    Frank

    --
    =========

    frankg, Jan 10, 2006

  2. frankg

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:57:23 -0500, "frankg"
    <> wrote:

    >I want to get a 7 port USB hub that has ac and supplies power to the ports -
    >some rate their units at 500mA per port (I guess milliamps) and others 480
    >Mbps - what do these mean or which is the better rating?

    Milliamps tells you, how much power the port is able to supply.
    Not important if you want to connect, say a mouse or an USB
    stick, but rather important if you want to connect an external
    harddisk (without it's own powersupply) or a bus-powered scanner.
    (500 mA should be enough for most USB devices)

    480 Mbps tells you how fast the device will operate.
    Or better, upto what speeds the hub supports your peripherals.
    480 Mbps is the highest speed you can get out of USB 2.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Jan 10, 2006

  3. frankg

    frankg Guest

    >>I want to get a 7 port USB hub that has ac and supplies power to the
    >>ports -
    >>some rate their units at 500mA per port (I guess milliamps) and others 480
    >>Mbps - what do these mean or which is the better rating?

    > Milliamps tells you, how much power the port is able to supply.
    > Not important if you want to connect, say a mouse or an USB
    > stick, but rather important if you want to connect an external
    > harddisk (without it's own powersupply) or a bus-powered scanner.
    > (500 mA should be enough for most USB devices)
    >
    > 480 Mbps tells you how fast the device will operate.
    > Or better, upto what speeds the hub supports your peripherals.
    > 480 Mbps is the highest speed you can get out of USB 2.
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    > Gerard Bok

    Thank you for this - very helpful