    Firewire. My comp has both so which would be the best choice?

    Thanks

    Bob
    Bob, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Bob

    Ingeborg Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in news:41386646$0$20253$cc9e4d1f@news-
    text.dial.pipex.com:

    > Just got a new external drive which gives the option of using USB2 or
    > Firewire. My comp has both so which would be the best choice?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bob

    Firewire. It will have a lower processor load while accessing the disk.
    Ingeborg, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Ingeborg" <-> wrote in message news:...
    > "Bob" <> wrote in news:41386646$0$20253$cc9e4d1f@news-
    > text.dial.pipex.com:
    >
    > > Just got a new external drive which gives the option of using USB2 or
    > > Firewire. My comp has both so which would be the best choice?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >

    > Firewire. It will have a lower processor load while accessing the disk.

    Firewall it is, thanks for that.

    Bob
    Bob, Sep 3, 2004
  4. Bob

    Jerry G. Guest

    The firewire is the fastest, and least loading on the system resources!

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Sep 3, 2004
  5. Bob

    Silent Bob. Guest

    actually usb2 is 440 mb from memory while 1394 is 400, but you are right,
    the latency is better and overall id stick with firewire.

    Silent Bob., Sep 3, 2004
  6. Bob

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Silent Bob." <> wrote in news:7Q%Zc.18287$D7.6548@news-
    server.bigpond.net.au:

    > actually usb2 is 440 mb from memory while 1394 is 400, but you are right,
    > the latency is better and overall id stick with firewire.

    USB2 is 480mbit/sec, firewire-400 is 400mbit, but requires much less CPU
    usage.
    Jim Berwick, Sep 3, 2004
  7. On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:40:50 +0100, "Bob" <> wrote:

    >Just got a new external drive which gives the option of using USB2 or
    >Firewire. My comp has both so which would be the best choice?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Bob

    In practical terms it maskes no difference whatsoever.
    Edward W. Thompson, Sep 4, 2004
  8. Bob

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Edward W.
    Thompson <> wrote:

    >>Just got a new external drive which gives the option of using USB2 or
    >>Firewire. My comp has both so which would be the best choice?
    >>

    >In practical terms it maskes no difference whatsoever.

    Sure it makes a difference. The connectors are shaped differently, so
    use whichever cable you have handy, or whichever port you have free.

    :)

    DevilsPGD, Sep 4, 2004
  9. Bob

    Cheryl Guest

    When I used my new usb2 firewire in Ghost I configured it for both, as it is
    both and it worked, do not clone it do ghost image to file( only I am dumb)
    Cheryl

    Cheryl, Sep 4, 2004
  10. Bob

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Cheryl" <>
    wrote:

    >When I used my new usb2 firewire in Ghost I configured it for both, as it is
    >both and it worked, do not clone it do ghost image to file( only I am dumb)

    Hmm, that's actually an interesting point -- Some BIOSes might not
    support booting from USB2 and/or FireWire, and ghost might not either --
    So depending on what you're doing it might matter.

    However, if you're just accessing the drive from Windows as a drive
    letter (extra storage, portable storage, whatever) then either would
    work.

    DevilsPGD, Sep 4, 2004