USB to Parallel

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian H¹©, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Stuart said:

    > If I connect my Parrallel Zip drive to the USB port via a usb to parrallel
    > cable converter will the zip drive then operate at USB speed?

    Ask yourself this question, if I have a 56K modem on my system and I connect to
    a site that has a 1MB cable modem, will I be able to download at cable speed?
    Or will I be restricted to the speed of the slower equipment?

    Brian H¹©, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Brian H¹©

    Stuart Guest

    Stuart, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Brian H¹©

    °Mike° Guest

    USB to parallel cables are for printers, not Zip drives.

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:45:13 -0000, in
    <c0oh9s$h5q$>
    Stuart scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Brian H¹©

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Stuart posted ...

    > If I connect my Parrallel Zip drive to the USB port via a usb to
    > parrallel cable converter will the zip drive then operate at USB
    > speed?

    I doubt the Zip drive would work at all ..

    --
    Paul

    Paul - xxx, Feb 15, 2004
  5. Brian H¹©

    bright Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > USB to parallel cables are for printers, not Zip drives.

    I think Mike's wrong (Mike don't fret there is always a first time), D-link
    makes a USB to a DB25 parallel connector (mod # DSB-S25) for older parallel
    devices. Apparently there is a conversion circuit housed in the in
    connector.
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=160

    >If I connect my Parallel Zip drive to the USB port via a USB to parallel
    >cable converter will the zip drive then operate at USB speed?

    Not likely, since the drive's communications circuitry is designed to match
    the speed of the port. So, I can't imagine any significant gain being made.
    Perhaps D-Link could give you a better idea. BTW, there are lots of USB to
    Centrex (printer type connector) available out there but these won't work
    for you...

    br1ght

    bright, Feb 15, 2004
  6. Brian H¹©

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:33:03 -0600, in
    <dARXb.3606$>
    "bright" <nitrox_frogy[spamscrew]@yahoo.com> scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> USB to parallel cables are for printers, not Zip drives.
    >>

    >I think Mike's wrong (Mike don't fret there is always a first time), D-link
    >makes a USB to a DB25 parallel connector (mod # DSB-S25) for older parallel
    >devices. Apparently there is a conversion circuit housed in the in
    >connector.
    >http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=160

    1. That is a USB to SERIAL connector.
    2. I *know* there are USB to parallel cables available.
    I never said otherwise.
    3. Just because USB to parallel cables are available, doesn't
    mean that a parallel Zip drive will work on it.
    4. The usual use for such a cable is to free up the parallel
    port for devices that need them, such as parallel Zip
    drives.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 15, 2004
  7. Brian H¹©

    bright Guest

    > 1. That is a USB to SERIAL connector.
    > 2. I *know* there are USB to parallel cables available.
    > I never said otherwise.
    > 3. Just because USB to parallel cables are available, doesn't
    > mean that a parallel Zip drive will work on it.
    > 4. The usual use for such a cable is to free up the parallel
    > port for devices that need them, such as parallel Zip
    > drives.
    >
    > <snip>

    Wiping the sleep out of my eyes,

    Mike's right!

    bright, Feb 15, 2004
  8. Brian H¹©

    pcbutts1 Guest

    No!

    pcbutts1, Feb 15, 2004
  9. Brian H¹©

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:15:31 -0600, in
    <j4TXb.3620$>
    "bright" <nitrox_frogy[spamscrew]@yahoo.com> scrawled:

    >> 1. That is a USB to SERIAL connector.
    >> 2. I *know* there are USB to parallel cables available.
    >> I never said otherwise.
    >> 3. Just because USB to parallel cables are available, doesn't
    >> mean that a parallel Zip drive will work on it.
    >> 4. The usual use for such a cable is to free up the parallel
    >> port for devices that need them, such as parallel Zip
    >> drives.
    >>
    >> <snip>

    >Wiping the sleep out of my eyes,
    >
    >Mike's right!

    :)

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 15, 2004
  10. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:48:23 +0000, °Mike°
    <> wrote:
    >1. That is a USB to SERIAL connector.

    That's certainly explain the 's' in the modal #....

    >2. I *know* there are USB to parallel cables available.
    > I never said otherwise.
    >3. Just because USB to parallel cables are available, doesn't
    > mean that a parallel Zip drive will work on it.

    Likewise, just because you have a USB Parallel printer cable,
    doesn't mean it'll work on your printer. I had a friend call a
    company and they said it only works if your printer supports being
    hooked up via USB parallel cables.... My guess is it'd have to do
    with if the printer driver tries to directly write to the printer port
    or not....

    John H. Guillory, Feb 16, 2004