    protected remove write protection or use another disk' Where can I remove
    write protection. Properties for the disk has nothing and of course every
    file on the disk is protected by the disk level protection. Thanks.
    John Barnes, Sep 28, 2006

  2. John Barnes

    DP Guest

    Are you talking about a thumbdrive type thing?
    I have a very early one I bought long before they became popular. Not a
    known name brand or anything (I think I got it from Cyberguys).
    It has a tiny sliding switch on it that write-protects it. It's easy to
    accidentally slide the switch while pushing it into the USB port or pulling
    it out.
    Seems to me the switch is a neat thing to have. I have a much sleeker
    thumbdrive from Lexar that does not have such a switch.

    Now, if you're talking about something like an external hard drive, that's
    another matter. I just bought a Seagate one that I'm still getting used to
    using. Looks like it has a little hole in the back where you insert
    something to write-protect it. I don't know what you insert since I don't
    think I got such a thing. I'll have to look in the box again to see if I
    missed it.

    DP, Sep 28, 2006

  3. Hi, John - I've heard about people having this sort of problem when the
    drive is NTFS Formated, with FAT, the behavior goes away.

    ???

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 28, 2006
  4. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks. There was nothing external, but I took the case off and found a
    switch that must have reset itself. Guessing it got bumped or dropped.

    John Barnes, Sep 28, 2006
  5. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks Tony, DP had the answer. The write protect prevented me from
    formatting to too.

    John Barnes, Sep 28, 2006
  6. Great to hear. Tell me, though - what kind of device is this? Just so that I
    can remember if I bump into this myself one fine day. I have two pen drives
    and I have ordered a USB Bootable Floppy.

    (Write protect your valuable data - if you can find the switch - and
    invalidate the warranty! What?)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 28, 2006
  7. John Barnes