    I have no idea what to do about this.

    Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

    Thanks.
    tigercat, Sep 5, 2004

  2. tigercat

    Smoker Guest

    "tigercat" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I was at my dad's today trying to help him with some computer problems,

    but
    > I didn't have much luck.
    >
    > He has an HP 2+ GHZ, 256 RAM, plenty of Disk Space running Win XP Home

    SP2.

    > Seems like all of a sudden the USB ports on his PC dont' work. He has a
    > printer and a Logitech Webcam, as well as a Belkin USB hub, but none of

    them
    > seem to work. When the Lexmark printer and Logitech Cam are plugged into
    > the Belkin Hub, Windows does not see them, and when I plug the printer and
    > Cam directly in the USB ports in back of the PC, it still doesn't work.
    >
    > My dad said, that one night everything worked fine and the next night it
    > didn't, and that's all he knew.
    >
    > I have no idea what to do about this.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

    My suggestion won't help you now but probably in the future. The next time
    Microsoft comes out with such a major update like XP SP2, you might sit back
    awhile and wait until all the bugs are out of it before you decide to be one
    of the first to download it.
    Smoker, Sep 5, 2004

  3. On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 23:14:18 -0400, "tigercat" <>
    wrote:

    >I was at my dad's today trying to help him with some computer problems, but
    >I didn't have much luck.
    >
    >He has an HP 2+ GHZ, 256 RAM, plenty of Disk Space running Win XP Home SP2.
    >
    >Seems like all of a sudden the USB ports on his PC dont' work. He has a
    >printer and a Logitech Webcam, as well as a Belkin USB hub, but none of them
    >seem to work. When the Lexmark printer and Logitech Cam are plugged into
    >the Belkin Hub, Windows does not see them, and when I plug the printer and
    >Cam directly in the USB ports in back of the PC, it still doesn't work.
    >
    >My dad said, that one night everything worked fine and the next night it
    >didn't, and that's all he knew.
    >
    >I have no idea what to do about this.
    >
    >Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks.

    Often the fix is go to Device Manager and delete all entries under
    Universal Serial Controllers and then reboot. The USB drivers
    (Controllers) will be automatically reinstalled at bootup.
    Edward W. Thompson, Sep 5, 2004
  4. tigercat

    Jerry G. Guest

    I have a feeling that the Sp2 is the problem. First go to the properties for
    My Computer and go to the Device Manager. Delete all the USB ports. Upon
    bootup, the machine should find them again, and they should work. If not,
    then uninstall Sp2 and see if they will work again. If so, then do not put
    Sp2 back in.

    If you made a recover point before installing Sp2, you may be able to
    recover the system back to before Sp2 was installed.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Sep 5, 2004
  5. tigercat

    tigercat Guest

    thanks to all of you, smoker, ed and jerry for your help. i also questioned
    my dad on why he installed SP2, and he said the windows update recommended
    it, so he thought it was ok.

    i will try your suggestions - thanks again!

    tigercat, Sep 5, 2004
  6. tigercat

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 11:35:35 -0400, tigercat wrote:

    >thanks to all of you, smoker, ed and jerry for your help. i also questioned
    >my dad on why he installed SP2, and he said the windows update recommended
    >it, so he thought it was ok.

    Don't forget that recommendation was from the same company that labelled
    an NT4 server update as an NT4 Terminal Server Cluster update once.
    Watching the broken cluster reports on NT mailing / buglists was
    interesting.

    >i will try your suggestions - thanks again!
    >

    >"Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    >> I have a feeling that the Sp2 is the problem. First go to the properties

    >for
    >> My Computer and go to the Device Manager. Delete all the USB ports. Upon
    >> bootup, the machine should find them again, and they should work. If not,

    <snip>

    >> "tigercat" <> wrote in message
    >> I was at my dad's today trying to help him with some computer problems,

    >but
    >> I didn't have much luck.
    >>
    >> He has an HP 2+ GHZ, 256 RAM, plenty of Disk Space running Win XP Home

    >SP2.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 5, 2004
  7. tigercat

    tigercat Guest

    ironic how updates are supposed to help and the windows software prompts you
    to install them, and then afterwards you're left with a humpty dumpty
    computer scenario. your point is well taken, thanks.

    tigercat, Sep 5, 2004
  8. tigercat

    Unknown Guest

    Everyone blames the update. The question is why. There are magnitudes of
    successful installs more than failures. And the final analysis almost 100% of
    the time will indicate the update was not to blame on those failures..

    Unknown, Sep 5, 2004
  9. tigercat

    Unknown Guest

    Your feeling is completely unfounded.

    Unknown, Sep 5, 2004
  10. tigercat

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 17:14:12 GMT, Unknown wrote:

    >Everyone blames the update. The question is why. There are magnitudes of
    >successful installs more than failures. And the final analysis almost 100% of
    >the time will indicate the update was not to blame on those failures..

    This would also include the MS patches for Blaster etc, that needed to
    be reissued twice? That's not a failure of installation but a fix to the
    patch itself. It's a trade off between 1st to put a patch on or wait to
    see what others report.

    The track history suggests reading posts in 24HSHD, the dedicated MS
    groups , the Security/Technet site and special bug watch lists. The
    issue there are most people are less aware of these resources for what
    every reason and end up having to rely on MS.

    >"tigercat" <> wrote in message
    >> ironic how updates are supposed to help and the windows software prompts you
    >> to install them, and then afterwards you're left with a humpty dumpty
    >> computer scenario. your point is well taken, thanks.
    >>

    >> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >> questioned

    >> recommended
    >>>
    >>> Don't forget that recommendation was from the same company that labelled
    >>> an NT4 server update as an NT4 Terminal Server Cluster update once.
    >>> Watching the broken cluster reports on NT mailing / buglists was
    >>> interesting.

    >> properties

    <snip>

    Me