USB prob / Win98 orig vers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by G. Morgan, Nov 7, 2004.

  1. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:30:51 -0800 "Geno Ardi"
    used 35 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >I've heard that installing WIN98SE cures this, but don't have it to
    >install. I know that XP will fix it, but this computer only has 64
    >meg, a 2.0 gig hard drive, and a 366 Celeron processor.

    Check out this thread:

    How do you like your trout?

    --
    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
    G. Morgan, Nov 7, 2004

  2. G. Morgan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Geno Ardi" <> wrote in message
    | First let me say, I'd upgrade if I could, but stuck w/this clunker.
    |
    | I have an IBM Thinkpad 1452i (~1999), with WIN98 original version. I
    | am attempting to install an Epson Stylus 925 (ISB only) printer, but
    | having a problem.
    |
    | There is an ISB port on this computer, and I connected the printer to
    | it, but the computer doesn't recognize it.
    |
    | The computer BIOS states that the ISB is active.
    |
    | In Control Panel / System / Device Mgr / USB controller / it shows:
    |
    | 1) ALi PCI to USB open host controller (Acer Labs vers 3)
    | 2) USB root hub (Std USB host controller)
    |
    | They both say they are working properly.
    |
    | With the USB cable linked to the computer, if I turn the printer on,
    | OR if I boot the computer with the printer connected and on,
    | nothing happens. No 'new hardward found' message.
    |
    | In the 'Add Printer Wizard', I can select Epson Photo 925, but the
    | choice of ports does NOT include USB, only COM1, COM3 & LPT1.
    |
    | I went to WINDOWSUPDATE.COM, scanned for updates, it listed 22
    | critical updates, 43 other updates, but NO driver updates.
    |
    | I've heard that installing WIN98SE cures this, but don't have it to
    | install. I know that XP will fix it, but this computer only has 64
    | meg, a 2.0 gig hard drive, and a 366 Celeron processor.
    |
    | Is there any hope? Thanks in advance!
    |
    | Geno Ardi

    Maybe you plugged the printer in BEFORE you ran the setup disk, huh? If so,
    that was not a good move. USB on Win9x nearly always requires the drivers to
    be loaded in the computer before hooking up the new peripheral.

    And Windows Update isn't going to have printer drivers for your printer. You
    need to get them from www.epson.com. Your USB drivers should be with the
    discs that came with the computer, or on the hard drive.

    (Have you tried any other USB devices on your computer, and do they work? )

    You will probably need to 1) uninstall any and everything you have tried
    that relates to the usb printer and possibly even the usb ports themselves.
    2) boot in safe mode, go to device manager (right click My Computer, select
    properties, second tab on top) and check while in safe mode that nothing
    related to your printer/usb stuff is in there. Delete it if there is. 3)
    with the printer unplugged from the computer, reboot. Let the computer setup
    the USB hardware again.

    Then, carefully follow the printer setup instructions. Like I said before,
    you probably will have to run the installation CD before you plug in the
    printer, then the setup program should tell you when to plug it in. At
    least, that's what I've experienced with a dozen HP printers, several
    digital cameras, scanners, etc.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004

  3. G. Morgan

    Gil Guest

    "Geno Ardi" <> wrote in message
    > First let me say, I'd upgrade if I could, but stuck w/this clunker.
    >
    > I have an IBM Thinkpad 1452i (~1999), with WIN98 original version. I
    > am attempting to install an Epson Stylus 925 (ISB only) printer, but
    > having a problem.

    If you don't have the software for the printer, you might go here and get
    the
    drivers. If this doesn't help you might try google.

    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&
    oid=14414&prodoid=22708393&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

    Geno Ardi, Nov 7, 2004
  5. G. Morgan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Geno Ardi" <> wrote in message

    | >Maybe you plugged the printer in BEFORE you ran the setup disk, huh? If
    so,
    | >that was not a good move. USB on Win9x nearly always requires the drivers
    | >be loaded in the computer before hooking up the new peripheral.
    |
    | I have the disk, but downloaded the latest from Epson. I did not
    | connect the printer until the install program said to, and at that
    | point did not get recognition ("new hardware found")
    |
    | >And Windows Update isn't going to have printer drivers for your printer.
    You
    | >need to get them from www.epson.com.
    |
    | I've done that, and that's the file I used to attempt installation.
    |
    | > Your USB drivers should be with the
    | >discs that came with the computer, or on the hard drive.
    |
    | They are. They just don't seem to work.
    |
    | >(Have you tried any other USB devices on your computer, and do they
    work? )

    | If I had one, I'd plug it in. Or, if I had another computer, I'd plug
    | in the printer to make sure the printer and cable were OK.
    |
    | >You will probably need to 1) uninstall any and everything you have tried
    | >that relates to the usb printer and possibly even the usb ports
    themselves.
    | >2) boot in safe mode, go to device manager (right click My Computer,
    select
    | >properties, second tab on top) and check while in safe mode that nothing
    | >related to your printer/usb stuff is in there.
    |
    | I saw nothing but the two drivers I mentioned:
    | 1) openhci.sys, ntkern.vxd
    | 2) USB hub, ntkern.vxd
    | both microsoft 4.10.1998
    |
    | I'm thinking there might be driver corruption, even though I did
    | everything according to instructions from the install program. I'm
    | thinking I should delete both USB drivers.
    |
    | Question: Will Windows reinstall them from the CAB files? I don't
    | have a Win 98 disc, as none came with the computer.
    |
    | Thanks again.

    There is a strong possibility that the Ali drivers for the USB are not in
    your system's CAB files. You might want to check for updates to the Ali
    chipset for your motherboard. If you don't know what the motherboard is,
    download Belarc Advisor www.belarc.com and it should tell you. Then you may
    need to go to either the manufactures website, or to Ali's website.

    I wouldn't delete the drivers until you were sure you had the replacements
    ready.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004
  6. G. Morgan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Geno Ardi" <> wrote in message

    | >Maybe you plugged the printer in BEFORE you ran the setup disk, huh? If
    so,
    | >that was not a good move. USB on Win9x nearly always requires the drivers
    | >be loaded in the computer before hooking up the new peripheral.
    |
    | I have the disk, but downloaded the latest from Epson. I did not
    | connect the printer until the install program said to, and at that
    | point did not get recognition ("new hardware found")
    |
    | >And Windows Update isn't going to have printer drivers for your printer.
    You
    | >need to get them from www.epson.com.
    |
    | I've done that, and that's the file I used to attempt installation.
    |
    | > Your USB drivers should be with the
    | >discs that came with the computer, or on the hard drive.
    |
    | They are. They just don't seem to work.
    |
    | >(Have you tried any other USB devices on your computer, and do they
    work? )

    | If I had one, I'd plug it in. Or, if I had another computer, I'd plug
    | in the printer to make sure the printer and cable were OK.
    |
    | >You will probably need to 1) uninstall any and everything you have tried
    | >that relates to the usb printer and possibly even the usb ports
    themselves.
    | >2) boot in safe mode, go to device manager (right click My Computer,
    select
    | >properties, second tab on top) and check while in safe mode that nothing
    | >related to your printer/usb stuff is in there.
    |
    | I saw nothing but the two drivers I mentioned:
    | 1) openhci.sys, ntkern.vxd
    | 2) USB hub, ntkern.vxd
    | both microsoft 4.10.1998
    |
    | I'm thinking there might be driver corruption, even though I did
    | everything according to instructions from the install program. I'm
    | thinking I should delete both USB drivers.
    |
    | Question: Will Windows reinstall them from the CAB files? I don't
    | have a Win 98 disc, as none came with the computer.
    |
    | Thanks again.

    Oh - and run the CD from Epson. The drivers on the website are quite
    possibly UPDATES only and don't include the entire setup. I know that for a
    fact, since I've been having problems with my Epson scanner <g>
    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004
  7. G. Morgan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Geno Ardi" <> wrote in message

    | >Oh - and run the CD from Epson. The drivers on the website are quite
    | >possibly UPDATES only and don't include the entire setup. I know that for
    | >fact, since I've been having problems with my Epson scanner <g>
    |
    | Would they do that w/o telling you? hmmmmm
    |
    | I will run the disk tho

    Oh yeah. They probably are trying to keep the file size down for people on
    dial-up. Most of the software for my scanner is not available anywhere but
    the original CD. But SP2 seems to have screwed up the nice little
    photocopier utility. I only use it once or twice a month, but it was a
    really nice little function.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004
  8. G. Morgan

    Geno Ardi Guest

    Geno Ardi, Nov 7, 2004
  9. G. Morgan

    Geno Ardi Guest

    >Check out this thread:

    I may go that routel

    >How do you like your trout?

    I't OK.
    Geno Ardi, Nov 7, 2004
  10. G. Morgan

    Geno Ardi Guest

    >If you don't have the software for the printer, you might go here and get
    >the drivers. If this doesn't help you might try google.
    >
    >http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&
    >oid=14414&prodoid=22708393&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

    I got the Epson software, just can't get the computer to talk to the
    USB port. I't weird that when I try the 'install new printer"wizard,
    it let's me select the Epson 925 from a list, but where you select the
    port, it doesn't show an USB port available.

    As stated above, I might try deleting the USB driver and Root Hub and
    let Windows redo them. Then, run the install software, and connect
    the printer when it says to.

    That work?

    Thx, Geno
    Geno Ardi, Nov 7, 2004
  11. G. Morgan

    Geno Ardi Guest

    >There is a strong possibility that the Ali drivers for the USB are not in
    >your system's CAB files. You might want to check for updates to the Ali
    >chipset for your motherboard. If you don't know what the motherboard is,
    >download Belarc Advisor www.belarc.com and it should tell you. Then you may
    >need to go to either the manufactures website, or to Ali's websiite.

    I'll try that. It's an IBM Thinkpad laptop, and I don't think IBM
    supports it anymore.

    >I wouldn't delete the drivers until you were sure you had the replacements
    >ready.

    Gotcha.
    Geno Ardi, Nov 7, 2004
  12. G. Morgan

    Geno Ardi Guest

    Geno Ardi, Nov 7, 2004
  13. G. Morgan

    Geno Ardi Guest

    >There is a strong possibility that the Ali drivers for the USB are not in
    >your system's CAB files.

    >I wouldn't delete the drivers until you were sure you had the replacements
    >ready.

    I have anr XP computer (not here tho) where I've had occasional
    lockups while using an HP ISB printer (mdl 1000), and tech srvc has
    had me delete ALL USB drivers, reboot and let XP reinstall them,
    then reinstall the HP printer drivers. It works, but I don't know if
    it will work in this instance. One way to find out tho ....
    Geno Ardi, Nov 7, 2004
  14. G. Morgan

    trout Guest

    G. Morgan wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:30:51 -0800 "Geno Ardi"
    > used 35 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >
    >> I've heard that installing WIN98SE cures this, but don't have it to
    >> install. I know that XP will fix it, but this computer only has 64
    >> meg, a 2.0 gig hard drive, and a 366 Celeron processor.

    > Check out this thread:

    > How do you like your trout?

    Trolling me now, Thief?
    --
    "What a wad."
    trout, Nov 7, 2004
  15. G. Morgan

    trout Guest

    Geno Ardi wrote:

    >> Check out this thread:

    > I may go that routel
    >
    >> How do you like your trout?

    > I't OK.

    What the ethically-challenged Mr. Morgan has failed to mention:
    While he is pleased with his ability to skirt the letter of the law (so
    far), and only post links to other people's acts of theft; as an end
    user, you *would* be legally liable for installing this software.
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/how_types.mspx
    --
    "Do you believe that Microsoft isn't aware of these things?"
    trout, Nov 7, 2004