USB wireless adapters

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by joevan, Aug 24, 2010.

  1. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Are they all about the same or are some really better? I haven't had
    much to test with and thought some here have had the advantage of
    seeing first hand the advantages of one or the other vs. price etc.
     
    joevan, Aug 24, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. joevan

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:48:37 -0400, joevan wrote:

    > Are they all about the same or are some really better? I haven't had
    > much to test with and thought some here have had the advantage of seeing
    > first hand the advantages of one or the other vs. price etc.


    I was fucking around with a Linksys USB wireless 802.11g adapter and even
    though it was connected at 54 mb/s it was dog-ass slow. Can't tell you
    much more about them.



    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
     
    Meat Plow, Aug 24, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. joevan

    Mike Easter Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > Are they all about the same or are some really better?


    Of course they aren't all the same. Don't be silly. The price and
    capability ranges from 'little bitty ones' to great big ones on a
    longish cable with a big antenna of various configurations and a lot of
    gain.

    > I haven't had
    > much to test with and thought some here have had the advantage of
    > seeing first hand the advantages of one or the other vs. price etc.


    Is this usb wireless only supposed to be the equivalent of a cheap
    wireless in a laptop which is missing an internal one (and therefore
    very conveniently portable) or is this usb wireless supposed to be
    *replacing* a LT's built-in cheap wireless for something a lot better
    because of marginal signal problems?


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Aug 24, 2010
    #3
  4. joevan

    Mike Easter Guest

    joevan wrote:
    Subject: USB wireless adapters

    .... also, you started your new message question topic by typing in the
    subject first. Instead, you should start 'composing' your message by
    composing a proper message body first - which message body is made of
    only complete sentences and sufficient background to not be ambiguous -
    result in an ambiguous question.

    Because of starting in the wrong place, your message body is missing
    some essential elements.

    Your message body does not mention USB wireless adapters at all, much
    less properly define unambiguously what your actual question is trying
    to compare or find out.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Aug 24, 2010
    #4
  5. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:04:16 -0700, Mike Easter <>
    wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >Subject: USB wireless adapters
    >
    >... also, you started your new message question topic by typing in the
    >subject first. Instead, you should start 'composing' your message by
    >composing a proper message body first - which message body is made of
    >only complete sentences and sufficient background to not be ambiguous -
    >result in an ambiguous question.
    >
    >Because of starting in the wrong place, your message body is missing
    >some essential elements.
    >
    >Your message body does not mention USB wireless adapters at all, much
    >less properly define unambiguously what your actual question is trying
    >to compare or find out.

    I want to use it on my old desktop. The netgear one I have been using
    was a refurbished one and seems to have lost its umph. It has an
    extender with it which I can use with a new usb unit. I have seen them
    for 30 bucks and some less. Just wondering if I should spend more for
    better connection.

    This one at Newegg for 30 bucks shipped. I guess it is ok but should
    I get something else.

    D-Link DWA-140 USB 2.0 Wireless RangeBooster N USB Adapter
    Item #: N82E16833127244
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
     
    joevan, Aug 24, 2010
    #5
  6. joevan

    Mike Easter Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > Mike Easter


    > I want to use it on my old desktop.


    Why wouldn't the DT be better using wired ethernet? Or by adding a
    wireless nic? Why would you choose USB wireless for the DT?

    I have 2 DT's that I have mounted on 'a roller' which is a computer
    station which can be moved from right here beside me to the kitchen. The
    two towers in the base are connected by KVM to a single monitor, kb,
    mouse on the top surface.

    The kitchen doesn't have a cable. I added a nic to each of the towers to
    supplement their wired ethernet with wireless. Both of the nics have an
    external antenna which is detachable and I can position the detached
    antenna to optimize the signal.

    > The netgear one I have been using
    > was a refurbished one and seems to have lost its umph. It has an
    > extender with it which I can use with a new usb unit. I have seen them
    > for 30 bucks and some less. Just wondering if I should spend more for
    > better connection.


    I'm hearing bits and pieces. There is a netgear wireless of some type
    either USB or a PCI card and you have alluded to something wrong with
    its capabilities, but you haven't defined whether that is because there
    is some kind of problem with the location of the DT vis the access point
    it is trying to get.

    > This one at Newegg for 30 bucks shipped. I guess it is ok but should
    > I get something else.
    >
    > D-Link DWA-140 USB 2.0 Wireless RangeBooster N USB Adapter
    > Item #: N82E16833127244
    > Return Policy: Standard Return Policy


    I don't see why they name it a 'range booster'

    There are 50 reviews at newegg. How many of those have you read? 22% of
    them rated it 3 or below, but the good news is the rest rated it 4 or above.

    It looks to me like a 'regular ol' wireless N usb, which being N is
    probably what they consider 'boost' - but N isn't worth paying more for
    if -1- you don't have an N network and -2- you transmission is going to
    be using G for that or other reasons.

    I like sales as much as the next person, and while newegg calls this a
    $60 device on sale for $30, the only reason it was priced at $60 in the
    past was because there was a time when N adapters were priced higher.
    Nowadays you can find them on sale all over the place.

    Overall, usb wireless works OK. So you could buy it and check it out.

    However, I would be more interested in the results of troubleshooting
    what is wrong with your DT's relationship to its network, why it isn't
    using ethernet, and other more information about whatever the
    undescribed netgear is.

    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Aug 24, 2010
    #6
  7. joevan

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:43:51 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > joevan wrote:
    >> Mike Easter

    >
    >> I want to use it on my old desktop.

    >
    > Why wouldn't the DT be better using wired ethernet? Or by adding a
    > wireless nic? Why would you choose USB wireless for the DT?
    >
    > I have 2 DT's that I have mounted on 'a roller' which is a computer
    > station which can be moved from right here beside me to the kitchen. The
    > two towers in the base are connected by KVM to a single monitor, kb,
    > mouse on the top surface.
    >
    > The kitchen doesn't have a cable. I added a nic to each of the towers to
    > supplement their wired ethernet with wireless. Both of the nics have an
    > external antenna which is detachable and I can position the detached
    > antenna to optimize the signal.
    >
    >> The netgear one I have been using
    >> was a refurbished one and seems to have lost its umph. It has an
    >> extender with it which I can use with a new usb unit. I have seen them
    >> for 30 bucks and some less. Just wondering if I should spend more for
    >> better connection.

    >
    > I'm hearing bits and pieces. There is a netgear wireless of some type
    > either USB or a PCI card and you have alluded to something wrong with
    > its capabilities, but you haven't defined whether that is because there
    > is some kind of problem with the location of the DT vis the access point
    > it is trying to get.
    >
    >> This one at Newegg for 30 bucks shipped. I guess it is ok but should
    >> I get something else.
    >>
    >> D-Link DWA-140 USB 2.0 Wireless RangeBooster N USB Adapter Item #:
    >> N82E16833127244
    >> Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

    >
    > I don't see why they name it a 'range booster'
    >
    > There are 50 reviews at newegg. How many of those have you read? 22% of
    > them rated it 3 or below, but the good news is the rest rated it 4 or
    > above.
    >
    > It looks to me like a 'regular ol' wireless N usb, which being N is
    > probably what they consider 'boost' - but N isn't worth paying more for
    > if -1- you don't have an N network and -2- you transmission is going to
    > be using G for that or other reasons.
    >
    > I like sales as much as the next person, and while newegg calls this a
    > $60 device on sale for $30, the only reason it was priced at $60 in the
    > past was because there was a time when N adapters were priced higher.
    > Nowadays you can find them on sale all over the place.
    >
    > Overall, usb wireless works OK. So you could buy it and check it out.
    >
    > However, I would be more interested in the results of troubleshooting
    > what is wrong with your DT's relationship to its network, why it isn't
    > using ethernet, and other more information about whatever the
    > undescribed netgear is.


    Stop badgering him you petulant fucksnot.



    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
     
    Meat Plow, Aug 24, 2010
    #7
  8. joevan

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 8/24/2010 2:48 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > Are they all about the same or are some really better? I haven't had
    > much to test with and thought some here have had the advantage of
    > seeing first hand the advantages of one or the other vs. price etc.

    Hope the link works: I just bought this one on eBay and it works better
    than the PCI Netgear.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300457912771&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT



    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have
     
    OldGringo38, Aug 24, 2010
    #8
  9. joevan

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 8/24/2010 5:00 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:35:06 -0500, OldGringo38
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/24/2010 2:48 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:
    >>> Are they all about the same or are some really better? I haven't had
    >>> much to test with and thought some here have had the advantage of
    >>> seeing first hand the advantages of one or the other vs. price etc.

    >> Hope the link works: I just bought this one on eBay and it works better
    >> than the PCI Netgear.
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300457912771&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

    > Thanks, I ordered one and will let you know how it works. I guess 9
    > bucks is not leaving much to chance.

    LOL for $9.00 if it don't work you can throw it away or give it to your
    local church thrift store. 2Wire is the equipment issued by AT&T, but
    they charge a hell of a lot more for it. <g>

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have
     
    OldGringo38, Aug 24, 2010
    #9
  10. joevan

    John Holmes Guest

    Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:43:51 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> joevan wrote:
    >>> Mike Easter

    >>
    >>> I want to use it on my old desktop.

    >>
    >> Why wouldn't the DT be better using wired ethernet? Or by adding a
    >> wireless nic? Why would you choose USB wireless for the DT?
    >>
    >> I have 2 DT's that I have mounted on 'a roller' which is a computer
    >> station which can be moved from right here beside me to the kitchen.

    The
    >> two towers in the base are connected by KVM to a single monitor, kb,
    >> mouse on the top surface.
    >>
    >> The kitchen doesn't have a cable. I added a nic to each of the towers

    to
    >> supplement their wired ethernet with wireless. Both of the nics have

    an
    >> external antenna which is detachable and I can position the detached
    >> antenna to optimize the signal.
    >>
    >>> The netgear one I have been using
    >>> was a refurbished one and seems to have lost its umph. It has an
    >>> extender with it which I can use with a new usb unit. I have seen

    them
    >>> for 30 bucks and some less. Just wondering if I should spend more for
    >>> better connection.

    >>
    >> I'm hearing bits and pieces. There is a netgear wireless of some type
    >> either USB or a PCI card and you have alluded to something wrong with
    >> its capabilities, but you haven't defined whether that is because

    there
    >> is some kind of problem with the location of the DT vis the access

    point
    >> it is trying to get.
    >>
    >>> This one at Newegg for 30 bucks shipped. I guess it is ok but

    should
    >>> I get something else.
    >>>
    >>> D-Link DWA-140 USB 2.0 Wireless RangeBooster N USB Adapter Item #:
    >>> N82E16833127244
    >>> Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

    >>
    >> I don't see why they name it a 'range booster'
    >>
    >> There are 50 reviews at newegg. How many of those have you read? 22%

    of
    >> them rated it 3 or below, but the good news is the rest rated it 4 or
    >> above.
    >>
    >> It looks to me like a 'regular ol' wireless N usb, which being N is
    >> probably what they consider 'boost' - but N isn't worth paying more

    for
    >> if -1- you don't have an N network and -2- you transmission is going

    to
    >> be using G for that or other reasons.
    >>
    >> I like sales as much as the next person, and while newegg calls this a
    >> $60 device on sale for $30, the only reason it was priced at $60 in

    the
    >> past was because there was a time when N adapters were priced higher.
    >> Nowadays you can find them on sale all over the place.
    >>
    >> Overall, usb wireless works OK. So you could buy it and check it out.
    >>
    >> However, I would be more interested in the results of troubleshooting
    >> what is wrong with your DT's relationship to its network, why it isn't
    >> using ethernet, and other more information about whatever the
    >> undescribed netgear is.

    >
    > Stop badgering him you petulant fucksnot.
    >
    >
    >


    LOL

    --
    <snip>
     
    John Holmes, Aug 24, 2010
    #10
  11. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:05:34 -0500, OldGringo38
    <> wrote:

    >On 8/24/2010 5:00 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
    >following tidbit of information:
    >> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:35:06 -0500, OldGringo38
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 8/24/2010 2:48 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
    >>> following tidbit of information:
    >>>> Are they all about the same or are some really better? I haven't had
    >>>> much to test with and thought some here have had the advantage of
    >>>> seeing first hand the advantages of one or the other vs. price etc.
    >>> Hope the link works: I just bought this one on eBay and it works better
    >>> than the PCI Netgear.
    >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300457912771&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

    >> Thanks, I ordered one and will let you know how it works. I guess 9
    >> bucks is not leaving much to chance.

    >LOL for $9.00 if it don't work you can throw it away or give it to your
    >local church thrift store. 2Wire is the equipment issued by AT&T, but
    >they charge a hell of a lot more for it. <g>

    Yes I know how those rip us off. I pay a lot for my daughter and I to
    have cell phones. About 100 bucks a month. To leave the contract they
    charge a good bit so we wait a year and then go to a better price. I
    don't like at&tit one bit.
     
    joevan, Aug 24, 2010
    #11
  12. joevan

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 8/24/2010 5:22 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:05:34 -0500, OldGringo38
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/24/2010 5:00 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:
    >>> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:35:06 -0500, OldGringo38
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 8/24/2010 2:48 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
    >>>> following tidbit of information:
    >>>>> Are they all about the same or are some really better? I haven't had
    >>>>> much to test with and thought some here have had the advantage of
    >>>>> seeing first hand the advantages of one or the other vs. price etc.
    >>>> Hope the link works: I just bought this one on eBay and it works better
    >>>> than the PCI Netgear.
    >>>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300457912771&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    >>> Thanks, I ordered one and will let you know how it works. I guess 9
    >>> bucks is not leaving much to chance.

    >> LOL for $9.00 if it don't work you can throw it away or give it to your
    >> local church thrift store. 2Wire is the equipment issued by AT&T, but
    >> they charge a hell of a lot more for it.<g>

    > Yes I know how those rip us off. I pay a lot for my daughter and I to
    > have cell phones. About 100 bucks a month. To leave the contract they
    > charge a good bit so we wait a year and then go to a better price. I
    > don't like at&tit one bit.

    I use AT&T for Internet, TV Satellite, and land line phone service and
    have had no complaints over the years, although I do. <g> Good Luck
    with your 2Wire WiFi USB adapter.

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have
     
    OldGringo38, Aug 25, 2010
    #12
  13. joevan

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:21:59 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

    > Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:43:51 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >>> joevan wrote:
    >>>> Mike Easter
    >>>
    >>>> I want to use it on my old desktop.
    >>>
    >>> Why wouldn't the DT be better using wired ethernet? Or by adding a
    >>> wireless nic? Why would you choose USB wireless for the DT?
    >>>
    >>> I have 2 DT's that I have mounted on 'a roller' which is a computer
    >>> station which can be moved from right here beside me to the kitchen.

    > The
    >>> two towers in the base are connected by KVM to a single monitor, kb,
    >>> mouse on the top surface.
    >>>
    >>> The kitchen doesn't have a cable. I added a nic to each of the towers

    > to
    >>> supplement their wired ethernet with wireless. Both of the nics have

    > an
    >>> external antenna which is detachable and I can position the detached
    >>> antenna to optimize the signal.
    >>>
    >>>> The netgear one I have been using
    >>>> was a refurbished one and seems to have lost its umph. It has an
    >>>> extender with it which I can use with a new usb unit. I have seen

    > them
    >>>> for 30 bucks and some less. Just wondering if I should spend more for
    >>>> better connection.
    >>>
    >>> I'm hearing bits and pieces. There is a netgear wireless of some type
    >>> either USB or a PCI card and you have alluded to something wrong with
    >>> its capabilities, but you haven't defined whether that is because

    > there
    >>> is some kind of problem with the location of the DT vis the access

    > point
    >>> it is trying to get.
    >>>
    >>>> This one at Newegg for 30 bucks shipped. I guess it is ok but

    > should
    >>>> I get something else.
    >>>>
    >>>> D-Link DWA-140 USB 2.0 Wireless RangeBooster N USB Adapter Item #:
    >>>> N82E16833127244
    >>>> Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    >>>
    >>> I don't see why they name it a 'range booster'
    >>>
    >>> There are 50 reviews at newegg. How many of those have you read? 22%

    > of
    >>> them rated it 3 or below, but the good news is the rest rated it 4 or
    >>> above.
    >>>
    >>> It looks to me like a 'regular ol' wireless N usb, which being N is
    >>> probably what they consider 'boost' - but N isn't worth paying more

    > for
    >>> if -1- you don't have an N network and -2- you transmission is going

    > to
    >>> be using G for that or other reasons.
    >>>
    >>> I like sales as much as the next person, and while newegg calls this a
    >>> $60 device on sale for $30, the only reason it was priced at $60 in

    > the
    >>> past was because there was a time when N adapters were priced higher.
    >>> Nowadays you can find them on sale all over the place.
    >>>
    >>> Overall, usb wireless works OK. So you could buy it and check it out.
    >>>
    >>> However, I would be more interested in the results of troubleshooting
    >>> what is wrong with your DT's relationship to its network, why it isn't
    >>> using ethernet, and other more information about whatever the
    >>> undescribed netgear is.

    >>
    >> Stop badgering him you petulant fucksnot.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > LOL


    Don't you just fucking hate that? It really irks me when someone starts
    out helping someone and then goes wildly off in another tangent in a very
    demeaning and condescending rant. If you're going to flame someone don't
    do it politely just do it.



    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
     
    Meat Plow, Aug 25, 2010
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Drummerboy

    BT Voyager USB wireless network adapters.

    Drummerboy, Jan 30, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    482
    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hhcmNvbw==?=
    Feb 11, 2005
  2. =?Utf-8?B?U0E0MDU=?=

    USB Wireless Adapters compatible with Win CE 2.0

    =?Utf-8?B?U0E0MDU=?=, May 28, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    602
    Pavel A.
    May 28, 2005
  3. samul888@vip.163.com
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    845
    samul888@vip.163.com
    Nov 10, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?R2FsZW4=?=

    USB Wireless Adapters for Win x64

    =?Utf-8?B?R2FsZW4=?=, Aug 12, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    365
    Charlie Russel - MVP
    Aug 14, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?R2FsZW4=?=

    Wireless USB Adapters: A Probable List Of Supported Brands

    =?Utf-8?B?R2FsZW4=?=, Sep 27, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,676
    Mirko
    Sep 28, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page