    able to play the sound out through my laptops internal speakers?

    Thanks in advance

    Gary

    Gary Glencross, Apr 4, 2005

  2. Gary Glencross

    JD Guest

    Gary Glencross wrote:
    > My laptop sound card ceased to function just outside of warranty (only sound
    > from 1 channel now) - using speakers or headphones.
    >
    > If I buy an external usb sound card how big are they normally, and will I be
    > able to play the sound out through my laptops internal speakers?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Gary

    you can get PCMA type sound-card's and USB/Firewire sound-cards(check
    out the one's from creative labs) they do not use the internal speakers.
    they are reasonably priced.

    JD, Apr 4, 2005

  3. I have MobilePre USB by M-AUDIO. I paid $100 USD
    It is 18cm X 5 cm X 14 cm that seems kind of big to lug around but
    there are smaller ones available (mine is designed for recording and
    has some extra input types)

    Will Dearborn, Apr 5, 2005
  4. Sorry one more thing.
    A guitar plugged into my USB device will play on the speakers plugged
    into my MB onboard soundcard, but I dont know about your situation. As
    a pure guess I would think your speakers are plugged into the broken
    card?

    Will Dearborn, Apr 5, 2005
  5. Thanks for the replies so far.

    The card is an onboard sound card. The first symptoms I had that all was
    not well was when there was a crackling when I moved the volume control.

    Then, a few weeks later I could no longer get any sound out of the left
    speaker. I don't get any sound out of the left channel either when using
    headphones or when setting the laptop to mono mode.

    Do you agree this sounds like the onboard card has given up the ghost rather
    than a problem with the speaker?

    Gary

    Gary Glencross, Apr 5, 2005
  6. It appears your left channel is dead since the headphones don't work
    either. A set of small speakers to go with the usb sound wouldn't be
    very expensive, just a hassle to carry around.

    Will Dearborn, Apr 6, 2005