    Dell Laptop
    256mb compact flash card

    Thanks All

    SlipKid, Sep 9, 2004

  2. SlipKid

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:31:34 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "SlipKid"
    <> wrote:

    >What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
    >cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get the
    >files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
    >connecting it to your computer.
    >Nikon D70
    >Dell Laptop
    >256mb compact flash card

    Leave a card reader connected all the time and save the camera battery and
    needlessly plugging/unplugging it in my experience. 10,000+ images with my
    990 and 3,300+ with my 5700.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Sep 9, 2004

  3. I have a compact card slot on my computer and use that and import them via a
    program called PICASA, which is free from Google. I love it because you can
    make folders and drag and drop into them.

    Rosanne

    Rosanne Cleveland-King, Sep 9, 2004
  4. SlipKid

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Card reader.

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 9, 2004
  5. In article <JvN%c.38357$xu6.17521@okepread02>, SlipKid <>
    wrote:

    > What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
    > cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get the
    > files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
    > connecting it to your computer.

    Firewire, baby...Firewire

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 9, 2004
  6. SlipKid

    Mark B. Guest

    "SlipKid" <> wrote in message
    > What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
    > cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get
    > the
    > files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
    > connecting it to your computer.
    > Nikon D70
    > Dell Laptop
    > 256mb compact flash card
    >
    > Thanks All

    Card reader:
    1. It's much faster, especially since most cameras don't have USB 2.0
    connection
    2. More convenient if you have more than 1 card to download
    3. Won't use the camera batteries to do the transfer

    Mark

    Mark B., Sep 9, 2004
  7. SlipKid

    Mike Guest

    I'm new to this (haven't bought a camera yet). I've got a Dell 8200 PC w/
    USB1.1
    What kinld of card reader should I buy? What's the speed difference between
    USB2 and FireWire?

    Mike

    Mike, Sep 9, 2004
  8. "SlipKid" <> writes:

    > What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
    > cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get the
    > files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
    > connecting it to your computer.

    If I'm taking a bunch of pictures, I likely will use my portable storage device
    (currently CompactDrive with a 6 gig disk in it), and download pictures in the
    field as I fill up memory cards. However, unless I get really snap happy, I
    generally have enough cards to see me through the day. Then I connect the
    drive, and download all of the pictures at once via USB 2.0.

    Other times, particularly if I only have one memory card full, I will use one
    of the card readers I have (at least one by every computer, and another one in
    the camera bag).

    A few times I will connect one of my cameras directly to the computer and
    download that way. However, I don't do it with the main camera, because it is
    very much slower than a card reader. Also, this particular camera (Olympus
    C-2100UZ) had a problem that a lot of people noticed that if the batteries ran
    out during the transfer, it could fry the backplane of the camera, rendering it
    useless. However, I believe the problem was fixed in newer models, so I do the
    transfer with my pocket camera (Olympus D-40Z).

    One concern I have with connecting the main camera to the computer is finding
    space on my desktop to hold it, since my desktop is usually piled high with
    stuff. If you have more than one memory card, it is a moot point, since you've
    already removed the card from the camera.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Sep 9, 2004
  9. "Mike" <> writes:

    > I'm new to this (haven't bought a camera yet). I've got a Dell 8200 PC w/
    > USB1.1
    > What kinld of card reader should I buy? What's the speed difference between
    > USB2 and FireWire?

    Well if you only have USB 1.1 on your system, then any USB card reader should
    do for you. If you have USB 2.0 or Firewire, the speed of your flash memory
    will determine how fast your transfer is. I've seen studies that suggest
    Firewire is faster than USB 2.0 under Windows, even though theoretically it
    should be the other way around. Unless you are transfering gigabytes of
    pictures, it probably won't matter too much whether you go with USB 1.1 or
    2.0.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Sep 9, 2004
  10. SlipKid

    Ron Hunter Guest

    SlipKid wrote:

    > What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
    > cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get the
    > files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
    > connecting it to your computer.
    > Nikon D70
    > Dell Laptop
    > 256mb compact flash card
    >
    > Thanks All

    I use whatever method is appropriate to the task. If I have just a few
    pictures to transfer, I use the Kodak 'dock'. This is a simple matter
    of a singly button press to do the transfer. However, the interface to
    which the dock is connected is only USB 1.1, and is a bit slow. If I
    have a full card, I take it to my wife's computer and put it into the
    internal flash card reader and get the maximum transfer rate the card
    will support.
    The only way in which the camera will be damaged by connecting it to the
    computer for such transfers is if you accidently pull the camera off the
    desk by snagging the cord (or a pet, or child does). That was why I
    bought a card reader in the first place.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 9, 2004
  11. SlipKid

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > I'm new to this (haven't bought a camera yet). I've got a Dell 8200 PC w/
    > USB1.1
    > What kinld of card reader should I buy? What's the speed difference between
    > USB2 and FireWire?
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:31:34 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "SlipKid"
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
    >>>cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get
    >>>the
    >>>files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
    >>>connecting it to your computer.
    >>>Nikon D70
    >>>Dell Laptop
    >>>256mb compact flash card

    >>Leave a card reader connected all the time and save the camera battery and
    >>needlessly plugging/unplugging it in my experience. 10,000+ images with my
    >>990 and 3,300+ with my 5700.
    >>________________________________________________________
    >>Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    >>See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    >>http://EdwardGRuf.com

    USB 2.0 and Firewire are both faster than the fastest flash cards
    available now. If you anticipate doing any video work in the near
    future, buying a Firewire card might be a good investment, otherwise, a
    USB 2.0 board will cost you under $20 and will transfer several times
    faster (depends on the max speed of the card) than USB 1.1.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 9, 2004
  12. SlipKid

    Mark M Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <JvN%c.38357$xu6.17521@okepread02>, SlipKid <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
    > > cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get

    the
    > > files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
    > > connecting it to your computer.

    > Firewire, baby...Firewire

    -Makes no difference.

    The card cannot spit data fast enough to differentiate between Firewire and
    USB 2.0.

    Mark M, Sep 9, 2004
  13. SlipKid

    Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:53:28 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >I'm new to this (haven't bought a camera yet). I've got a Dell 8200 PC w/
    >USB1.1
    >What kinld of card reader should I buy? What's the speed difference between
    >USB2 and FireWire?

    Someone else can answer that better than I can. But I'd
    suggest thinking about what computers you might want to connect to.
    Both yours and those of friends. They would likely all have USB right
    now, and may soon all have firewire.

    If you're just starting, you may also have not enough volume
    of files to transfer, sso the speed may be a minor issue.

    Finally, if expense isn't a big issue, get (or borrow) both
    and make your own decision as you use them. A simple USB CF card
    reader goes for about $15. For a little more, you can get one which
    will accept all common card types. That leaves the possibility of
    easier file sharing if you can read the cards of friends with
    different camera/card types.

    Otherwise, I'm not up on the various firewire readers.

    >Mike
    >
    >"Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:31:34 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "SlipKid"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
    >>>cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get
    >>>the
    >>>files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
    >>>connecting it to your computer.
    >>>Nikon D70
    >>>Dell Laptop
    >>>256mb compact flash card

    >> Leave a card reader connected all the time and save the camera battery and
    >> needlessly plugging/unplugging it in my experience. 10,000+ images with my
    >> 990 and 3,300+ with my 5700.
    >> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    >> See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    >> http://EdwardGRuf.com

    , Sep 9, 2004
  14. SlipKid

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <JvN%c.38357$xu6.17521@okepread02>, SlipKid <> wrote:
    >What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
    >cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get the
    >files?

    Neither. I use a Firewire card reader.

    Chris Brown, Sep 9, 2004
  15. SlipKid

    Matt Ion Guest

    SlipKid wrote:

    > What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
    > cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get the
    > files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
    > connecting it to your computer.
    > Nikon D70
    > Dell Laptop
    > 256mb compact flash card

    I find a card reader is almost twice as fast as transferring direct from
    my EOS Digital Rebel. This is with a 512MB "High-Speed" Lexar CF card
    and plugging both devices into my PC's USB 1.1 ports. YMMV depending on
    the camera and whether you have USB 2.0.

    Matt Ion, Sep 9, 2004
  16. SlipKid

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Card readers are much faster, especially the Firewire and USB2.

    Rosita

    HRosita, Sep 9, 2004
  17. SlipKid

    mark_digital Guest

    "SlipKid" <> wrote in message news:JvN%c.38357$xu6.17521@okepread02...
    What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
    cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get the
    files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
    connecting it to your computer.
    Nikon D70
    Dell Laptop
    256mb compact flash card

    Thanks All
    -----------
    -----------
    -----------
    Normally I recommend not to transfer via camera but if you can't
    take your eyes off that new toy you may want to do it anyway for
    awhile.

    mark_digital, Sep 9, 2004
  18. In article <5fR%c.286653$Oi.43252@fed1read04>, Mark M
    <> wrote:

    > > Firewire, baby...Firewire

    > -Makes no difference.
    >
    > The card cannot spit data fast enough to differentiate between Firewire and
    > USB 2.0.

    USB is lame.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 9, 2004
  19. SlipKid

    Mikey S. Guest

    Why do you condemn USB?
    USB 2.0 id much faster than any flash card, and works perfectly for this
    application and many others as well.
    The same applies to firewire of course, either one is just fine for this.

    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey S., Sep 9, 2004
  20. SlipKid

    Mikey S. Guest

    I always use a USB card reader, I have a bunch of cards and it's easier to
    just pop them in there one at a time rather than swapping them back into the
    camera. No, you won't damage the camera connecting it ( unless your careless
    and break something like a pin or drop it) but it's just easier to get an
    inexpensive card reader and use that instead.

    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey S., Sep 9, 2004