USB sony camera to windows xp or linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Judges1318, Apr 24, 2009.

  1. Judges1318

    Judges1318 Guest

    Strange!

    A Sony digital camera (nothing fancy) 7 Mpix,
    and I used the USB cable to retrieve the images.
    Initially, the downloading was done under Windows Xp.
    Then, the downloading was done under Linux (Debian) for
    some time. No problems in either case.

    Then the camera was 'forgotten' in a bag, then 'found'
    and a few more images taken. No problems, works normally.

    Then the batteries went flat, so I tried to switch it
    on with flat batteries, and the camera was not
    impressed. But, fresh batteries went in (AA, MH)
    and the spirit returned, again, camera working,
    hunky dory.

    Then downloading images under Windows Xp flunked.
    Every time I connect the camera, the Windows replies:
    the device malfunctioned, replace the device, etc. etc.
    Very worrisome. Then tried on another computer udder
    windows. Same result. Tragic. But otherwise, everything
    seemed normal, camera takes photos, browsing old images
    is fine, etc.

    Then, almost without hope, I booted a Linux Gentoo rescue
    disk. Et voila, the usb device mounted, and the images
    stored on a hard drive, like a breeze.

    Connected to Windows again, usb malfunction message again.

    Why? Would anyone care to comment?
    Would anti-viral patches mess up the USB device drivers?

    Strange!

    Judges1318, Apr 24, 2009

  2. In message <>, Judges1318
    wrote:

    > Connected to Windows again, usb malfunction message again.

    Could it be something as simple as filesystem corruption or wrong date/time
    on the camera?

    Does the camera have removable cards or built-in memory?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 24, 2009

  3. Judges1318

    Richard Guest

    Judges1318 wrote:

    > Connected to Windows again, usb malfunction message again.
    >
    > Why? Would anyone care to comment?
    > Would anti-viral patches mess up the USB device drivers?

    They use FAT, a very fragile file system. Turning it on with flat
    batteries usually leads to it turning off at a critical time, so it is
    probably just a corrupt file system, linux may be making it operate in
    mass storage mode where the file system handling is done on the
    computer, which inevitably is more tolerant of a corrupt file system.

    Reformat the card and it will probably go ok again in windows. And never
    turn a camera back on when it has turned off till you have changed the
    batteries - they turn off for a reason, not just to annoy you.

    Richard, Apr 24, 2009
  4. Judges1318

    Matty F Guest

    On Apr 24, 3:49 pm, Judges1318
    <> wrote:

    > Then, almost without hope, I booted a Linux Gentoo rescue
    > disk. Et voila, the usb device mounted, and the images
    > stored on a hard drive, like a breeze.

    Go to the camera Setup and check that "USB Connect" is Normal.
    Otherwise there should be an option in Setup to format the card.

    Matty F, Apr 24, 2009
  5. Judges1318

    Judges1318 Guest

    > A Sony digital camera (nothing fancy) 7 Mpix,
    > and I used the USB cable to retrieve the images.
    > Initially, the downloading was done under Windows Xp.
    > Then, the downloading was done under Linux (Debian) for
    > some time. No problems in either case.
    >
    > Then the camera was 'forgotten' in a bag, then 'found'
    > and a few more images taken. No problems, works normally.
    >
    > Then the batteries went flat, so I tried to switch it
    > on with flat batteries, and the camera was not
    > impressed. But, fresh batteries went in (AA, MH)
    > and the spirit returned, again, camera working,
    > hunky dory.
    >
    > Then downloading images under Windows Xp flunked.
    > Every time I connect the camera, the Windows replies:
    > the device malfunctioned, replace the device, etc. etc.
    > Very worrisome. Then tried on another computer udder
    > windows. Same result. Tragic. But otherwise, everything
    > seemed normal, camera takes photos, browsing old images
    > is fine, etc.
    >
    > Then, almost without hope, I booted a Linux Gentoo rescue
    > disk. Et voila, the usb device mounted, and the images
    > stored on a hard drive, like a breeze.
    >
    > Connected to Windows again, usb malfunction message again.
    >
    > Why? Would anyone care to comment?
    > Would anti-viral patches mess up the USB device drivers?

    Many thanks to Richard, Lawrence, and Matty, who replied to my
    first post.

    First, I reformatted the mem card, in vain. Windows still
    finds a malfunctioning device when I connect the camera.

    Linux (gentoo based rescue disk) still mounts the device,
    copies files, etc. Tried with Ubuntu, too. Good as gold.

    Then I re-initialised the camera. No change.

    Then I nuked the memory card (dd if=/dev/zero for
    those who know what it means), then reformatted again.
    No change.

    Strange, indeed.

    Judges1318, May 10, 2009
  6. In message <>, Judges1318
    wrote:

    > Windows still finds a malfunctioning device when I connect the camera.

    Is there no system log or debug mode you can enable to get more detail on
    what exactly it's complaining about?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 11, 2009
  7. Judges1318

    Judges1318 Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> Windows still finds a malfunctioning device when I connect the camera.

    > Is there no system log or debug mode you can enable to get more detail on
    > what exactly it's complaining about?

    Sorry for not replying before.

    Well, things have gone even stranger since.

    After all this reformatting, with memory card in, with memory card
    out, what not, I have tried with XP again and again, and nothing.
    Apparently, the device on the USB port had both major and minor
    USB numbers 0000. At least, that is what XP saw. I somehow
    doubted these were real manufacturer's id numbers, so I thought
    that the camera's internal flash went sour. Sigh!

    Fortunately, Linux worked, so I had an Ubuntu live cd with the camera
    always, for just if I needed to offload new pictures when away.
    And it worked, images taken, Linux bootstrapped, images saved, done.
    I just thought that Linux has been less fussy about the unrecognised
    USB device numbers, and that the default driver for anything
    not recognised would be storage device driver, so it worked for me.
    And my worry was whether the next issue of drivers would have
    drivers with tighter compliances, and the camera would become
    rejected by Linux, too.

    And then, huge shock!

    For some reason I plugged the camera to USB when XP was up, and
    it mounted!!! It did not recognise an imaging device, just a storage
    device, but what more does one need!!! Incredible! Strange!
    You can almost hear the twilight zone theme. And, just to make
    sure, I have checked the USB numbers, and now they are 054C/0295.

    So for the moment, the problem solved itself automagically.
    Literally!

    Many thanks to all who replied.

    Judges1318, Jun 6, 2009