    notebook doesn't have a serial port, and I've heard a few bad things about a
    few brands of adaptors.

    Thanks :eek:)

    WS, Jan 3, 2006

  2. WS

    ~misfit~ Guest

    WS wrote:
    > Can someone please recommend a particular USB Serial port adaptor? My
    > notebook doesn't have a serial port, and I've heard a few bad things
    > about a few brands of adaptors.
    >

    > Thanks :eek:)

    I have an Inside Out Networks Edgeport / 4i that I could be persuaded to
    part with (Minus the USB cable, although it's a standard one, I'm using it
    for something else).

    See description here:

    http://www.pcuniverse.com/product.asp?pid=63474&m_id=

    With XP and sp2 you just plug it in and the software is automatically
    downloaded and installed. I'm told this is a very good brand.

    If you're interested make me an offer on misfitnz at gmail dot com. Of
    course, I don't want anywhere near the price listed on that web page. If I
    wasn't so damn broke at the moment I'd give it to you. However, needs must*
    and all that.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    * http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-nee1.htm

    ~misfit~, Jan 3, 2006

  3. On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 18:08:48 +1300, "WS" <> wrote:

    >Can someone please recommend a particular USB Serial port adaptor? My
    >notebook doesn't have a serial port, and I've heard a few bad things about a
    >few brands of adaptors.

    Can't say I've had any problems with the Belkin one I use, I use it
    mostly to communicate with Casio cash registers that don't have
    ethernet (i.e. most of them)

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Jan 3, 2006
  4. WS

    Legs Guest

    WS wrote:
    > Can someone please recommend a particular USB Serial port adaptor? My
    > notebook doesn't have a serial port, and I've heard a few bad things about a
    > few brands of adaptors.
    >

    > Thanks :eek:)

    I use a Dick Smith one. Unfortunately DSE retired this particular model
    via clear-out specials a few months back. I use it to drive an ICOM
    PCR-1000 Radio Scanner from my XP-Pro O/S laptop. Other people have
    complained about USB adaptors and WinXP (individually) not being able to
    drive this particular scanner. My experience is just the opposite, the
    DSE adaptor has been most reliable.

    Legs, Jan 3, 2006