USB NIC Group Policy not applying completely

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Microsoft News, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. I have a few Dell Optiplex GX280's with Dell wireless USB nic's and some
    with onboard nic's. We're a public library system and the above computers
    sit in the public space. Because they're in the public space we use a GPO
    setting that only allows certain .exe's to run. The GPO isn't a local GPO.
    The WEP and configuration .exe's on the PC's that allow the authentication
    to the access point are in the allowed run list. All PC's and servers are
    Windows 2000.

    The issue that we're having is when a USB nic'd computer logs in, the GPO is
    applied but the WEP .exe's aren't allowed to run and so WEP authentication
    fails. If a domain admin logs into the computer the Wi-fi system works
    fine. When the GPO is disabled and the public user account logs in, the
    Wi-fi system works fine as well. An interesting note is: When a domain
    admin logs on and the 'set' command is run, the value of
    'logonserver=localcomputer' is listed. If the domain admin account logs in
    again, in a consecutive manner, the value of 'logonserver=domaincontroller'
    is listed. Once the domain controller is listed, I can log off the computer
    and log back into the computer with the public account and the Wi-fi system
    works great. After a reboot though, the Wi-fi connection fails again. I
    know the GPO is getting processed on the PC because the other settings I've
    enabled are taking effect, no matter whether the nic authentication fails
    are not.

    The computers that use Cat5 don't have any issues at all.

    Any help would be great.

    TIA

    Rick
    Microsoft News, Mar 11, 2005