    Think it's called a USB 1.

    BTW: old PC has W98, new one would have XP

    Bob
    Robert11, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Brian Guest

    "Robert11" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Realize this can only be a true guestimate, bu can anyone
    > please offer an opinion as to approx. how long it might take
    > to transfer, e.g., 1 GB of text files from an old PC to a new
    > one.
    >
    > Would be using the old USB type port (which is all the 5 yr old PC has).
    > Think it's called a USB 1.
    >
    > BTW: old PC has W98, new one would have XP
    >
    > Bob

    at the best around 11 mins
    Brian, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    | Hi,
    |
    | Realize this can only be a true guestimate, bu can anyone
    | please offer an opinion as to approx. how long it might take
    | to transfer, e.g., 1 GB of text files from an old PC to a new
    | one.
    |
    | Would be using the old USB type port (which is all the 5 yr old PC has).
    | Think it's called a USB 1.
    |
    | BTW: old PC has W98, new one would have XP

    You do realize you need a custom cable for that? You might find it less
    expensive to put a NIC in each system (the new one probably already has a
    10/100 ethernet NIC), and connect them with a crossover cable. I buy NICS
    for less than $10, and cables less than $5.

    Or, do the job for free: take the hard drive out of the old PC, and put it
    in the new one. For a data transfer, the simplest is to unplug the power and
    data cables from the CD-ROM and plug the old drive into those instead. (You
    don't have to play with the jumpers that way.) After it's done just plug the
    CD-ROM back in. (Of course, all of this MUST be done with the power off...)
    Toolman Tim, Nov 9, 2004