USB Question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard Holmes, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    Got a question on USB.

    Last week the MIL's husband brought himself a new Compaq laptop. He
    asked me to transfer his data from his old Win 98 Toshiba to the new XP
    Home Compaq.

    So, I went out and brought a 256 MB USB memory stick, installed the
    drivers on the Win98 machine and transferred said data no problems at
    all. Only thing I noticed was the staggering differntial in transfer
    speed between USB 1.1 and 2.0 (7 minutes versus 45 seconds).

    However, when I plug the memory stick into my own not quite two year old
    XP Pro Compaq laptop I get the following messages.

    "A HIGH SPEED USB device is plugged into a NON HIGH SPEED USB hub ....."

    And then ends with a recommedation:

    "The USB Mass Storage device will function at reduced speed. You must
    add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to this computer to obtain maximum
    performance"

    Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....

    TIA.

    RH

    Richard Holmes, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Richard Holmes

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Richard Holmes <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > Got a question on USB.
    >
    > Last week the MIL's husband brought himself a new Compaq laptop. He
    > asked me to transfer his data from his old Win 98 Toshiba to the new XP
    > Home Compaq.
    >
    > So, I went out and brought a 256 MB USB memory stick, installed the
    > drivers on the Win98 machine and transferred said data no problems at
    > all. Only thing I noticed was the staggering differntial in transfer
    > speed between USB 1.1 and 2.0 (7 minutes versus 45 seconds).
    >
    > However, when I plug the memory stick into my own not quite two year

    old
    > XP Pro Compaq laptop I get the following messages.
    >
    > "A HIGH SPEED USB device is plugged into a NON HIGH SPEED USB hub

    ......"

    > And then ends with a recommedation:
    >
    > "The USB Mass Storage device will function at reduced speed. You must
    > add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to this computer to obtain maximum
    > performance"
    >
    > Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > RH

    Well, it sounds to me like you DO NOT have a USB 2.0 port on your laptop.
    The system spec page at Compaq should be able to tell you. Have a look
    there. It may just be a simple driver issue, but I doubt it. It is
    unlikely that a laptop of that age would have a USB 2.0 controller built
    into it. An option could be to purchase a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card.

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 10, 2004

  3. Richard Holmes wrote:
    > Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....

    no, and no need for a fix... it'll just be slow.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 10, 2004
  4. Richard Holmes

    Ripping Silk Guest

    USB 2.0 will not be enabled unless you upgrade to SP1 for Windows XP.

    Ripping Silk, Feb 10, 2004
  5. On 11 Feb 2004 09:57:13 +1300, Richard Holmes <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Got a question on USB.
    >
    >Last week the MIL's husband brought himself a new Compaq laptop. He
    >asked me to transfer his data from his old Win 98 Toshiba to the new XP
    >Home Compaq.
    >
    >So, I went out and brought a 256 MB USB memory stick, installed the
    >drivers on the Win98 machine and transferred said data no problems at
    >all. Only thing I noticed was the staggering differntial in transfer
    >speed between USB 1.1 and 2.0 (7 minutes versus 45 seconds).
    >
    >However, when I plug the memory stick into my own not quite two year old
    >XP Pro Compaq laptop I get the following messages.
    >
    >"A HIGH SPEED USB device is plugged into a NON HIGH SPEED USB hub ....."
    >
    >And then ends with a recommedation:
    >
    >"The USB Mass Storage device will function at reduced speed. You must
    >add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to this computer to obtain maximum
    >performance"
    >
    >Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....
    >
    >TIA.
    >
    >RH

    It just runs at 1.1 Speed, so you don't have a problem.

    Robin Wheeler, Feb 10, 2004
  6. Ripping Silk wrote:
    >>> Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....

    >> no, and no need for a fix... it'll just be slow.

    > USB 2.0 will not be enabled unless you upgrade to SP1 for Windows XP.

    although you are correct, it shouldn't pick up the USB hardware at all
    unless he has installed drivers for the USB hub.

    If it has somehow picked it up as a standard USB 1.1 hub, then thats
    just plain odd, and would be the first time I've ever seen that.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 10, 2004
  7. Ripping Silk <> wrote in news:c0bkol$uvq$2
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    > USB 2.0 will not be enabled unless you upgrade to SP1 for Windows XP.
    >
    > T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Holmes wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....

    >> no, and no need for a fix... it'll just be slow.

    I've always accepted all of the automatic updates to XP Pro form MS, that
    should be equivalent to SP1 should it not.

    RH

    Richard Holmes, Feb 10, 2004
  8. Richard Holmes

    Ripping Silk Guest

    > I've always accepted all of the automatic updates to XP Pro form MS, that
    > should be equivalent to SP1 should it not.
    >
    > RH

    You'd think so, yes, but I'm not so sure. if you try and look for a
    separate USB 2.0 driver for XP, you'll find it.. difficult.. (I found it
    impossible).
    All of the literature I read say you need SP1.

    Ripping Silk, Feb 11, 2004
  9. Richard Holmes

    Ripping Silk Guest

    I think it would pick up the hardware OK .. just revert to USB 1.1 speed.
    Although that it recognises i5t as a 'High Speed USB' device is weird,
    but having said that.. the 'type' of hardware is probably on firmware on
    the USB device and XP is just reading what it is, like you see what type
    of graphics card you have in BIOS before installing drivers.

    Of course the other option is to go into device manager, look for the
    USB ports and if you see a yellow mark with a black cross on the 'USB
    2.0 hub', you need the drivers (ie SP1).

    Ripping Silk, Feb 11, 2004
  10. Richard Holmes

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <Xns948C6542482BErichardhixnetnz@203.97.97.132>, Richard
    Holmes <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz> says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Got a question on USB.
    >
    > Last week the MIL's husband brought himself a new Compaq laptop. He
    > asked me to transfer his data from his old Win 98 Toshiba to the new XP
    > Home Compaq.
    >
    > So, I went out and brought a 256 MB USB memory stick, installed the
    > drivers on the Win98 machine and transferred said data no problems at
    > all. Only thing I noticed was the staggering differntial in transfer
    > speed between USB 1.1 and 2.0 (7 minutes versus 45 seconds).
    >
    > However, when I plug the memory stick into my own not quite two year old
    > XP Pro Compaq laptop I get the following messages.
    >
    > "A HIGH SPEED USB device is plugged into a NON HIGH SPEED USB hub ....."
    >
    > And then ends with a recommedation:
    >
    > "The USB Mass Storage device will function at reduced speed. You must
    > add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to this computer to obtain maximum
    > performance"
    >
    > Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....

    It means the USB ports on your compaq are only 1.x

    Mainlander, Feb 11, 2004
  11. On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:18:54 +1300, Ripping Silk
    <> wrote:

    >> I've always accepted all of the automatic updates to XP Pro form MS, that
    >> should be equivalent to SP1 should it not.
    >>
    >> RH

    > You'd think so, yes, but I'm not so sure. if you try and look for a
    >separate USB 2.0 driver for XP, you'll find it.. difficult.. (I found it
    >impossible).
    > All of the literature I read say you need SP1.

    A USB 2 will just work slower with USB 1.1, you do not need a USB 2 port
    unless you need the faster speed.

    Many sites have the USB drivers, but they were included with SP1

    Robin Wheeler, Feb 11, 2004