    http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=p4k&Category_Code=

    http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=b2k&Category_Code=SB

    TIA
    Mutley, May 6, 2006

  2. In <> Mutley wrote:
    > I discovered the wonderful world of Skype this week when I used it to
    > talk to my daughter on her cell phone in Jamaica using a DSE USB
    > handset. The speech quality was far better than what I had expected
    > from a crappy NZ 256K adsl circuit . No delay like when I call her
    > from my telecom phone. Just like talking to some one local. Test
    > calls back to my NZ number did have some delay.
    >
    > I now a convert.
    >
    > Question: Is there available in NZ a desk top USB phone that will work
    > with Skype or a analog/USB phone adaptor like this one in the links
    > below available here in NZ??
    >
    > http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_
    > Code=p4k&Category_Code=
    >
    > http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_
    > Code=b2k&Category_Code=SB
    >
    > TIA

    The web server those links point to is down at the moment, but this NZ
    site looks like they sell just what you're after:
    http://www.skypeshop.co.nz/

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, May 6, 2006

  3. Mutley

    XPD Guest

    "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    >I discovered the wonderful world of Skype this week when I used it to
    > talk to my daughter on her cell phone in Jamaica using a DSE USB
    > handset. The speech quality was far better than what I had expected
    > from a crappy NZ 256K adsl circuit . No delay like when I call her
    > from my telecom phone. Just like talking to some one local. Test
    > calls back to my NZ number did have some delay.
    >
    > I now a convert.
    >
    > Question: Is there available in NZ a desk top USB phone that will work
    > with Skype or a analog/USB phone adaptor like this one in the links
    > below available here in NZ??
    >
    > http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=p4k&Category_Code=
    >
    > http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=b2k&Category_Code=SB
    >
    > TIA

    Yeha there is but cant remember exactly where I saw them.... think maybe
    PBTech was one place.... just do a search on Pricespy for Skype :)
    XPD, May 6, 2006

    Here is what I use: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5174

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], May 6, 2006
  5. Mutley

    David Guest

    On Sat, 6 May 2006 17:10:29 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    >>I discovered the wonderful world of Skype this week when I used it to
    >> talk to my daughter on her cell phone in Jamaica using a DSE USB
    >> handset. The speech quality was far better than what I had expected
    >> from a crappy NZ 256K adsl circuit . No delay like when I call her
    >> from my telecom phone. Just like talking to some one local. Test
    >> calls back to my NZ number did have some delay.
    >>
    >> I now a convert.
    >>
    >> Question: Is there available in NZ a desk top USB phone that will work
    >> with Skype or a analog/USB phone adaptor like this one in the links
    >> below available here in NZ??
    >>
    >> http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=p4k&Category_Code=
    >>
    >> http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=b2k&Category_Code=SB
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Here is what I use: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5174

    Heaps on TradeMe - for as little as $26.60

    David
    David, May 6, 2006
  6. Mutley

    David Guest

    On Sat, 6 May 2006 17:34:54 +1200, David wrote:

    > Heaps on TradeMe - for as little as $26.60

    Adaptors, that is (at that price)! Also plenty of USB phones etc.

    David
    David, May 6, 2006
  7. Yes... Adapters are cheap - the Dualphone is a landline (POTS) and Skype
    (USB) phone. And cordless (300m range). So much better...

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], May 6, 2006
  8. Mutley

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Mutley <> wrote in

    > Question: Is there available in NZ a desk top USB phone that will work
    > with Skype or a analog/USB phone adaptor like this one in the links
    > below available here in NZ??

    Check out South Island Components, they have a cordless analog skype combo.
    http://www.sicom.co.nz/skype-cordless-2in1-internet-telephone-
    xidp111943.html

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 6, 2006
  9. Mutley

    TakeME Brett Guest

    Re: USB phone adaptor for Skype in NZ??

    Can these phones work with google talk or other voip providers?

    Can I have more than one phone operating on the network at one time?

    and great subject. thanks
    TakeME Brett, May 6, 2006
  10. John in Surrey, May 6, 2006
  11. Mutley

    GJ Guest

    Mutley wrote:
    > I discovered the wonderful world of Skype this week when I used it to
    > talk to my daughter on her cell phone in Jamaica using a DSE USB
    > handset. The speech quality was far better than what I had expected
    > from a crappy NZ 256K adsl circuit . No delay like when I call her
    > from my telecom phone. Just like talking to some one local. Test
    > calls back to my NZ number did have some delay.
    >
    > I now a convert.
    >
    > Question: Is there available in NZ a desk top USB phone that will work
    > with Skype or a analog/USB phone adaptor like this one in the links
    > below available here in NZ??
    >
    > http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=p4k&Category_Code=
    >
    > http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=b2k&Category_Code=SB
    >
    > TIA

    I saw the latest flyer from JAYCAR had one for sale in their latest
    flyer - http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=XC4964

    They also had pink toolkits for sale. I showed it to a coworker thinking
    she, as a sensible woman, would scorn it but she said " oooh cute. At
    least my boyfriend wont take my tools now."

    Happy skyping.

    Gavin
    GJ, May 6, 2006
  12. Re: USB phone adaptor for Skype in NZ??

    TakeME Brett wrote:
    > Can these phones work with google talk or other voip providers?
    >
    > Can I have more than one phone operating on the network at one time?

    If you want to use the phone with other providers, then you'd be better
    off with a standards-compliant phone/adaptor, as Skype uses a
    proprietary protocol.

    I use a SIP adaptor (Linksys PAP2) with the Slingshot iTalk service.

    Because I don't use Skype, I haven't looked, but you may be able to get
    a Skype protocol addin for the Asterisk PBX, and connect to it that way
    from a SIP or other VoIP phone.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, May 6, 2006
  13. Mutley

    Mutley Guest

    "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <> wrote:

    >"Mutley" <> wrote in message
    >>I discovered the wonderful world of Skype this week when I used it to
    >> talk to my daughter on her cell phone in Jamaica using a DSE USB
    >> handset. The speech quality was far better than what I had expected
    >> from a crappy NZ 256K adsl circuit . No delay like when I call her
    >> from my telecom phone. Just like talking to some one local. Test
    >> calls back to my NZ number did have some delay.
    >>
    >> I now a convert.
    >>
    >> Question: Is there available in NZ a desk top USB phone that will work
    >> with Skype or a analog/USB phone adaptor like this one in the links
    >> below available here in NZ??
    >>
    >> http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=p4k&Category_Code=
    >>
    >> http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=b2k&Category_Code=SB
    >>
    >> TIA

    >Here is what I use: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5174

    I looked at those but they want gold for them around $240
    Mutley, May 7, 2006
  14. Mutley

    Mutley Guest

    David <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 6 May 2006 17:10:29 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    >>>I discovered the wonderful world of Skype this week when I used it to
    >>> talk to my daughter on her cell phone in Jamaica using a DSE USB
    >>> handset. The speech quality was far better than what I had expected
    >>> from a crappy NZ 256K adsl circuit . No delay like when I call her
    >>> from my telecom phone. Just like talking to some one local. Test
    >>> calls back to my NZ number did have some delay.
    >>>
    >>> I now a convert.
    >>>
    >>> Question: Is there available in NZ a desk top USB phone that will work
    >>> with Skype or a analog/USB phone adaptor like this one in the links
    >>> below available here in NZ??
    >>>
    >>> http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=p4k&Category_Code=
    >>>
    >>> http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=b2k&Category_Code=SB
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> Here is what I use: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5174

    >Heaps on TradeMe - for as little as $26.60
    >
    >David

    They are just USB handsets that I have already bought..
    Mutley, May 7, 2006
  15. Mutley

    Mutley Guest

    Roger Johnstone <> wrote:

    >In <> Mutley wrote:
    >> I discovered the wonderful world of Skype this week when I used it to
    >> talk to my daughter on her cell phone in Jamaica using a DSE USB
    >> handset. The speech quality was far better than what I had expected
    >> from a crappy NZ 256K adsl circuit . No delay like when I call her
    >> from my telecom phone. Just like talking to some one local. Test
    >> calls back to my NZ number did have some delay.
    >>
    >> I now a convert.
    >>
    >> Question: Is there available in NZ a desk top USB phone that will work
    >> with Skype or a analog/USB phone adaptor like this one in the links
    >> below available here in NZ??
    >>
    >> http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_
    >> Code=p4k&Category_Code=
    >>
    >> http://www.skypomania.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_
    >> Code=b2k&Category_Code=SB
    >>
    >> TIA

    >The web server those links point to is down at the moment, but this NZ
    >site looks like they sell just what you're after:
    >http://www.skypeshop.co.nz/

    Thanx.. That is what I was looking for :)
    Mutley, May 7, 2006
  16. Mutley

    David Guest

    On Sun, 07 May 2006 11:31:25 +1200, Mutley wrote:

    > David <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 6 May 2006 17:10:29 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Mutley" <> wrote in message

    >>> Here is what I use: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5174

    >>Heaps on TradeMe - for as little as $26.60
    >>
    >>David

    > They are just USB handsets that I have already bought..

    No.

    What I was referring to are adaptors that allow you to use an existing (or
    any other standard analogue) phone for both PSTN & Skype calls.

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Phone-fax/Other/auction-55677447.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Phone-fax/Other/auction-55851615.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Phone-fax/Other/auction-55956290.htm

    ie. Can use an existing DECT phone or similar.

    David
    David, May 7, 2006
  17. Mutley

    Mutley Guest

    David <> wrote:

    >>>Heaps on TradeMe - for as little as $26.60
    >>>
    >>>David

    >> They are just USB handsets that I have already bought..

    >No.
    >
    >What I was referring to are adaptors that allow you to use an existing (or
    >any other standard analogue) phone for both PSTN & Skype calls.
    >
    >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Phone-fax/Other/auction-55677447.htm
    >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Phone-fax/Other/auction-55851615.htm
    >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Phone-fax/Other/auction-55956290.htm
    >
    >ie. Can use an existing DECT phone or similar.
    >
    >David

    Thanx David.

    That is the item I want... I just bought one from Skypeshop in CH
    Mutley, May 7, 2006
  18. Mutley

    Richard Guest

    David wrote:
    > On Sat, 6 May 2006 17:34:54 +1200, David wrote:
    >
    >>Heaps on TradeMe - for as little as $26.60

    > Adaptors, that is (at that price)! Also plenty of USB phones etc.
    >
    > David

    Just be aware that the cheap crap adaptors make echo for the person at the other
    end of the call because they dont balance 100% up to all phones.

    Best is to either get the dualphone or else the siemens dect phone that has the
    USB adaptor so that the signal never has to make it thru the analog domain on
    its way to the phone.
    Richard, May 7, 2006
  19. Mutley

    Richard Guest

    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Phone-fax/Other/auction-55677447.htm
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Phone-fax/Other/auction-55851615.htm
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Phone-fax/Other/auction-55956290.htm

    The $26 one connects to your soundcard, so it will tie that up when you are
    using the phone, and there is no mention of the phone being able to pick up and
    dial or to ring on incoming calls so I would assume a no to both of those.

    Not even all the USB ones let you get dialtone, dial or even make the phone
    ring on an incoming call, they just rely on playing ringing on the PC speakers
    the default skype way to get your attention.
    Richard, May 7, 2006
  20. Mutley

    TakeME Brett Guest

    Re: USB phone adaptor for Skype in NZ??

    I am getting Slingshot today (I hope) and so I am looking at what your
    geeking on about with the
    http://scottstuff.net/blog/articles/2004/09/20/linksys-pap2-sip-adapter-with-asterisk
    as this relates to me.

    Where did you get your PAP2? Was it provided by slingshot?
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...ite=US&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

    And then you running Asterisk PBX on top of that,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk_PBX
    Well that's the 2nd new thing to me. Wow cool, is a telephone exchange
    that runs on my computer. Have you connected you normal phoneline to
    this pbx?

    I don't really want to use skype as it's useing bandwidth eating p2p
    like bandwidth.
    TakeME Brett, May 8, 2006