    Any way to have a phone/tablet use a PC's broadband network for
    mail/internet when not in cell phone range ? I have a Samsung tab and can
    share ITS connection, but how to do it in reverse ?

    - Bobb -, Oct 14, 2011

  2. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > Any way to have a phone/tablet use a PC's broadband network for
    > mail/internet when not in cell phone range ? I have a Samsung tab and can
    > share ITS connection, but how to do it in reverse ?

    To make this more fun, you should have provided the exact model number of
    the Samsung machine, so we can get some specs.

    *******

    A general way of setting up daisy chained networks, is ICS or
    Internet Connection Sharing. That's mentioned here.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-network/b09b28a6-0673-4714-bbe0-845f014eb94f

    But as a "hardware guy", I'd try to get an Ethernet connection instead.
    Either the machine has an RJ-45 Ethernet connector on it, or you can
    add one. With a wired connection, you get consistent performance,
    limited only by your ISP/broadband characteristics.

    If the device didn't have an RJ-45 connector, this kind of thing
    converts USB2 to LAN. Obviously, this only works, if the OS is designed
    to recognize the "USB Class" of the device. Some OSes have a driver
    built-in for it, while in other cases, you'd need to install a driver.
    But you wouldn't reach for one of these, unless you absolutely needed it.
    Perhaps you can set up a Bluetooth PAN instead (with lower bandwidth limit).

    http://www.amazon.com/USB-Ethernet-...HNJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318631351&sr=8-1

    *******

    I can't comment on your Wireless options until you give a model number.
    And likely one of the other posters here will have a better answer, because
    I'm pretty weak on wireless tech.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 14, 2011

  3. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Sorry about that. Model info:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/SCH-I800BKAVZW

    Connectivity
    WiFi 802.11 b/g/n

    USB 2.0 Universal Serial Bus. Common hardware interface standard for
    connecting peripherals to a computer.

    Bluetooth 3.0 Connectivity Short range wireless technology that
    enables fixed and mobile devices to exchange data. EDR is high-speed.

    ================

    - Bobb -, Oct 15, 2011
  4. Jeff Strickland, Oct 15, 2011
  5. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    >> Sorry about that. Model info:
    >> http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/SCH-I800BKAVZW
    >>
    >> Connectivity
    >> WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
    >>

    > Here's the answer. WiFi.

    That's likely to be the least painful way.

    *******
    Network

    Frequencies and Data Type CDMA 800/1900

    Connectivity

    WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
    USB USB 2.0
    Bluetooth Bluetooth 3.0 Connectivity EDR
    *******

    The "CDMA" thing, is how the tablet would connect to Verizon or ATT
    or the like, directly. Some of those kinds of services, have relatively
    low data caps, which is why you might want to try other options.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_division_multiple_access

    For Wifi, you'd want the broadband modem/router already in your
    house, to have a Wifi option. Then, it's a matter of setting
    up the Tablet, to use Wifi instead of CDMA (which could be easy
    or it could be hard, depending on who's been modifying the tablet).

    Bluetooth, would require a Bluetooth interface on some other computing
    device. It's possible for Bluetooth to set up a "Personal Area Network"
    or PAN, which allows like-minded computers to talk to one another at
    low rates, when they're a few feet from one another. You'd check the
    user manual, to see whether setting up a PAN is at all possible. Sometimes,
    the intention of the Bluetooth, is for setting up Bluetooth headphones,
    more than anything else.

    Finally, if a person got really really desperate, using a USB to LAN
    adapter is another thing you could try. The question would be,
    whether the Android OS is prepared to "entertain" such hardware
    or not. It might simply choose to ignore it. If it worked, you
    could just run an Ethernet wire from one of these, to the router.

    You can see in the review section for this USB2 to LAN adapter, the
    reviews are full of "driver issues" and "crashes". And seeing as you
    want to use it on Android, what are the odds a driver exists for it ?
    Maybe this would be in the "glutton for punishment" category, pay $20
    or so, and be "endlessly entertained with problems". You would have to
    select one of these, particularly carefully... Stick with Wifi to start.

    http://www.amazon.com/USB-Ethernet-...HNJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318631351&sr=8-1

    Companies that make LAN networking components, do a lot of work to make
    drivers for their products. LAN chips have some of the most extensive
    coverage of OSes, of all hardware you can buy. But still, expecting
    an Android driver, would be expecting a lot. It would be less of an
    issue, if the USB2 to LAN thing was standardized enough to just
    "work out of the box" with a USB Class (OS provided) driver.

    (This is an example of how the USB standards people, try to make
    USB to LAN work in a standards based way... But that doesn't guarantee
    that every OS has built-in support. It takes a long time, if ever,
    to get built-in drivers for this stuff.)

    http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/CDC_EEM10.pdf

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 15, 2011
  6. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >>> Sorry about that. Model info:
    >>> http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/SCH-I800BKAVZW
    >>>
    >>> Connectivity
    >>> WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
    >>>

    >> Here's the answer. WiFi.

    > That's likely to be the least painful way.
    >
    > *******
    > Network
    >
    > Frequencies and Data Type CDMA 800/1900
    >
    > Connectivity
    >
    > WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
    > USB USB 2.0
    > Bluetooth Bluetooth 3.0 Connectivity EDR
    > *******
    >
    > The "CDMA" thing, is how the tablet would connect to Verizon or ATT
    > or the like, directly. Some of those kinds of services, have relatively
    > low data caps, which is why you might want to try other options.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_division_multiple_access
    >
    > For Wifi, you'd want the broadband modem/router already in your
    > house, to have a Wifi option. Then, it's a matter of setting
    > up the Tablet, to use Wifi instead of CDMA (which could be easy
    > or it could be hard, depending on who's been modifying the tablet).

    I thought the question was, how to connect when cell is out of range. I'm
    not sure how that could ever happen and still have WiFi, but if there is
    WiFi, then that is how to connect. All one needs is a wireless router, the
    tablet already has the wireless receiver -- that's what WiFi is. Buy the
    router, unplug the computer from the CAT5 connection and plug that into the
    goes-into port of the router. Select any of the goes-out-of ports and
    connect a CAT5 from there to the computer where the first CAT5 came from.
    Now, set up the router, and now connect with the tablet.

    None of the other stuff matters...

    Jeff Strickland, Oct 15, 2011