    in windows. any one have an idea how I could format it back? when i plug it
    in, i cant seem to format it with windows. even during windows installation
    i cant do it.

    nuthead, Jan 6, 2004

  2. nuthead

    gigajosh Guest

    What version of Windows are you trying to format with?

    What happens when you try to format?

    "nuthead" <> wrote in message
    > ok, when i install linux, i have the usb drive in the computer, and i
    > unintentionally format it (i think its linux native), and now i cant use

    it

    gigajosh, Jan 6, 2004

  3. nuthead

    nuthead Guest

    xp pro.
    "Windows was unable to complete the format."

    nuthead, Jan 7, 2004
  4. nuthead

    gigajosh Guest

    If you have access to other versions of windows, then i'd suggest trying to
    format it elseware.
    Otherwise, can you take it back to the shop on guarantee and just say it's
    screwed up and you don't know why?

    gigajosh, Jan 7, 2004
  5. nuthead

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 07:43:54 GMT, "nuthead" <> wrote:

    >ok, when i install linux, i have the usb drive in the computer, and i
    >unintentionally format it (i think its linux native), and now i cant use it
    >in windows. any one have an idea how I could format it back? when i plug it
    >in, i cant seem to format it with windows. even during windows installation
    >i cant do it.

    The directions that come with the thumb drives specifically state "Please DO
    NOT FORMAT the device on your computer to avoid any changes to the
    specifications". The operating system for the drive are ON the drive and
    formatting destroys the OS.

    If you purchased it recently, try returning it. Otherwise, try the
    manufacturers web site and see if they have a fix. If not, try their contact
    page and request help in repairing it.

    Unk, Jan 7, 2004
  6. nuthead

    gigajosh Guest

    shit a brick!
    I've already formatted my Sony 256 thumb drive... Didn't seem to harm it
    tho. It works fine on 2k and XP.
    I formated it from FAT16 to NTFS.

    :)

    gigajosh, Jan 8, 2004
  7. nuthead

    Unk Guest

    Thanks, that's nice to know. I have the same drive and I wanted to format it
    in NTFS also, but that warning kept putting me off. Interestingly enough,
    NTSF isn't an option in the format window.

    Unk, Jan 8, 2004
  8. nuthead

    nuthead Guest

    I assume this thing can be formatted and can still be used.

    The reason i cant format is in linux setup, i want to format it as FAT/NTFS,
    but it says it wants a linux native

    when i go into xp setup and format it, it refuses because it says that its
    not enough space

    when i go into windows and format it from my computer it says it cannot
    format, likely to be the reason that windows, or should i say...bill gates,
    does not want linux partition/drives to be recognize (even with the linux
    partition i have on the same hd as windows.

    nuthead, Jan 10, 2004
  9. nuthead

    Zermut Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:52:54 GMT, "nuthead" <> picked a
    plump bugger and in sanskrit smeared the following cryptic message:

    >I assume this thing can be formatted and can still be used.
    >
    >The reason i cant format is in linux setup, i want to format it as FAT/NTFS,
    >but it says it wants a linux native
    >
    >when i go into xp setup and format it, it refuses because it says that its
    >not enough space

    Your thumb drive should be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 as that is what
    it uses. NTFS will not work since it needs more than what you have
    (256 megs), You need like 1 gig to allow NTFS to format it. If it is
    256 meg, you are out of luck.

    I have a memory card reader for my digital camera and only have a 64
    meg memory card and I tried formatting the card using NTFS, but no
    go. Don't do it or you will destroy your thumb drive.

    Zermut

    Zermut, Jan 10, 2004
  10. nuthead

    gigajosh Guest

    Are we talking about the same thing here :?

    I have a Sony thumb drive. I have formatted it with NTFS. It is NOT 1GB, it
    is 256 MB. It works fine.... OK? :)

    gigajosh, Jan 12, 2004
  11. nuthead

    gigajosh Guest

    Listen nuthead,

    This is worth a shot:

    Follow the link below. At the bottom of the page is software for formatting
    the Sony USB2.0 thumb drive. If your thumb drive is USB2.0, this will almost
    certainly do no harm, and may solve your formatting problem.
    If you've got a USB1.0 drive.... give it a try anyway. I can't see it making
    things any worse than they already are.

    My advice is give it a try either way :) Let us know how you got on.

    http://www.sony.net/Products/Media/Microvault/3-1b.html

    gigajosh, Jan 12, 2004
  12. nuthead

    wooly

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    i have a 1gig pen drive when i try useing it I got this error message : "USB Device not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."on my computer, so i try another computer got the same error message.i find this link but not sure if would help for my problem?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817900 let me know plzz

    wooly, Oct 12, 2006