    not, and I have to use a USB cord. The USB one only connects at 200 and
    the ethernet connects at 500. Is this a ethernet vs. USB issue or
    something else?

    CL B, Jan 25, 2008

  2. CL B

    - Bobb - Guest

    "CL B" <> wrote in message
    news:eFcmj.2716$...
    > One of my computers has the ethernet cable connection. My other one
    > does
    > not, and I have to use a USB cord. The USB one only connects at 200
    > and
    > the ethernet connects at 500. Is this a ethernet vs. USB issue or
    > something else?

    200 ? 500 ? where do you see that ? Network connections ? I would expect
    "3mbps" for cable or "12mbps" for DSL etc . Do you have a network icon in
    lower right tray ? hover over it - it should show connection speed. In
    general, on a good day DSL connects at 12.

    Before doing a LOT of troubleshooting, whenever you have network issues,
    first shutdown the PC and then POWER off the DSL / cable box ( at the AC
    switch), or unplug the AC. Wait 30 seconds. Power up the DSL box and then
    reboot the PC. That will establish a "new connection" to your ISP and
    maybe clean up a connection that "had static on it". Like when you call
    someone and "get a lousy connection" - calling them back usually gets a
    "good connection". MY neighbors with DSL occasionally complain to me about
    the slowness of their PC - that always fixes it. If it doesn't ...
    Can you plug the "slow PC" into the DSL cable modem - use the USB cable -
    same speed ?
    Did you need to install DSL CD ? If so, you'll need to do that first on
    the second PC to compare.

    Before / after go to www.dslreports.com or www.speakeasy.net and run
    speedtest.

    Check your ISP's page/your paperwork for info on your model DSL modem. If
    it's really old maybe "that as fast as it can go". ( for instance my
    nephew got a cable modem years ago and it only can transmit at 3mbs max -
    even though cable these days CAN go faster.)

    - Bobb -, Jan 25, 2008

  3. CL B

    Paul Guest

    CL B wrote:
    > One of my computers has the ethernet cable connection. My other one does
    > not, and I have to use a USB cord. The USB one only connects at 200 and
    > the ethernet connects at 500. Is this a ethernet vs. USB issue or
    > something else?

    If you connect a router box, then more than one computer can be using
    Ethernet. Then you won't need to use the USB one.

    For example, here is one on Ebay for $10 + $12 shipping.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/D-Link-4-Port-B...ryZ20323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Connect it like this. Then any single computer can get 500 or whatever.

    Internet ----> cable or ADSL ----> cheap wired router box
    modem | | | |
    v v v v
    Up to four wired computers
    have their own Ethernet connection

    Another example here for $35:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16833127091

    Download and read the manual first, to understand what you are getting,
    and to prepare for when you get it. It takes about a week of tinkering
    to do all the necessary little things (like make it as secure as possible).
    Don't forget to change the password when you get it, and write the
    password on a sticky, and stick it to the router.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 25, 2008
  4. CL B

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fncmvk$jgi$...
    > CL B wrote:
    >> One of my computers has the ethernet cable connection. My other one
    >> does
    >> not, and I have to use a USB cord. The USB one only connects at 200
    >> and
    >> the ethernet connects at 500. Is this a ethernet vs. USB issue or
    >> something else?

    > If you connect a router box, then more than one computer can be using
    > Ethernet. Then you won't need to use the USB one.

    But he said that the USB box does not HAVE a rj45 network connection -
    that's why DSL.

    - Bobb -, Jan 25, 2008
  5. CL B

    Paul Guest

    CL B wrote:
    > One of my computers has the ethernet cable connection. My other one does
    > not, and I have to use a USB cord. The USB one only connects at 200 and
    > the ethernet connects at 500. Is this a ethernet vs. USB issue or
    > something else?

    OK, so what is this "USB only" computer ? Does it have a
    make and model number ? Sounds like a Macbook Air or something.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 25, 2008
  6. CL B

    Baron Guest

    CL B wrote:

    > One of my computers has the ethernet cable connection. My other one
    > does
    > not, and I have to use a USB cord. The USB one only connects at 200
    > and
    > the ethernet connects at 500. Is this a ethernet vs. USB issue or
    > something else?

    Ethernet will always blow USB away in terms of speed. Put a network
    card in the other PC. You should be able to pick one up for $10.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Jan 25, 2008