    I really don't suspect it. Is there a way to reinstall the camera's
    firmware, if that would help? Other ideas?

    Thanks - Armando

    Armando, Oct 27, 2006

  2. Armando

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 23:46:35 GMT, Armando wrote:

    > Lately, I've been getting failures when I plug my digicam into the USB port,
    > causing me to have to revert to my trusty (but SLOW) floppy disk adapter I
    > sore I'd never go back to. Has anyone else had a USB failure with a Sony
    > digicam? It fails in every port I've tried, and other items work in the
    > same ports, so I suspect the camera. I don't have another cord to try, but
    > I really don't suspect it. Is there a way to reinstall the camera's
    > firmware, if that would help? Other ideas?

    Check your camera's menu. There is usually more than one USB
    mode, and only one of them will let the computer see the camera's
    memory card as a disk drive. Cameras can have a PictBridge
    (printer) mode or a Web Cam mode. If set to either of these instead
    of the desired DCS (Mass Storage Device) mode, the camera won't
    recognize the camera as a disk drive that it can copy pictures from.

    ASAAR, Oct 27, 2006

  3. Armando

    KenJr Guest

    In article <vNb0h.167$>,
    says...
    > Hi all -
    >
    > Lately, I've been getting failures when I plug my digicam into the USB port,
    > causing me to have to revert to my trusty (but SLOW) floppy disk adapter I
    > sore I'd never go back to. Has anyone else had a USB failure with a Sony
    > digicam? It fails in every port I've tried, and other items work in the
    > same ports, so I suspect the camera. I don't have another cord to try, but
    > I really don't suspect it. Is there a way to reinstall the camera's
    > firmware, if that would help? Other ideas?

    Chances are the contacts for the USB connector on the camera are worn or
    dirty. My advice would be to get a card reader. You can get them for
    less than $20.

    I used to have that camera, it was a great little camera.

    KenJr, Oct 27, 2006
  4. Armando

    KenJr Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Check your camera's menu. There is usually more than one USB
    > mode, and only one of them will let the computer see the camera's
    > memory card as a disk drive. Cameras can have a PictBridge
    > (printer) mode or a Web Cam mode. If set to either of these instead
    > of the desired DCS (Mass Storage Device) mode, the camera won't
    > recognize the camera as a disk drive that it can copy pictures from.

    I used to have one of these. It didn't have PictBridge or any other USB
    modes. You just plugged in the camera and it showed as a drive.

    KenJr, Oct 27, 2006
  5. Armando

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:42:16 -0700, KenJr wrote:

    >> Check your camera's menu. There is usually more than one USB
    >> mode, and only one of them will let the computer see the camera's
    >> memory card as a disk drive. Cameras can have a PictBridge
    >> (printer) mode or a Web Cam mode. If set to either of these instead
    >> of the desired DCS (Mass Storage Device) mode, the camera won't
    >> recognize the camera as a disk drive that it can copy pictures from.

    > I used to have one of these. It didn't have PictBridge or any other USB
    > modes. You just plugged in the camera and it showed as a drive.

    And I used to have to transfer files using my old Canon's serial
    port because my computer had no USB support. Back then PictBridge
    hadn't yet been developed and even today many cameras don't have a
    Web Cam mode. But as I said, many of today's cameras have more than
    one USB mode, so that's something that should be checked unless it's
    known to lack other USB modes, as the SDC-S50 apparently does. I
    might have guessed that this camera lacked alternate USB modes but
    didn't catch the "floppy disk adapter" clue. :) Shades of Mavicas,
    how old is that thing?

    ASAAR, Oct 27, 2006
  6. Armando

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 23:29:12 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:42:16 -0700, KenJr wrote:
    >
    >>> Check your camera's menu. There is usually more than one USB
    >>> mode, and only one of them will let the computer see the camera's
    >>> memory card as a disk drive. Cameras can have a PictBridge
    >>> (printer) mode or a Web Cam mode. If set to either of these instead
    >>> of the desired DCS (Mass Storage Device) mode, the camera won't
    >>> recognize the camera as a disk drive that it can copy pictures from.

    >> I used to have one of these. It didn't have PictBridge or any other USB
    >> modes. You just plugged in the camera and it showed as a drive.

    > And I used to have to transfer files using my old Canon's serial
    >port because my computer had no USB support. Back then PictBridge
    >hadn't yet been developed and even today many cameras don't have a
    >Web Cam mode. But as I said, many of today's cameras have more than
    >one USB mode, so that's something that should be checked unless it's
    >known to lack other USB modes, as the SDC-S50 apparently does. I
    >might have guessed that this camera lacked alternate USB modes but
    >didn't catch the "floppy disk adapter" clue. :) Shades of Mavicas,
    >how old is that thing?

    According to dpreview, Feb. of 2000.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Oct 27, 2006
  7. Armando

    KenJr Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I might have guessed that this camera lacked alternate USB modes but
    > didn't catch the "floppy disk adapter" clue. :) Shades of Mavicas,
    > how old is that thing?

    I bought mine right before Christmas in 2000. It's a nice little camera,
    I wish I'd have kept mine. Of course it's no match for my DSLR, but it
    was pretty good for a 2.1 MP camera.

    If it is still working for him I'd say to keep it, even if he does
    decide to buy a new camera later. The only reason I got rid of mine is
    my dad broke his S50 and it gave me an excuse to buy a better camera.

    KenJr, Oct 28, 2006