USB stick question

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by David, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. David

    David Guest

    I have a simple wired home network, and have just got another pc that I want
    to add. I don't want to go down the route of cabling, as the position of the
    pc is not permanent, so am looking at wireless. Currently it's only the one
    pc that I will be wanting to add, and I don't want to spend a lot of cash on
    this. I want to share the internet connection, files and printers.

    I've been looking at usb stick wireless connectors. The one I'm looking at
    is Dabs own value brand, and it says no access point is required. if I
    purchased two of these, would I be able to connect the new pc to the main pc
    on the network, and thus share the internet connection and the pc will
    appear on the network as another pc? It's wireless 'b' spec, and pretty
    cheap.

    Also on that point, I notice that wireless kit 'b' is cheaper than wireless
    'g'. Would there be any dissadvantage in going down the route of buying
    cheaper 'b' spec kit, as the network is a very simple home network. Or maybe
    buy a cheap 'g' access point, and a very cheap 'b' usb stick for the one pc
    I want to connect.

    All advice appreciated, and a happy new year to all BTW.
    David, Jan 1, 2005

  2. David

    David Guest

    I should have added that all pc's on the network are running xp home with
    sp2

    David, Jan 1, 2005

  3. David

    David Guest

    OK, I've found some of the answers.

    The difference between b and g seems to be mainly speed. My internet
    connection is only 512K, and we don't intend to change this so I'm guessing
    that 'b' is adequate for my purposes. In that case, there seems no sense in
    having a faster g type access point, and a slower b type node.

    I've also looked at some sites and reviews that say these devices can be
    used to share files/internet connection so I'm guessing that I can use these
    particular ones to do this too.

    My remaining questions are:-

    1) If the connection is between the new pc, and the main pc, will other
    pc's connected to the hub be able to access the new pc and the new pc be
    able to access pc's on the network other than the one it's connected to?

    2) If I can't use the network properly, then I'm guessing that it will have
    to be an access point. I'd really like to use the usb device because of the
    cost of it - would it talk to the rest of the network via an access point?

    Thanks
    David, Jan 1, 2005
  4. David

    mikeFNB Guest

    that would work ok, and yes every machine would see every machine (well when
    you get the config sorted! - have fun)
    G is faster than B, so you might see faster files transfer machine to
    machine, but G or B makes no diff to internet speed.

    mike

    mikeFNB, Jan 1, 2005
  5. David

    David Guest

    "mikeFNB" <moc.dlrowltn@FNB7G-ekim> wrote in message
    > that would work ok, and yes every machine would see every machine (well
    > when
    > you get the config sorted! - have fun)
    > G is faster than B, so you might see faster files transfer machine to
    > machine, but G or B makes no diff to internet speed.

    Thanks for that. I've since found out that my cabletv internet connection
    can be shared by a wireless router, so I'm thinking of getting one for the
    NAT firewall protection and future upgradeability, and a cheapo b usb stick
    to talk to it.
    David, Jan 1, 2005
  6. David

    mikeFNB Guest

    well personally i'd got with PCI cards rather than USB
    if it's NTL then i did the whole lot for under £150.

    mike

    mikeFNB, Jan 1, 2005