USB Problems - appears Dead

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Eli Coten, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. Eli Coten

    Eli Coten Guest

    Hi there,
    I have this problem with my USB on Win98se. The USB was working
    intermittently, after a certain amount of data transfer it gave up, so I
    was following instructions on this website to do a safe mode cleanup.
    Unfortunately now this seems to have completely broken my USB. I am
    using a VIA usb host controller, and it is the model that needs the USB
    filter patch.
    Before I installed the patch, it was working reasonably well using the
    Standard Microsoft Driver. I was trying to get the patch installed, and
    so I was following the cleanup from this website. After the cleanup
    however, Windows will not recognise ANY USB devices. It automatically
    installed the USB Host controller and a USB root hub for each port, but
    when a device is plugged into the port it just goes dead.
    I have a USB modem that is useful to explain what is going on. I keep it
    plugged into the computer. When the computer first starts up the red
    light on the modem comes on until Windows starts loading. Once Windows
    beings to load, at the point where the lights would usually go green,
    both lights go off and they then stay off until the computer is
    restarted. Why is Windows turning off the USB devices? What can I do
    about it.
    I know the USB ports themselves are ok because when I tried with a Linux
    boot CD and the modem works fine?

    Thanks very much,
    Eli

    Eli Coten, Feb 14, 2006