USB VOIP adaptors

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Fred, Oct 30, 2008.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I bought one of these USB VOIP adaptors on e-bay

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Dect-VoIP...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

    It states in the ad:
    Fully Compatible with all Voip applications including: Voip Cheap,
    Voip Buster,Skype, MSN, net2phone, icq, etc

    I took that to mean it should work on SMSlisto.
    Well, it doesn't. It only works on Skype, Voipcheap (.com and .co.uk),
    voipbuster, Poivy and a few others.
    I was hoping it would be configurable to any provider

    The seller did offer a refund if it didn't do what I wanted - so no
    complaints.
    I checked it on Poivy by subscribing, but without putting money in
    (for <1minute free calls). It is fine.

    I checked the manufacturer's web site and got the latest driver which
    I think just had a couple more Betamax services on.

    I was hoping it would be configurable to any provider.

    An e-mail to the manufacturer received no reply.

    Has anybody got any idea if it can be made to play on SMSlisto ???

    Handy Betamax price comparison site:
    http://backsla.sh/betamax

    Thanks,
    Fred
    Fred, Oct 30, 2008

  2. Fred

    Graham. Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message

    > I bought one of these USB VOIP adaptors on e-bay
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Dect-VoIP...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    >
    > It states in the ad:
    > Fully Compatible with all Voip applications including: Voip Cheap,
    > Voip Buster,Skype, MSN, net2phone, icq, etc
    >
    > I took that to mean it should work on SMSlisto.
    > Well, it doesn't. It only works on Skype, Voipcheap (.com and .co.uk),
    > voipbuster, Poivy and a few others.
    > I was hoping it would be configurable to any provider
    >
    > The seller did offer a refund if it didn't do what I wanted - so no
    > complaints.
    > I checked it on Poivy by subscribing, but without putting money in
    > (for <1minute free calls). It is fine.
    >
    > I checked the manufacturer's web site and got the latest driver which
    > I think just had a couple more Betamax services on.
    >
    > I was hoping it would be configurable to any provider.
    >
    > An e-mail to the manufacturer received no reply.
    >
    > Has anybody got any idea if it can be made to play on SMSlisto ???
    >
    > Handy Betamax price comparison site:
    > http://backsla.sh/betamax
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Fred

    This device appears to me to be simply a USB sound "card"
    that feeds a telephone interface instead of a simple headset,
    so it will not be SIP or any other protocol aware.
    I am just wondering how it passes the dialled digits to VoIP
    I suppose it is in-band DTMF, do different Betamax products
    support different DTMF signalling types? Somehow I doubt it.

    I see little point in having a device where you need a computer
    with a soft-phone running.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Oct 30, 2008

  3. Fred

    theFug Guest

    On 30 okt, 20:52, "Graham." <> wrote:
    > "Fred" <> wrote in message

    > > I bought one of these USB VOIP adaptors on e-bay

    > >http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Dect-VoIP-Skype-Box-ATA-Internet-Phone-RJ11...

    > > It states in the ad:
    > > Fully Compatible with all Voip applications including: Voip Cheap,
    > > Voip Buster,Skype, MSN, net2phone, icq, etc

    > > I took that to mean it should work on SMSlisto.
    > > Well, it doesn't. It only works on Skype, Voipcheap (.com and .co.uk),
    > > voipbuster, Poivy and a few others.
    > > I was hoping it would be configurable to any provider

    > > The seller did offer a refund if it didn't do what I wanted - so no
    > > complaints.
    > > I checked it on Poivy by subscribing, but without putting money in
    > > (for <1minute free calls). It is fine.

    > > I checked the manufacturer's web site and got the latest driver which
    > > I think just had a couple more Betamax services on.

    > > I was hoping it would be configurable to any provider.

    > > An e-mail to the manufacturer received no reply.

    > > Has anybody got any idea if it can be made to play on SMSlisto ???

    > > Handy Betamax price comparison site:
    > >http://backsla.sh/betamax

    > > Thanks,
    > > Fred

    > This device appears to me to be simply a USB sound "card"
    > that feeds a telephone interface instead of a simple headset,
    > so it will not be SIP or any other protocol aware.
    > I am just wondering how it passes the dialled digits to VoIP
    > I suppose it is in-band DTMF, do different Betamax products
    > support different DTMF signalling types? Somehow I doubt it.
    >
    > I see little point in having a device where you need a computer
    > with a soft-phone running.
    >
    > --
    > Graham.
    >
    > %Profound_observation%

    For eaz of use you should buy a Dect IP option like a C450IP from
    Siemens,
    or better, the 301 D , it has many options, Messenger, RSS feeds, SMS,
    (net) voice-mail,
    and email notification, 70 euro's (base station only) (Siemens)

    The only good function of a USB phone is, that it doesn't block your
    music sound, to your active speakers, of your PC,
    because it could be that when you plug in an simple audio-wired head
    set, it cuts of the sound to connected speakers...
    theFug, Nov 1, 2008