    Is it just that I have a bad phone, or are they all like this?

    Thanks.

    OM

    OM, Oct 31, 2005

  2. On 30 Oct 2005 21:04:39 -0800, "OM" <> wrote:

    >Is it just that I have a bad phone, or are they all like this?

    its not a phone, now is it. Its a USB sound card device. So the
    quality of sound may be as much to do with the software and service
    you are using as with the audio interface you have added. What are
    they ?

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))

    Phil Thompson, Oct 31, 2005

  3. OM

    OM Guest

    > its not a phone, now is it. Its a USB sound card device. So the
    > quality of sound may be as much to do with the software and service
    > you are using as with the audio interface you have added. What are
    > they ?

    hmmm... well i'm using skype.
    the phone: you just plug it in and away you go! no other software or
    drivers needed.
    (there is another bit of software that you can have that connects the
    phone to skype.)

    the machine i have is a dell p4 with standard sound card.

    OM, Oct 31, 2005
  4. On 31 Oct 2005 06:23:45 -0800, "OM" <> wrote:

    >hmmm... well i'm using skype.
    >the phone: you just plug it in and away you go! no other software or
    >drivers needed.

    other than skype, presumably.

    The crappy audio is probably down to the weak bandwidth used by skype.

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))

    Phil Thompson, Oct 31, 2005
  5. OM

    Nick Guest

    "OM" <> wrote in message
    > > its not a phone, now is it. Its a USB sound card device. So the
    > > quality of sound may be as much to do with the software and service
    > > you are using as with the audio interface you have added. What are
    > > they ?

    > hmmm... well i'm using skype.
    > the phone: you just plug it in and away you go! no other software or
    > drivers needed.
    > (there is another bit of software that you can have that connects the
    > phone to skype.)
    >
    > the machine i have is a dell p4 with standard sound card.

    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

    Phil explained that you have a USB sound card.

    Nick, Oct 31, 2005
  6. OM

    themgt Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 21:04:39 -0800, OM wrote:

    > I've just got a USB phone.
    > And it's rubbish!
    > OK... I can hear the other person and the other person can hear me.
    > But the sound uality is amazingly poor.
    > The make of the phone is Waitec... but I've seeen several phones
    > exactly the same looking under different badges.
    >
    > Is it just that I have a bad phone, or are they all like this?

    I've got a Yamamoto badged one connected to the kids' machine and it's
    working fine. The only software that came with it was for Skype but
    http://www.yealink.com/english/support.htm has software for X-lite,
    Voipbuster and Net2Phone. I've seen the same phone badged as Yamamoto, US
    Robotics, Waitec and Yealink.

    themgt, Oct 31, 2005
  7. No they are not all like this, you have to be very careful....

    I can recommend two USB devices, the first is a hardwired CyberphoneK
    (www.voipvoice.com) and the second a DECT cordless USB phone primarily aimed
    at Skype called the Dualphone (www.dualphone.net). I also use a USB
    plantronics headset (USB45 I think).

    Using either of these devices on a Skype to Skype call the audio quality is
    awesome, I have heard nothing in 25 years of telecoms that comes close....
    yet! The Dualphone in particular is so good and does 16kbit sampling.

    I have bog standard onboard USB2 ports on both Asrock and gigabyte
    motherboards.

    Regards,

    Paul

    Paul Westwell, Oct 31, 2005
  8. What crappy bandwidth are you referring to ?

    Do you know what bandwidth skype uses, what CODECS?

    Regards,

    Paul

    Paul Westwell, Oct 31, 2005
  9. If the Waitec is the Yamamoto then I have played with one of these devices.

    Compared to another hardwired USB phone like the CyberphoneK using Skype
    then if I rated the Cyberphone 10/10 I would give the Yamamoto 5/10.

    I did exchange a number of emails with Yamamoto on this subject some three
    months ago and gave the phone away eventually as the audio was disappointing
    when compared to what I had become used to.

    Regards,

    Paul

    Paul Westwell, Oct 31, 2005
  10. On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:28:14 GMT, "Paul Westwell" <>
    wrote:

    >What crappy bandwidth are you referring to ?
    >Do you know what bandwidth skype uses

    when I attempted to use it the bandwidth it used was about 6-8 kbits/s
    it was like using a phone with one of the wires intermittently
    disconnecting.

    At least if something that uses 100 kbits/s hits a rough patch on the
    internet there are plenty of packets getting through to make the call
    workable. Start off with a weak little data stream and you don't have
    to lose much for it to be rubbish, and rubbish it was.

    > what CODECS?

    whatever proprietary thing it uses, it offers no obvious options.

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))

    Phil Thompson, Oct 31, 2005
  11. On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Paul Westwell blurted out atop a fullquote:

    > Do you know what bandwidth skype uses, what CODECS?

    I know nothing more than what I've learned on this group very
    recently, specifically a cited PDF report. Maybe you could try it
    yourself - usenet groups aren't supposed to be write-only. (A bit
    more reading might help you to understand how to follow-up properly
    on usenet, too.)

    good luck, bye for now.

    Alan J. Flavell, Oct 31, 2005
  12. OM

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Paul Westwell" <> wrote in message
    > What crappy bandwidth are you referring to ?
    >
    > Do you know what bandwidth skype uses, what CODECS?

    Bandwidth, I don't know, I haven't checked recently. Codec, proprietary.
    Nobody except Skype know the full details.

    Ivor
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    Ivor Jones, Oct 31, 2005
  13. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > Bandwidth, I don't know, I haven't checked recently. Codec, proprietary.
    > Nobody except Skype know the full details.

    The Skype sound engine is powered by Global IP Sound and is not proprietary.
    The following link decribes the GIPS engine
    http://www.globalipsound.com/datasheets/VoiceEngine.pdf

    Regards,

    Paul

    Paul Westwell, Oct 31, 2005
  14. OM

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-10-31, Paul Westwell <> wrote:

    > The Skype sound engine is powered by Global IP Sound and is not proprietary.
    > The following link decribes the GIPS engine
    > http://www.globalipsound.com/datasheets/VoiceEngine.pdf

    That document is not particularily enlightening on whether the codecs
    employed by the GIPS VoiceEngine are proprietary or not. For the iLBC
    codec at least, the link to ilbcfreeware from here is informative:

    http://www.globalipsound.com/solutions/solutions_Codecs.php

    As the source code for the iLBC codec is published and its license
    grants, among other things, royalty-free use, this codec could be argued
    to be non-proprietary. The status of the iSAC codec, which Skype is
    rumoured to use, is much clearer. No source code is available and the
    way it integrates with other components of VoiceEngine is not explained
    in any detail. I cannot see how the Global IP Sound product is not
    proprietary.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 1, 2005
  15. OM

    OM Guest

    > You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
    >
    > Phil explained that you have a USB sound card.

    a bit harsh for u to say that. : p

    usb sound card?
    what's that?

    OM, Nov 1, 2005
  16. OM

    Ken Ward Guest

    Ken Ward, Nov 2, 2005
  17. OM

    Doz Guest

    It's not exactly a "card" but a USB device that produces sound.. eg. USB
    phone.
    No soundcard needed in the PC as the USB device is a sound"card"...

    http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=9103

    Doz, Nov 2, 2005
  18. OM

    Doz Guest

    I agree, the USB Cyberphone(K) is superb. ( with or without skype)

    Doz, Nov 2, 2005
  19. OM

    alexd Guest

    Paul Westwell wrote:

    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Bandwidth, I don't know, I haven't checked recently. Codec, proprietary.
    >> Nobody except Skype know the full details.

    > The Skype sound engine is powered by Global IP Sound and is not
    > proprietary. The following link decribes the GIPS engine
    > http://www.globalipsound.com/datasheets/VoiceEngine.pdf

    Whether or not it's proprietary is debatable, however, the only way it is
    usable is with the binary-only Skype software which makes it pretty useless
    as part of a broader telecoms system. Of course, if you happen to know more
    about it than anyone else, you can always write a Skype channel driver for
    Asterisk and claim yourself US$1545

    http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=bounty skype

    eBay seem a little bit more enlightened when it comes to opening up APIs and
    interfaces to developers, so who knows, maybe they'll reveal all?

    [/me pictures everyone at eBay HQ calling each other on cheap'n'nasty USB
    'phones'...]

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    08:33:45 up 1 day, 12:08, 3 users, load average: 0.59, 0.33, 0.26

    alexd, Nov 4, 2005
  20. "alexd" <> wrote in message news:...

    >> http://www.globalipsound.com/datasheets/VoiceEngine.pdf

    > Whether or not it's proprietary is debatable, however, the only way it is
    > usable is with the binary-only Skype software which makes it pretty
    > useless
    > as part of a broader telecoms system.

    I believe voipbuster is also powered by the same/similar engine.

    Regards,

    Paul

    Paul Westwell, Nov 5, 2005