
    >
    > And I mean right down to launching itself even if you click the IE icon on
    > your desktop.
    >
    > [That was some sneaky shit if ya ask me] :)

    Crazy. The "original" IE icon (that one that isn't a merely a link, but
    opens IE properties upon right-click) should never do so.
    You may have to set desktop preferences to get it to show up, together with
    the "my computer", "my files" and "network places" symbols.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 16, 2009
  11. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    Gordon Guest

    G. Morgan wrote:
    > walter wrote:
    >
    >> While that is true, I'd suggest reading VERY carefully while installing
    >> Firefox for the *first* time unless you don't care that it'll take over your
    >> whole browsing "experience" by default. :)
    >>
    >> And I mean right down to launching itself even if you click the IE icon on
    >> your desktop.
    >>
    >> [That was some sneaky shit if ya ask me] :)

    > I've not seen that behavior at all. Can you elaborate on how that happened to
    > you?

    FF has a "Make this the default Browser" option during the install
    process. It is checked by default. If you don't spot it, then it becomes
    the default browser, err, by default!

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

    Gordon, Mar 16, 2009
  12. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    G. Morgan Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    >FF has a "Make this the default Browser" option during the install
    >process. It is checked by default. If you don't spot it, then it becomes
    >the default browser, err, by default!

    Well yeah, but that doesn't make the IE icon launch FF.

    G. Morgan, Mar 16, 2009
  13. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    walter Guest

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

    > walter wrote:

    >> While that is true, I'd suggest reading VERY carefully while
    >> installing Firefox for the *first* time unless you don't care that
    >> it'll take over your whole browsing "experience" by default. :)
    >>
    >> And I mean right down to launching itself even if you click the IE
    >> icon on your desktop.
    >>
    >> [That was some sneaky shit if ya ask me] :)
    >>

    > Crazy. The "original" IE icon (that one that isn't a merely a link,
    > but opens IE properties upon right-click) should never do so.
    > You may have to set desktop preferences to get it to show up,
    > together with the "my computer", "my files" and "network places"
    > symbols.

    Actually all I had to do was delete the desktop icon for IE (which FF had
    hijacked) and re-drag IE out of the start menu creating a 'fresh' shortcut.
    Still had to mess around with file-associations that got changed though.
    Not saying it was FF's "fault". It was probably mine for not paying close
    enough attention to the *initial* install. For some reason I figured FF
    wouldn't attempt such 'larceny' as all the people promoting it generally did
    so because they thought it was NOT as invasive as IE by "default". Well it
    is. Or at least it USED to be. My initial install was a few years ago.
    Like I said, once I got everyhting back the way I wanted it, subsequent FF
    automatic updates have not messed with any settings at all. And I kinda
    like it.

    walter, Mar 16, 2009
  14. walter wrote:

    > Actually all I had to do was delete the desktop icon for IE (which FF
    > had hijacked)

    In literally dozens of Firefox installs, I have never once seen that
    happen.

    When I install better browsers for friends and clients, I usually add
    Firefox and Opera, then rename the IE desktop icon to:

    "Evil Program!"

    ...or in some cases (the really illiterate), just remove the IE icon
    altogether.

    --
    -bts
    -"Windows - Life Without Wallsâ„¢" <-- recent MS TV ad

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 16, 2009
  15. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    walter Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > walter wrote:
    >
    >> Actually all I had to do was delete the desktop icon for IE (which FF
    >> had hijacked)

    > In literally dozens of Firefox installs, I have never once seen that
    > happen.

    Have you ever seen a shortcut for IE placed on a desktop BEFORE you
    *INITIALLY* installed FF, or did IE reside ONLY in the start menu in every
    case? As I said, FF did not "hijack" IE from the start menu. Only from the
    IE shortcut placed on the desktop.

    > When I install better browsers for friends and clients, I usually add
    > Firefox and Opera, then rename the IE desktop icon to:
    >
    > "Evil Program!"

    That's just plain stupid, not to mention unethical as it pertains to
    (paying) clients.

    > ..or in some cases (the really illiterate), just remove the IE icon
    > altogether.

    You *ARE* kidding, right? If not? What happens when your "client" needs
    to access his banking website that doesn't want to know from FF? Do you
    advise your "client" to tell the bank to upgrade their website?

    walter, Mar 16, 2009
  16. walter wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> walter wrote:
    >>> Actually all I had to do was delete the desktop icon for IE (which
    >>> FF had hijacked)

    >> In literally dozens of Firefox installs, I have never once seen that
    >> happen.

    > Have you ever seen a shortcut for IE placed on a desktop BEFORE you
    > *INITIALLY* installed FF,

    Of course I have. It's a blue 'e' and on standard Windows installs,
    resides on the left side, near "My Computer", "My Network Places",
    "Outlook Express", "Recycle Bin."

    > or did IE reside ONLY in the start menu in every case?

    See what I wrote. It's a shortcut icon.

    > As I said, FF did not "hijack" IE from the start menu. Only from the
    > IE shortcut placed on the desktop.

    I know what you said, and did not misinterpret it.

    >> When I install better browsers for friends and clients, I usually add
    >> Firefox and Opera, then rename the IE desktop icon to:
    >>
    >> "Evil Program!"

    > That's just plain stupid, not to mention unethical as it pertains to
    > (paying) clients.

    Ok, you believe that then. It is your prerogative to do so. All of these
    friends and clients were/are grateful for the help in understanding
    something they had no clues about. Most actually chuckled when they
    first noticed "Evil Program!"

    >> ..or in some cases (the really illiterate), just remove the IE icon
    >> altogether.

    > You *ARE* kidding, right?

    Not in the least.

    In one case, a friend who was a complete boob with computers, is
    intimidated by them and actually afraid of them. As I was cleaning out
    the viruses he'd acquired, I installed Firefox and Thunderbird and used
    the IE and OE shortcuts, and their icons, to start FF and Tbird. I told
    him there were upgrades for security reasons, and the appearance had
    changed along with these upgrades. "More modern looking," I said. He
    never knew the difference, and never got himself infected again. Oh,
    along with the addition of a router on his cable connection.

    > If not? What happens when your "client" needs to access his banking
    > website that doesn't want to know from FF?

    In that very rare case (these days), I'd tell him to call up IE from the
    Start>Programs menu.

    If you assumed I actually uninstalled IE, you were mistaken.

    > Do you advise your "client" to tell the bank to upgrade their website?

    Hell, I changed my *own* bank 10-12 years ago because they had a web
    site that required IE. And I told them precisely why I was moving my
    money elsewhere.

    I still have and use that new bank, plus one other, plus online credit
    card processing, plus online prescription drug ordering, and none of
    these sites require the use of Internet Exploder.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 16, 2009
  17. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    catchme Guest

    Chaudhry.Nijjhar wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Could I have both the IE and Mozilla on the same computer but use one at a
    > time and not both together?
    >
    > May be I will use IE for FTP Programme as it get connected and then the
    > server cutting it off.
    >
    > Rajinder

    best way to ftp is subscribe to alt.bbs.doors
    this will provide you with a number of people who are operating bbs
    sites, most of which emulate certain computers, applications and games
    from the grand old days of bbs (an internet service available way before
    windows).
    These sites offer an emulated 1200baud modem connection over broadband
    or greater, often with a text- only email account, a few text games and
    ftp access.
    Enjoy!

    catchme, Mar 16, 2009