usb to ethernet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by johnski, Aug 10, 2003.

  1. johnski

    johnski Guest

    Hi people

    I've got a notebook running Win XP Home connected to cable modem via linksys
    wireless router.

    I used to have a desktop PC connected with file and print sharing, so I
    could print from the notebook. The printer was connected to the desktop PC
    via USB.

    All was happy with the world :)

    I sold the desktop PC, so no more printer sharing :( If I want to print, I
    have to phsically connect the printer to the notebook.

    Is there a converter or something that will allow me to connect the usb
    printer (Lexmark X74/75) to the router?

    All I can find when I google is a ethernet to usb adapter.

    Many thanks

    --
    john
    johnski, Aug 10, 2003

  2. "johnski" <> wrote in message
    > Hi people
    >
    > I've got a notebook running Win XP Home connected to cable modem via

    linksys
    > wireless router.
    >
    > I used to have a desktop PC connected with file and print sharing, so I
    > could print from the notebook. The printer was connected to the desktop PC
    > via USB.
    >
    > All was happy with the world :)
    >
    > I sold the desktop PC, so no more printer sharing :( If I want to print, I
    > have to phsically connect the printer to the notebook.
    >
    > Is there a converter or something that will allow me to connect the usb
    > printer (Lexmark X74/75) to the router?
    >
    > All I can find when I google is a ethernet to usb adapter.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > --
    > john

    I believe that you need a router that has a usb port specifically for the
    printer.

    Here's a link to one that has one. Keep in mind this isn't a recommendation
    for this router (I've never used), but it was the first one I found online
    :)

    http://www.surecom-net.com/pd-broadband-4904sx.htm
    Sentient Fluid, Aug 10, 2003

  3. johnski

    Jj Guest

    "johnski" <> wrote in

    > Hi people
    >
    > I've got a notebook running Win XP Home connected to cable modem via
    > linksys wireless router.
    >
    > I used to have a desktop PC connected with file and print sharing, so
    > I could print from the notebook. The printer was connected to the
    > desktop PC via USB.
    >
    > All was happy with the world :)
    >
    > I sold the desktop PC, so no more printer sharing :( If I want to
    > print, I have to phsically connect the printer to the notebook.
    >
    > Is there a converter or something that will allow me to connect the
    > usb printer (Lexmark X74/75) to the router?
    >
    > All I can find when I google is a ethernet to usb adapter.
    >
    > Many thanks

    You cant do it with just cables and converters, as something needs to
    control the usb device. You could get a network print server with a usb
    port, which is overkill for home use really. Something like this:
    http://www.d-link.com/products/?pid=166
    Other options:
    get a network printer
    get a wireless network printer
    get a second hand desktop to be a server
    get a wireless router with a printer port on (these all seem to be
    parallel ports)
    get a bluetooth widget to make the printer wireless:
    http://www.11wave.com/main/product/bluetooth_printer.htm
    -which isn't much of a solution unless your notebook has bluetooth.

    more print servers:
    http://www.sercomm.com.tw/PS.htm
    Jj, Aug 10, 2003
  4. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:bh6c5g$v1gb7$-berlin.de,
    johnski <> typed
    || Hi people
    || I've got a notebook running Win XP Home connected to cable modem via
    || linksys wireless router.
    || I used to have a desktop PC connected with file and print sharing,
    || so I could print from the notebook. The printer was connected to the
    || desktop PC via USB.
    || All was happy with the world :)
    || I sold the desktop PC, so no more printer sharing :( If I want to
    || print, I have to phsically connect the printer to the notebook.
    || Is there a converter or something that will allow me to connect the
    || usb printer (Lexmark X74/75) to the router?
    || All I can find when I google is a ethernet to usb adapter.
    || Many thanks
    || --
    || john

    Is this what you're looking for?

    http://tinyurl.com/jlji

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.
    Robert de Brus, Aug 10, 2003