    I have run the installation disc and it tells me installation is finalised,
    but when plugging unit in the computer will not find it. Anyone know of a
    freebie program that is worth trying, or any ideas? Retailer is no help!

    Fred, Dec 19, 2004

  2. Fred

    PC Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have purchased a USB 2.0 HDD 20 GB plug in for retaining files etc.
    >Instructions state 'no driver necessary except for windows 98' A disc is
    >included. Plugs straight in to my xp computer and works perfectly. However
    >it will not operate on my win98 machine (2cnd edition)
    > I have run the installation disc and it tells me installation is
    > finalised, but when plugging unit in the computer will not find it. Anyone
    > know of a freebie program that is worth trying, or any ideas? Retailer is
    > no help!

    Are your USB ports turned 'on' in the Bios?

    Paul

    PC, Dec 19, 2004

  3. Fred

    Kenny Guest

    Also look in Device Manager to see if USB shows there OK. Did you restart
    after running the disc?

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Dec 19, 2004
  4. Fred

    EW Guest

    I had the same problem with mine. Your situation may be different, but I
    fixed my problem by going to the Control Panel, System icon, then right
    click on your flash drive (under drives). In any case, you should see the
    flash drive SOMEWHERE in the Control Panel. Anyway, when you right click on
    it, you'll probably see that it is not assigned a drive letter. Give it
    one, the next in sequence, and restart. This should clear it up. You can
    check by going to Windows Explorer and you should find it there. Worked for
    me several times. Good luck.

    EW

    EW, Dec 19, 2004
  5. Fred

    Fred Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > Also look in Device Manager to see if USB shows there OK. Did you restart
    > after running the disc?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Kenny>
    >>
    >> Are your USB ports turned 'on' in the Bios?
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    > USB shows in Device mngr. Restarted after running disc. Also camera,
    > scanner etc work fine from USB port.

    Don't know how to check for on in BIOS.

    Many thanks for help - but not there yet.

    Fred, Dec 20, 2004
  6. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Ta. But no system icon in control panel. If you mean my computer - doesn't
    show there either.

    Fred, Dec 20, 2004
  7. Fred

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message

    | > "PC" <> wrote in message
    | >>
    | >> "Fred" <> wrote in message
    | > However
    | > Anyone
    Retailer
    | > is
    | >

    | "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    | > Also look in Device Manager to see if USB shows there OK. Did you
    restart
    | > after running the disc?
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Kenny>
    | >>
    | >> Are your USB ports turned 'on' in the Bios?
    | >>
    | >> Paul
    | >>

    | > USB shows in Device mngr. Restarted after running disc. Also camera,
    | > scanner etc work fine from USB port.
    | Don't know how to check for on in BIOS.
    |
    | Many thanks for help - but not there yet.

    Well, let me ask you this: do you have any other USB devices on the Win98
    system that *are* (or have been previously) working? That would indicate
    whether or not your USB ports are enabled in BIOS. I keep a USB mouse around
    just for that purpose...checking to see if the ports are working.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 20, 2004
  8. Fred

    Toolman Tim Guest

    The "System " icon in the control panel is the icon that allows you to
    'manage' your Win98 computer. You really *should* have a "System" icon in
    Control Panel. If you don't you have bigger problems than just your USB
    drive...

    The other place to go to get to your system management is to right-click on
    "My Computer" and select "Properties". Or there was a keyboard
    shortcut...just a sec...let me look that up...Winkey + Break. Then click on
    the devices tab at the top. Then look through each line for anything with a
    yellow exclamation point.

    In the past, I've had to delete the entire USB structure - one at a time,
    then set it up again. Make sure you know exactly what your hardware is, and
    that you have all the drivers available before doing that though.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 20, 2004
  9. Fred

    Guest

    Your "Win 98" actually Win98SE?? If not that is probably source of
    problems.

    LB

    Fred wrote:

    > Ta. But no system icon in control panel. If you mean my computer - doesn't
    > show there either.
    >
    > "EW" <> wrote in message
    > >I had the same problem with mine. Your situation may be different, but I
    > >fixed my problem by going to the Control Panel, System icon, then right
    > >click on your flash drive (under drives). In any case, you should see the
    > >flash drive SOMEWHERE in the Control Panel. Anyway, when you right click
    > >on it, you'll probably see that it is not assigned a drive letter. Give it
    > >one, the next in sequence, and restart. This should clear it up. You can
    > >check by going to Windows Explorer and you should find it there. Worked
    > >for me several times. Good luck.
    > >
    > > EW
    > >
    > > "Fred" <> wrote in message
    > >>I have purchased a USB 2.0 HDD 20 GB plug in for retaining files etc.
    > >>Instructions state 'no driver necessary except for windows 98' A disc is
    > >>included. Plugs straight in to my xp computer and works perfectly.
    > >>However it will not operate on my win98 machine (2cnd edition)
    > >> I have run the installation disc and it tells me installation is
    > >> finalised, but when plugging unit in the computer will not find it.
    > >> Anyone know of a freebie program that is worth trying, or any ideas?
    > >> Retailer is no help!

    , Dec 20, 2004
  10. Fred

    Fred Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Fred" <> wrote in message
    > |

    > | > "PC" <> wrote in message

    > etc.
    > disc
    > is
    > | > However
    > | > Anyone
    > Retailer
    > | > is
    > | >

    > | "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > | > Also look in Device Manager to see if USB shows there OK. Did you
    > restart
    > | > after running the disc?
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | >
    > | > Kenny>

    > | > USB shows in Device mngr. Restarted after running disc. Also camera,
    > | > scanner etc work fine from USB port.
    > | Don't know how to check for on in BIOS.
    > |
    > | Many thanks for help - but not there yet.
    > |
    > Well, let me ask you this: do you have any other USB devices on the Win98
    > system that *are* (or have been previously) working? That would indicate
    > whether or not your USB ports are enabled in BIOS. I keep a USB mouse
    > around
    > just for that purpose...checking to see if the ports are working.

    Yep camera, mouse, scanner, printer all work fine from usb port.

    Fred, Dec 20, 2004
  11. Fred

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    <snipped>

    | > Well, let me ask you this: do you have any other USB devices on the
    Win98
    | > system that *are* (or have been previously) working? That would indicate
    | > whether or not your USB ports are enabled in BIOS. I keep a USB mouse
    | > around
    | > just for that purpose...checking to see if the ports are working.
    |
    | Yep camera, mouse, scanner, printer all work fine from usb port.

    Okay - good - no sense in messing with the USB drivers or BIOS then. Did you
    get into the device manager to see if your USB drive hardware is listed
    anywhere?

    Toolman Tim, Dec 20, 2004
  12. Fred

    Gil Guest

    I used a driver found at www.usb98driver.com

    It worked for my LEXAR drive.

    Gil

    Gil, Dec 23, 2004
  13. Fred

    docmill Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in news::

    > I have purchased a USB 2.0 HDD 20 GB plug in for retaining files etc.
    > Instructions state 'no driver necessary except for windows 98' A disc
    > is included. Plugs straight in to my xp computer and works perfectly.
    > However it will not operate on my win98 machine (2cnd edition)
    > I have run the installation disc and it tells me installation is
    > finalised, but when plugging unit in the computer will not find it.
    > Anyone know of a freebie program that is worth trying, or any ideas?
    > Retailer is no help!

    Win98 / SE doesn't support 2.0.
    There is a driver here that may work.

    ftp://www.siig.com/USB2.0_v2.06.exe