    shouldn't be bad. The drivers from the CD supplied with the card are
    installed. I wonder what else the problem could be? There is no brand
    name on the card.

    mcp6453, Aug 11, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Brian Guest

    "mcp6453" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:...
    > Both of my USB ports on my IBM 6579 computer are in use, so I added a
    > 5-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The drivers for the card are installed, and
    > there are no exclamation points in Device Manager. My HP scanner works
    > fine connected to one of the original USB ports. However, when I move it
    > to one of the new ports on the PCI card, I get a yellow exclamation
    > point for a USB device in Device Manager. The card is new, so it
    > shouldn't be bad. The drivers from the CD supplied with the card are
    > installed. I wonder what else the problem could be? There is no brand
    > name on the card.

    the driver is pointing to your human interface device (1.1 probably) on
    board. reboot the pc and new hardware should be detected from windows.
    reinstall the drivers for your scanner.

    Brian, Aug 11, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    Lith Ium Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Both of my USB ports on my IBM 6579 computer are in use, so I added a
    > 5-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The drivers for the card are installed, and
    > there are no exclamation points in Device Manager. My HP scanner works
    > fine connected to one of the original USB ports. However, when I move it
    > to one of the new ports on the PCI card, I get a yellow exclamation
    > point for a USB device in Device Manager. The card is new, so it
    > shouldn't be bad. The drivers from the CD supplied with the card are
    > installed. I wonder what else the problem could be? There is no brand
    > name on the card.

    The fact that there was no brand name is usually bad. I'm not saying
    generic cards don't work better than brand name, I'm just saying that
    there's very little support for unidentifiable cards. You can never
    disallow the possibility that the card is bad. Talk to the
    manufacturer.

    Lith Ium, Aug 11, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > Both of my USB ports on my IBM 6579 computer are in use, so I added a
    > 5-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The drivers for the card are installed, and
    > there are no exclamation points in Device Manager. My HP scanner works
    > fine connected to one of the original USB ports. However, when I move it
    > to one of the new ports on the PCI card, I get a yellow exclamation
    > point for a USB device in Device Manager. The card is new, so it
    > shouldn't be bad. The drivers from the CD supplied with the card are
    > installed. I wonder what else the problem could be? There is no brand
    > name on the card.

    What does the warning message say? You need to look at the properties for
    the USB device and see what the warning is. It's possible that the scanner
    driver is not recognizing the device when connected to a different USB
    controller, and you may need to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them
    with the scanner connected to the new controller. Some USB devices do not
    cope well with being arbitrarily moved to a different controller or root
    hub. Also, if it's a no-name card, you should check the chipset on the card
    and see who makes it. If it is VIA, I'd toss it in the trash and get a
    belkin card which uses an NEC controller chip. VIA's chip has the worst USB
    implementation and compliance, and is the most commonly used on so-called
    "no name" cards.

    Thor, Aug 11, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > > Both of my USB ports on my IBM 6579 computer are in use, so I added a
    > > 5-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The drivers for the card are installed, and
    > > there are no exclamation points in Device Manager. My HP scanner works
    > > fine connected to one of the original USB ports. However, when I move it
    > > to one of the new ports on the PCI card, I get a yellow exclamation
    > > point for a USB device in Device Manager. The card is new, so it
    > > shouldn't be bad. The drivers from the CD supplied with the card are
    > > installed. I wonder what else the problem could be? There is no brand
    > > name on the card.

    > What does the warning message say? You need to look at the properties for
    > the USB device and see what the warning is. It's possible that the scanner
    > driver is not recognizing the device when connected to a different USB
    > controller, and you may need to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them
    > with the scanner connected to the new controller. Some USB devices do not
    > cope well with being arbitrarily moved to a different controller or root
    > hub. Also, if it's a no-name card, you should check the chipset on the card
    > and see who makes it. If it is VIA, I'd toss it in the trash and get a
    > belkin card which uses an NEC controller chip. VIA's chip has the worst USB
    > implementation and compliance, and is the most commonly used on so-called
    > "no name" cards.

    It's VIA. Guess I'll trash it.

    mcp6453, Aug 11, 2004
  6. mcp6453

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > > Both of my USB ports on my IBM 6579 computer are in use, so I added a
    > > 5-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The drivers for the card are installed, and
    > > there are no exclamation points in Device Manager. My HP scanner works
    > > fine connected to one of the original USB ports. However, when I move it
    > > to one of the new ports on the PCI card, I get a yellow exclamation
    > > point for a USB device in Device Manager. The card is new, so it
    > > shouldn't be bad. The drivers from the CD supplied with the card are
    > > installed. I wonder what else the problem could be? There is no brand
    > > name on the card.

    > What does the warning message say? You need to look at the properties for
    > the USB device and see what the warning is. It's possible that the scanner
    > driver is not recognizing the device when connected to a different USB
    > controller, and you may need to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them
    > with the scanner connected to the new controller. Some USB devices do not
    > cope well with being arbitrarily moved to a different controller or root
    > hub. Also, if it's a no-name card, you should check the chipset on the

    card
    > and see who makes it. If it is VIA, I'd toss it in the trash and get a
    > belkin card which uses an NEC controller chip. VIA's chip has the worst

    USB
    > implementation and compliance, and is the most commonly used on so-called
    > "no name" cards.

    I just installed a bunch of USB2 cards in my machines, they all had NEC
    chips and I didn't have problems with any. I needed USB2 support for a
    couple of external hard drives I just set up. 2 cases didn't have ports on
    the front so I bought a 3.5" card reader that had a USB port in it and it
    connected to the internal port on the add in card. The internal port is just
    that, a standard USB port. The card reader came with a short USB cable to
    connect with. Works better than having to reach around the back of the
    machine or run an extension cable.

    I had another case that had USB ports up front but no USB2 native support
    and found a USB2 card on Newegg that has 2 external and 1 internal port.
    This time though, the internal ports are pins, such as you find on your
    motherboard. It's the only such card I've seen that has pin-out connections
    and was very handy. It has an Ali chip and works great. Better yet, it was
    only 12 bucks with shipping.

    USB2 card with internal pin-outs

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-201-206&depa=0

    I also ordered 3 of these USB2 external hard drive enclosures from Newegg.
    They are nice, cheap, (30 bucks) and work well. Hence my installing USB2
    cards in the 3 machines I have that do not have native USB2 controllers.

    Hard drive enclosure

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-145-314&depa=0

    So basically, if you have a hard drive laying around and a non-usb2 puter,
    you could put together a high speed backup solution for 42 dollars.
    Technology good! Fire bad!

    Michael-NC, Aug 11, 2004