  1. I've tried two USB phones and they're both rubbish which is annoying :(

    Ermm they both said skype but I'm just using with www.voip.co.uk software on
    the computer
    Stephen Hammond, Feb 25, 2007

  2. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 25, 2007

  3. Stephen Hammond

    Jon Farmer Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

    > USB phones are toys for the kids.
    >
    > They are just a cheap and crappy soundcard with mic and speaker in a
    > piece of moulded plastic.

    I was at Von Europe in Berlin last November where T-Mobile gave
    delegates free WiFi for the duration of the conference. In the
    refreshment area I was the only one using x-lite and a USB handset to
    make calls back to the office and to other people I need to call at
    on-net or very low rates. The other delegates all on their mobiles and
    probably paying huge roaming rates looked rather embarrased when they
    caught my eye and realised they were at a VoIP/Convergence conference
    and not using the technology they came to peddle.

    Regards

    Jon
    Jon Farmer, Feb 25, 2007
  4. Stephen Hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:48:14 +0000, Jon Farmer <>
    wrote:

    >{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >
    >> USB phones are toys for the kids.
    >>
    >> They are just a cheap and crappy soundcard with mic and speaker in a
    >> piece of moulded plastic.

    >I was at Von Europe in Berlin last November where T-Mobile gave
    >delegates free WiFi for the duration of the conference. In the
    >refreshment area I was the only one using x-lite and a USB handset to
    >make calls back to the office and to other people I need to call at
    >on-net or very low rates. The other delegates all on their mobiles and
    >probably paying huge roaming rates looked rather embarrased when they
    >caught my eye and realised they were at a VoIP/Convergence conference
    >and not using the technology they came to peddle.

    If you are wedded to using a soft phone then you could try a bluetooth
    headset. I use a Jabra BT200, I think it cost me about £16 inc
    postage.It performs very well indeed. I have tried it with a softphone
    and people say that it is good. I already had a bluetooth dongle
    because I use that for transferring podcasts to my mobile phone.
    Installing bluetooth dongles , particularly for audio, can be a
    b****r. I have found the best way to get them working is to delete the
    Win XP bluetooth stack from the registry and install another - such as
    Toshiba. XP does not inherently support bluetooth audio.

    However, I think that many, in this group, would agree that if you
    invest in a good ATA you are unlikely to regret it. A one off cost and
    then you can use voip.co.uk without the need to switch on your
    computer. If you don't need to integrate a landline then something
    like the SPA-1001 is a good option. For travel though you might just
    prefer a voip phone. If you need advice re an ATA please ask.
    Of course, I do realise that, for connections reasons, you are
    sometimes compelled to use a softphone - in that case I'd go for a
    bluetooth headset set up.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Feb 25, 2007
  5. Stephen Hammond

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Jon Farmer wrote:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >
    >> USB phones are toys for the kids.
    >>
    >> They are just a cheap and crappy soundcard with mic and speaker in a
    >> piece of moulded plastic.

    > I was at Von Europe in Berlin last November where T-Mobile gave
    > delegates free WiFi for the duration of the conference. In the
    > refreshment area I was the only one using x-lite and a USB handset to
    > make calls back to the office and to other people I need to call at
    > on-net or very low rates. The other delegates all on their mobiles and
    > probably paying huge roaming rates looked rather embarrased when they
    > caught my eye and realised they were at a VoIP/Convergence conference
    > and not using the technology they came to peddle.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Jon

    Maybe they were all using dual mode wifi/gsm phones thinking "look at
    that guy tied to his laptop with a usb phone"? ;)

    cheers,
    Paul.
    Paul Hayes, Feb 26, 2007
  6. Stephen Hammond

    Tim Guest

    Paul Hayes wrote:

    > Maybe they were all using dual mode wifi/gsm phones thinking "look at
    > that guy tied to his laptop with a usb phone"? ;)

    There were an awful lot of people at Von doing just that with Truphone
    enabled mobiles.

    Tim
    Tim, Feb 26, 2007
  7. Stephen Hammond

    Jon Farmer Guest

    Tim wrote:

    > There were an awful lot of people at Von doing just that with Truphone
    > enabled mobiles.

    Well I did here some English speaking callers saying "I have to go now
    as I am roaming"

    Regards

    Jon
    Jon Farmer, Feb 26, 2007
  8. Stephen Hammond

    Jon Farmer Guest

    Paul Hayes wrote:

    > Maybe they were all using dual mode wifi/gsm phones thinking "look at
    > that guy tied to his laptop with a usb phone"? ;)

    Maybe I can't detect embarrassment then ;-)

    Regards

    Jon
    Jon Farmer, Feb 26, 2007
  9. Stephen Hammond

    mr deo Guest

    "Jon Farmer" <> wrote in message
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >
    > > USB phones are toys for the kids.
    > >
    > > They are just a cheap and crappy soundcard with mic and speaker in a
    > > piece of moulded plastic.

    > I was at Von Europe in Berlin last November where T-Mobile gave
    > delegates free WiFi for the duration of the conference. In the
    > refreshment area I was the only one using x-lite and a USB handset to
    > make calls back to the office and to other people I need to call at
    > on-net or very low rates. The other delegates all on their mobiles and
    > probably paying huge roaming rates looked rather embarrased when they
    > caught my eye and realised they were at a VoIP/Convergence conference
    > and not using the technology they came to peddle.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Jon

    Either that or they were using wi-fi enabled mobiles and the associated
    software to make free calls over wi-fi networks... so they were wondering
    why you were so far behind in times ;)
    mr deo, Mar 1, 2007