    Many thanks,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 22, 2003

  2. ~misfit~

    dOTdASH Guest

    "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
    news:6hGvb.5888$...
    > I've just put a machine together for a friend. He's using XP Pro and

    doesn't
    > want to install SP1. However the manual for his mobo states that SP1 is
    > needed for USB2 support. Does anyone know if there is a patch or some

    other
    > way of enabling USB2 without installing SP1?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    what's the problem with SP1 ?

    dOTdASH, Nov 22, 2003

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    dOTdASH wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
    >> I've just put a machine together for a friend. He's using XP Pro and
    >> doesn't want to install SP1. However the manual for his mobo states
    >> that SP1 is needed for USB2 support. Does anyone know if there is a
    >> patch or some other way of enabling USB2 without installing SP1?
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > what's the problem with SP1 ?

    Don't know, just that the customer doesn't want it. Paranoia of some
    description maybe. He's using the early retail version and is quite happy
    with it, he has the critical updates on CDR.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 22, 2003
  4. ~misfit~

    C Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:49:49 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    wrote:

    >I've just put a machine together for a friend. He's using XP Pro and doesn't
    >want to install SP1. However the manual for his mobo states that SP1 is
    >needed for USB2 support. Does anyone know if there is a patch or some other
    >way of enabling USB2 without installing SP1?
    >
    >Many thanks,
    >--
    >~misfit~

    When I installed my USB2.0 card it came with its own drivers for XP -
    just like the old days when Windows didn't recognise half the hardware
    around.

    C, Nov 22, 2003
  5. ~misfit~

    R-Slicks Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:42:44 -0800, "The Flash"
    <> wrote:

    <snipped>

    >If the (wo)man is really 'worried' about security why is using xp in the
    >first place?
    >
    >Neither XP, Linux or OSX are a really secure product.

    And that leaves, what, exactly ?
    --
    DO NOT reply to - it is simply a spam catch.
    You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"

    R-Slicks, Nov 22, 2003
  6. ~misfit~

    Jerry Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 07:58:05 +1300, R-Slicks <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:42:44 -0800, "The Flash"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    ><snipped>
    >
    >>If the (wo)man is really 'worried' about security why is using xp in the
    >>first place?
    >>
    >>Neither XP, Linux or OSX are a really secure product.

    >And that leaves, what, exactly ?

    MVS is secure

    Jerry

    Jerry, Nov 22, 2003
  7. ~misfit~

    nobody760 Guest

  8. ~misfit~

    dOTdASH Guest

    snip

    > The only reason people don't run SP1 is that the version of xp they have

    is
    > a corp edition and has been banned by microsoft.

    My experience has been the same, people who don't want SP1 tend to be using
    dodgy copies with one of the leaked keys. If I had to pay for my copies I
    don't see why they shouldn't do the same.

    dOTdASH, Nov 22, 2003
  9. ~misfit~

    dOTdASH Guest

    snip

    > Neither XP, Linux or OSX are a really secure product.

    The only *truly* secure OS is one running on a non-networked PC which is
    locked in a vault where nobody can access it. Any other configuration is, by
    definition, insecure.

    dOTdASH, Nov 22, 2003
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    dOTdASH wrote:
    > snip
    >>
    >> The only reason people don't run SP1 is that the version of xp they
    >> have is a corp edition and has been banned by microsoft.
    >>

    > My experience has been the same, people who don't want SP1 tend to be
    > using dodgy copies with one of the leaked keys. If I had to pay for
    > my copies I don't see why they shouldn't do the same.

    Well, sorry to dissapoint but this is a legit copy. It just belongs to an
    older person who is sick and tired of the MS merry-go-around. He tells me
    he's upgraded from/to MS OS's over the years and each time has been a PITA.
    He's happy with what he had before (says it's the last iteration of MS
    software he'll ever use) but now he's got a new mobo with USB2 support
    (which he wanted) he's pissed that it needs sp1 to function and asked me to
    look for alternatives.

    No sweat. he's more of a friend than a customer, I only build/upgrade
    computers as a hobby (He's just had a beast killed and has given me some
    meat for doing it, usually I just get to keep the old parts), mainly because
    I enjoy it and also I'm sick of hearing just how much some of my
    friends/aquaintances have paid for such simple things as having a stick of
    RAM installed. In fact this guy had his RAM bumped up a while ago and a
    month or so later had stability problems. I opened it up and the HSF was
    chock-full of dust! He'd just paid $200 to have his machine serviced and
    have 128MB of RAM fitted (which he paid for on top of the service fee, at a
    vastly inflated price, twice what I could get it for at any number of
    stores) and they hadn't even cleaned the dust out of the machine. I bet they
    hadn't even dusted the RAM slot before they put the new module in. It's a
    good job I had my soft paint-brushes with me (can't afford canned air). He
    doesn't deal with them anymore after I showed him his CPU heatsink
    pre-cleaning. The fan could only just spin there was that much dust in it.
    The cynic in me tells me it was deliberately left like that so they'd get
    another service call soon. The only problem is word of mouth, I am getting
    more people asking me to look at their PCs as they know I'm honest and
    charge bugger-all for it. I turn a lot down, if they can't afford to get it
    fixed elsewhere I'll usually do it. Especially if they have kids. Nowhere
    near enough to make a business of it, even if I was physically capable of
    it, but enough to keep me busy.

    Anyway, I digress, as usual.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 22, 2003
  11. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:05:26 +1300, "dOTdASH"
    <> wrote:

    >snip
    >>
    >> Neither XP, Linux or OSX are a really secure product.
    >>

    >The only *truly* secure OS is one running on a non-networked PC which is
    >locked in a vault where nobody can access it. Any other configuration is, by
    >definition, insecure.

    You forgot - it must also be powered off, and encased in concrete.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Nov 23, 2003
  12. ~misfit~

    R-Slicks Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:45:59 +1300, Jerry
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 07:58:05 +1300, R-Slicks <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:42:44 -0800, "The Flash"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >><snipped>
    >>
    >>>If the (wo)man is really 'worried' about security why is using xp in the
    >>>first place?
    >>>
    >>>Neither XP, Linux or OSX are a really secure product.

    >>And that leaves, what, exactly ?

    >MVS is secure
    >
    >Jerry

    Yep. Good choice for an easy to use highly compatible desktop OS...!
    Where you from again ? Jupiter ? Oh. Gotcha. Nice there this time of
    year ? Riiight... thought so.

    R-Slicks, Nov 23, 2003
  13. ~misfit~

    Mpaintnz Guest

    "dOTdASH" <> wrote in message
    > snip
    > >
    > > Neither XP, Linux or OSX are a really secure product.
    > >

    > The only *truly* secure OS is one running on a non-networked PC which is
    > locked in a vault where nobody can access it. Any other configuration is,

    by
    > definition, insecure.

    "The best way to secure a PC is to prevent it from using the internet, thats
    why we recommend using Xtra.."
    (apologies to Bash)

    Mpaintnz, Nov 23, 2003
  14. ~misfit~

    The Flash Guest

    USB2 can work in XP unservicepacked, however it requires using an unsigned
    drive and a bit of a registry fiddle. As both are naughty under XP I would
    hesitate ever doing this to a customers system. XP SP1 has been
    signifacantly beta / field and release tested, all documatation about issues
    it causes and address's are avalible and the general concensus is only runs
    SP1 XP.

    The Flash, Nov 23, 2003
  15. To get back to the original question:

    www.driversguide.com ---> u2v2.exe

    (I'm emailing it, Shaun, no need to go rooting around for it).

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Nov 24, 2003