    Frank

    --
    =========

    frankg, Jan 10, 2006

  2. frankg

    frankg Guest

    I should have added that I have a 450W PSU

    frankg, Jan 10, 2006

  3. frankg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in message
    >I want to get a 7 port USB hub that has ac and supplies power to the
    >ports - some rate their units at 500mA per port (I guess milliamps) and
    >others 480 Mbps - what do these mean or which is the better rating? Hub
    >recommendations welcome too.

    Frank, yes mA is milliamps. That is how much power can be supplied to the
    ports. Many peripherals (mice, memory card readers, etc.) need power
    supplied by the USB cable since they don't have their own power connectors
    (like most printers, scanners, CD drives, etc.) 500mA is the maximum support
    power per port rating under the USB specifications.

    480Mbps is the speed of data transmission (which is USB 2.0 as opposed to
    USB 1.1) which is the highest in the USB specifications.

    Hub recommendations: don't buy cheap. Spend a little extra for a good name
    brand with a good warranty. I've bought cheap ones. And they are just that -
    cheap crap that don't last very long under constant use of removing and
    attaching devices, moving cables, etc.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 10, 2006
  4. frankg

    frankg Guest

    >>I want to get a 7 port USB hub that has ac and supplies power to the
    >>ports - some rate their units at 500mA per port (I guess milliamps) and
    >>others 480 Mbps - what do these mean or which is the better rating? Hub
    >>recommendations welcome too.
    >>

    > Frank, yes mA is milliamps. That is how much power can be supplied to the
    > ports. Many peripherals (mice, memory card readers, etc.) need power
    > supplied by the USB cable since they don't have their own power connectors
    > (like most printers, scanners, CD drives, etc.) 500mA is the maximum
    > support power per port rating under the USB specifications.
    >
    > 480Mbps is the speed of data transmission (which is USB 2.0 as opposed to
    > USB 1.1) which is the highest in the USB specifications.
    >
    > Hub recommendations: don't buy cheap. Spend a little extra for a good name
    > brand with a good warranty. I've bought cheap ones. And they are just
    > that - cheap crap that don't last very long under constant use of removing
    > and attaching devices, moving cables, etc.

    Thanks for this info - very helpful.
    I wouldnt know one brand from another - do any of these mean anything to
    you, regarding quality - "SMC" "Cables To Go" "D-link"

    frankg, Jan 10, 2006
  5. frankg

    PJB Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in message
    > I want to get a 7 port USB hub that has ac and supplies power to the

    ports -
    > some rate their units at 500mA per port (I guess milliamps) and others 480
    > Mbps - what do these mean or which is the better rating? Hub

    recommendations
    > welcome too.

    500mA is the current rating that each port can handle (500mA is typical),
    480Mbps is the SPEED of transmission that each port can handle.

    P.

    PJB, Jan 10, 2006
  6. frankg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:55Twf.6846$,
    frankg spewed forth:
    >>> I want to get a 7 port USB hub that has ac and supplies power to the
    >>> ports - some rate their units at 500mA per port (I guess milliamps)
    >>> and others 480 Mbps - what do these mean or which is the better
    >>> rating? Hub recommendations welcome too.
    >>>

    >> Frank, yes mA is milliamps. That is how much power can be supplied
    >> to the ports. Many peripherals (mice, memory card readers, etc.)
    >> need power supplied by the USB cable since they don't have their own
    >> power connectors (like most printers, scanners, CD drives, etc.)
    >> 500mA is the maximum support power per port rating under the USB
    >> specifications. 480Mbps is the speed of data transmission (which is USB
    >> 2.0 as
    >> opposed to USB 1.1) which is the highest in the USB specifications.
    >>
    >> Hub recommendations: don't buy cheap. Spend a little extra for a
    >> good name brand with a good warranty. I've bought cheap ones. And
    >> they are just that - cheap crap that don't last very long under
    >> constant use of removing and attaching devices, moving cables, etc.
    >>

    > Thanks for this info - very helpful.
    > I wouldnt know one brand from another - do any of these mean anything
    > to you, regarding quality - "SMC" "Cables To Go" "D-link"

    D-Link and SMC are well established companies dealing in various networking
    products. I've used many of their NICs, switches, routers, etc., and
    personally feel they should be fine. I have no experience with the other, so
    I can't offer an opinion. Along the same lines, Belkin has been a decent
    brand for this type of device, and I've been happy with their products. I am
    not happy with one I have from CyberPower, but that was a "Walmart Special"
    and it very likely isn't representative of their entire product line.

    --
    Pursuant to Public Law No 109-162 I hereby certify that it is not my
    intent in any way to irritate, frustrate, bother, provoke, gall,

    Toolman Tim, Jan 10, 2006
  7. frankg

    PC Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > --
    > Pursuant to Public Law No 109-162 I hereby certify that it is not my
    > intent in any way to irritate, frustrate, bother, provoke, gall,
    > disturb, vex, exasperate, ruffle, harrass, harry, pester, bedevil, piss
    > off, piss on, or in any other way annoy the reader of this post.

    Hi TT

    I love it!

    You might like to add:

    aggravate, bother, bug, chafe, fret, irk, nettle, peeve, put out, rile,
    bait, beleaguer, beset, harry, plague, tease, torment, and worry.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 10, 2006
  8. frankg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:MjWwf.13888$,
    PC spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> --
    >> Pursuant to Public Law No 109-162 I hereby certify that it is not my
    >> intent in any way to irritate, frustrate, bother, provoke, gall,
    >> disturb, vex, exasperate, ruffle, harrass, harry, pester, bedevil,
    >> piss off, piss on, or in any other way annoy the reader of this post.

    > Hi TT
    >
    > I love it!
    >
    > You might like to add:
    >
    > aggravate, bother, bug, chafe, fret, irk, nettle, peeve, put out,
    > rile, bait, beleaguer, beset, harry, plague, tease, torment, and
    > worry.
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Hee hee! Thanks...done!

    --
    Pursuant to Public Law No 109-162 I hereby certify that it is not my intent
    in any way to irritate, frustrate, bother, provoke, gall, aggravate, bother,

    Toolman Tim, Jan 11, 2006