    to how many USB ports you can add?

    Thanks,
    Ray

    Lunaray, Oct 17, 2007

  2. Lunaray

    JANA Guest

    Our server has 16 USB ports, because of all the devices we added.
    I am sure you can add a 4 port card on your computer.

    If you are using a scanner or devices that would not be real time sensitive
    for their operation, you can use a USB hub. This way you save the expansion
    slot in case one day you will need it for something important.

    If you are using USB devices such as a mouse, keyboard, or external hard
    drive, these types should not be used on a USB hub. A device such as a
    digital camera, printer, or scanner should work very well.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "Lunaray" <> wrote in message
    I'm using WinXP on a homebuilt PC (AsusMB) and I'm using all of my USB
    ports! I could add a PCI/USB card (I have one empty PCI slot) but I think
    I'll just get an external USB hub instead. My question is: is there a limit

    JANA, Oct 17, 2007

  3. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    "JANA" <> wrote in message
    > Our server has 16 USB ports, because of all the devices we added.
    > I am sure you can add a 4 port card on your computer.
    >
    > If you are using a scanner or devices that would not be real time
    > sensitive
    > for their operation, you can use a USB hub. This way you save the
    > expansion
    > slot in case one day you will need it for something important.
    >
    > If you are using USB devices such as a mouse, keyboard, or external hard
    > drive, these types should not be used on a USB hub. A device such as a
    > digital camera, printer, or scanner should work very well.
    >
    > --
    >
    > JANA
    > _____

    Thanks JANA,

    I will only use my resident USB ports for a keybord, a mouse, a printer, and
    an external harddrive, all other connections I need, i.e. digital camera,
    scanner, cell phone, etc., I'll plug into a hub. Is this the right
    approach?

    Thanks again,
    Ray

    Lunaray, Oct 17, 2007
  4. Lunaray

    Tee Jay Guest

    Lunaray wrote:
    > "JANA" <> wrote in message
    >> Our server has 16 USB ports, because of all the devices we added.
    >> I am sure you can add a 4 port card on your computer.
    >>
    >> If you are using a scanner or devices that would not be real time
    >> sensitive
    >> for their operation, you can use a USB hub. This way you save the
    >> expansion
    >> slot in case one day you will need it for something important.
    >>
    >> If you are using USB devices such as a mouse, keyboard, or external hard
    >> drive, these types should not be used on a USB hub. A device such as a
    >> digital camera, printer, or scanner should work very well.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> JANA
    >> _____

    > Thanks JANA,
    >
    > I will only use my resident USB ports for a keybord, a mouse, a printer, and
    > an external harddrive, all other connections I need, i.e. digital camera,
    > scanner, cell phone, etc., I'll plug into a hub. Is this the right
    > approach?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Ray

    Please get and use powered hubs as not to strain the power on the USB chain.
    Tee Jay

    Tee Jay, Oct 17, 2007
  5. Lunaray

    Jerry G. Guest

    That should work very well.

    --

    Jerry G.

    "Lunaray" <> wrote in message

    Jerry G., Oct 22, 2007
  6. Lunaray

    Jerry G. Guest

    That should work very well. Use a powered hub for best results. A
    powered hub makes it easier on the USB port that it is being bridged
    from.

    --

    Jerry G.

    "Lunaray" <> wrote in message

    Jerry G., Oct 22, 2007
  7. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > That should work very well. Use a powered hub for best results. A
    > powered hub makes it easier on the USB port that it is being bridged
    > from.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jerry G.

    Thanks Jerry G.