    Thanks,
    Brian

    --
    brian, Feb 28, 2008

  2. brian

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya brian.

    In <> you wrote:

    > I recently picked up a 16GB USB storage device at a computer show for $25.00
    > bucks, yeah I know, you get what you pay for. My computers all recognize it,
    > and shows it as a 16GB drive, but when I copy files to it, and then remove
    > it the files are not shown after it's plugged back in. If you check the
    > properties it shows that the amount of spaced used by the files is still
    > being used, but they can't be seen. I formatted it but that didn't help, it
    > just showed then that the drive had full capacity back.
    > Any ideas as to why I can't see the files?

    Did you remove the device straight away or did you leave enough time for
    it to finish writing first?

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Feb 28, 2008

  3. brian

    brian Guest

    "Ponder" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya brian.
    >
    > In <> you wrote:
    >
    >> I recently picked up a 16GB USB storage device at a computer show for
    >> $25.00
    >> bucks, yeah I know, you get what you pay for. My computers all recognize
    >> it,
    >> and shows it as a 16GB drive, but when I copy files to it, and then
    >> remove
    >> it the files are not shown after it's plugged back in. If you check the
    >> properties it shows that the amount of spaced used by the files is still
    >> being used, but they can't be seen. I formatted it but that didn't help,
    >> it
    >> just showed then that the drive had full capacity back.
    >> Any ideas as to why I can't see the files?

    > Did you remove the device straight away or did you leave enough time for
    > it to finish writing first?
    >
    > --
    > PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    > Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811
    > Skittles Team: http://www.ddskittles.co.uk

    I did wait as it was only a few 25 Kb text files for a test. I even did the
    safely remove hardware method.

    I guess it just could be defective?
    brian, Feb 29, 2008
  4. brian

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya brian.

    In <> you wrote:

    >> Did you remove the device straight away or did you leave enough time for
    >> it to finish writing first?

    > I did wait as it was only a few 25 Kb text files for a test. I even did the
    > safely remove hardware method.

    Well that excludes the early disconnect possibility.

    > I guess it just could be defective?

    It could be. Try formatting it and copying the files again to see what
    happens.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Feb 29, 2008
  5. brian

    brian Guest

    "Ponder" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya brian.
    >
    > In <> you wrote:
    >
    >>> Did you remove the device straight away or did you leave enough time
    >>> for
    >>> it to finish writing first?

    >> I did wait as it was only a few 25 Kb text files for a test. I even did
    >> the
    >> safely remove hardware method.

    > Well that excludes the early disconnect possibility.
    >
    >> I guess it just could be defective?

    > It could be. Try formatting it and copying the files again to see what
    > happens.
    >
    > --
    > PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    > Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811
    > Skittles Team: http://www.ddskittles.co.uk

    Yep I tried that too, it will then show the full 16Gb in the drive
    properties window, and when files are copied to it I can open them from the
    drive, but after the drive is removed and inserted again, I can't see the
    files. But under the properties window it shows that there is space being
    used on that drive.
    Something weird here.
    brian, Feb 29, 2008
  6. brian

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya brian.

    In <> you wrote:

    >> It could be. Try formatting it and copying the files again to see what
    >> happens.

    > Yep I tried that too, it will then show the full 16Gb in the drive
    > properties window, and when files are copied to it I can open them from the
    > drive, but after the drive is removed and inserted again, I can't see the
    > files. But under the properties window it shows that there is space being
    > used on that drive.
    > Something weird here.

    Weird is right. What happens if you run chkdsk on it?

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Feb 29, 2008
  7. brian

    PeeCee Guest

    "brian" <> wrote in message
    >I recently picked up a 16GB USB storage device at a computer show for
    >$25.00
    > bucks, yeah I know, you get what you pay for. My computers all recognize
    > it,
    > and shows it as a 16GB drive, but when I copy files to it, and then remove
    > it the files are not shown after it's plugged back in. If you check the
    > properties it shows that the amount of spaced used by the files is still
    > being used, but they can't be seen. I formatted it but that didn't help,
    > it
    > just showed then that the drive had full capacity back.
    >
    > Any ideas as to why I can't see the files?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brian
    >
    > --

    Brian

    I had one do that, took it back and the second did the same, changed to
    another brand all OK.
    Retailer said a lot of them had done the same, probably best to take it
    back/get refund.

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Feb 29, 2008
  8. brian

    DaN Guest

    In article <fq7ptl$n6s$>, PeeCee says...

    > Brian
    >
    > I had one do that, took it back and the second did the same, changed to
    > another brand all OK.
    > Retailer said a lot of them had done the same, probably best to take it
    > back/get refund.
    >
    > Paul.

    That's why you should be wary of buying electronics at shows.

    ~Dan
    DaN, Feb 29, 2008
  9. brian

    Bert Guest

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:36:21 -0500, "brian" <> wrote:

    >I recently picked up a 16GB USB storage device at a computer show for $25.00
    >bucks, yeah I know, you get what you pay for. My computers all recognize it,
    >and shows it as a 16GB drive, but when I copy files to it, and then remove
    >it the files are not shown after it's plugged back in. If you check the
    >properties it shows that the amount of spaced used by the files is still
    >being used, but they can't be seen. I formatted it but that didn't help, it
    >just showed then that the drive had full capacity back.
    >
    >Any ideas as to why I can't see the files?

    This might be interesting for you:
    http://reviews.ebay.com/BEWARE-of-F...ash-Drives-on-eBay_W0QQugidZ10000000001236200

    Bert
    Bert, Feb 29, 2008
  10. brian

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Ponder wrote:
    > Hiya brian.
    >
    > In <> you wrote:
    >
    >> I recently picked up a 16GB USB storage device at a computer show for $25.00
    >> bucks, yeah I know, you get what you pay for. My computers all recognize it,
    >> and shows it as a 16GB drive, but when I copy files to it, and then remove
    >> it the files are not shown after it's plugged back in. If you check the
    >> properties it shows that the amount of spaced used by the files is still
    >> being used, but they can't be seen. I formatted it but that didn't help, it
    >> just showed then that the drive had full capacity back.
    >> Any ideas as to why I can't see the files?

    > Did you remove the device straight away or did you leave enough time for
    > it to finish writing first?

    Tell the s/w to "remove device" before you unplug it.
    Rick Merrill, Mar 1, 2008
  11. brian

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, brian
    <> wrote:

    > I recently picked up a 16GB USB storage device at a computer show for $25.00
    > bucks, yeah I know, you get what you pay for. My computers all recognize it,
    > and shows it as a 16GB drive, but when I copy files to it, and then remove
    > it the files are not shown after it's plugged back in. If you check the
    > properties it shows that the amount of spaced used by the files is still
    > being used, but they can't be seen. I formatted it but that didn't help, it
    > just showed then that the drive had full capacity back.
    >
    > Any ideas as to why I can't see the files?

    Yes; how about file name differences?

    What format is the originating drive using?
    What format is the flash storage?

    Is there a difference in the file naming requirements?
    (Punctuation, spaces, length, extension length?)
    Mitch, Mar 17, 2008